working out, morning or night?

Options
Does it matter? I have this urge to work out right now. I'm sure it's because I feel guilty for splurging tonight and just want to up my burn lol. So does it matter?

Replies

• missfluffyuk
    Options
    Working out at night can stop you from falling asleep. It gets your body pumping adrenaline (I *think* that's the one), but other than that, I don't think it matters.
  • SBelle83
    SBelle83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out in the morning but I usually started nodding off in class around 10 am. I now work out in the evenings and feel so much better. I am just not someone who can get up 6 in the morning to workout, even if I would go to sleep at 8 pm the night before. And I am pretty sure I could go to bed peacefully right now, so I guess it all depends on the individual.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You workout whenever is good for you. If you want to work out now then go for it... unless it's going to keep you up all night.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I normally work out about 10 or 11 in the morning.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I only work out at night. I work a second shift job, so I am a night owl. I'm known to be up until 2, 3 or even 4am. It is just the lifestyle I live. I've never had a problem falling asleep after I've worked out - but, again.. my body is used to me being awake until late and being active later at night.

Since I'm definitely NOT a morning person - working out in the morning? Well, it simply isn't going to happen.

To each their own, I say.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what works best for you! I prefer to do it in the morning before I get ready for the day!!
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I work out at night, and I have no problem with it. Go for it!
  • Kev383601
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the evening hours, I find it to be the best time for me. Like everyone else said, it's really up to you. I'd keep a consistent schedule though.
  • james_tew
    james_tew Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always work out in the morning. I used to work out at night after work but I found that I could never get to sleep. I also find working out in the morning gives me a massive high to tackle the boring life of work. Just how I see it.
  • SouthernBeauty89
    Options
    Honestly I think it just depends on the person. I'm a morning person myself! I just have more energy throughout the day & feel that I put more into my workout because i'm rested.
  • alltalk199
    Options
    Everyone is different, different situations, each to their own. Me, early morning riser, 5.30am work out at the gym, just before work, kids still asleep, sets me up for the rest of the day, my metabolism seems to be a lot better for it, burn more calories at this time for me.
  • anewdana
    anewdana Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm getting to the point where I'm splitting my workouts. I feel that working out in the morning gives me a good edge for the rest of the day. If I'm not able to get a full work out in I will finish up in the evening. If I've had a particularly stressful day or if I ate a little more than I anticipated I make sure to work it out in the gym later in the evening.

13782140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I do both.
    I do an hour of cardio in the morning and 30 minutes in the early evening after our dinner.
  • Boring2Fit
    Options
    Working out in general is better than not working out at all :)
    So if you want to work out now, go ahead
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I only work out at night. I work a second shift job, so I am a night owl. I'm known to be up until 2, 3 or even 4am. It is just the lifestyle I live. I've never had a problem falling asleep after I've worked out - but, again.. my body is used to me being awake until late and being active later at night.

Since I'm definitely NOT a morning person - working out in the morning? Well, it simply isn't going to happen.

To each their own, I say.

I work graveyard 11pm-7am. I too mostly work out at night. 1-2 am. On my off days I go back to a typical sechdule and work out in the early mornings too.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    I also say whatever works for you, and whatever you will actually do.

I'd like to be someone who wakes up at 5 a.m. to exercise (and God knows I've tried a million times) but it just WON'T happen. I am stiff and cranky in the morning.

I usually work out around 5 in the evening--I burn more calories because my muscles are nice and warmed up.

Good luck to you!
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Both have their advantages and disadvantages for me. If I exercise early in the morning before I leave for work, it sets me up to be motivated to eat well for the rest of the day. I also know that any other exercise I can fit in is a bonus. Sometimes that isn't possible so I exercise after work. As long as I don't do it too late and have an hour or two before bed once I finish, I find it helps me sleep really well. Ideally i would be a morning person all the time, but work can get in the way of that.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on your exercise routine... for me I like to get stuck into the gym at around 4.30am to 5am and this is when I do my weights... Why??? Because it gives me a chance to feed my body with enough protein through out the first hours after working out thus making more use of my workouts and protein intake. Some people would disagree with this theory. However If I work out closer to late at night I just cannot sleep, So it something only you know... there is no this is right and that is wrong
  • dani0626_diary
    dani0626_diary Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I say do it whenever you get the urge. I work 12 hour night shifts and I walk for 20-30 minutes around the parking lot on my break, which is around 2:00 A.M. On my days off I work out in the morning(ish). I like Zumba on Fridays, and I walk this really big bridge 2 other days of the week. I am about to add either the 30 day shred or some weight training. Not sure yet which one.
  • TurtleCrush
    Options
    I love to exercise at both times because it gets me going in the morning and at night because it makes me tired and have better quality sleep. Everyone is different so find out what works specifically for you :)
    Big hugs,
    Rebekah