Calcium Supplement

emtink
emtink Posts: 387 Member
i'm on a new medication, and my doctor says i should take a calcium supplement if there's a history of osteoporosis in my family (which there is). i am not a vitamin/supplement taking kind of person, and i was totally overwhelmed by the amount of supplements at the grocery store! does anyone have recommendations that aren't too expensive or obscure? i've heard that for calcium to absorb it needs other stuff like vitamin d or magnesium.... help!

Replies

• emtink
    i'm on a new medication, and my doctor says i should take a calcium supplement if there's a history of osteoporosis in my family (which there is). i am not a vitamin/supplement taking kind of person, and i was totally overwhelmed by the amount of supplements at the grocery store! does anyone have recommendations that aren't too expensive or obscure? i've heard that for calcium to absorb it needs other stuff like vitamin d or magnesium.... help!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    If you go to your local GNC, or Whole Food (the pharmacy section) all of their sales people are very knowledgeable, and can help you. I do take a calcium supplement with magnesium (3 to 1 ratio) and I also a vitamin D supplement in addition to my multi.

My naturopathic doctor says that quality does matter when dealing with vitamins, in terms of absorption levels, and the amount of fillers added (a good rule of thumb is that if it is in a gel capsule it has no fillers - if it is pressed into a solid pill - probably has fillers in it). They can get expensive, so probably best to see someone knowledgeable to determine which you need!

There is also a helpful site http://www.drweil.com/ that can help you see what you need for your specific needs!

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Calcium usually has vitamin D and magnesium and sometimes zinc. I would get Whole Foods brand or Nature Made - both are usually reasonable - if you check the labels - I'm sure there are other brands out there that are reasonable as well. If you are easily constipated, make sure you get it with magnesium. The zinc isn't necessary. Check the label for the amount of calcium per tablet you are getting. Many try to fool you into taking 3 pills a day!
  • emtink
    that already happened to me! :grumble: i grabbed a bottle and when i got home saw i'm supposed to take 3 times a day. and the pills are huge! and they have a gross vanilla coating. there's a whole foods about 20 miles away, so i can make the trip.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Just wanted to add that at my recent checkup my female Dr said that women should take 1200 to 1500 of calcium daily and 600 mg of Vitamin D...she said the vitamin D helps the calcium to absorb well...I told her that I had always thought that you shouldn't get more than 400mg of D...she said that was old school and that more current studies show that women need 600...
  • FatDancer
    I forgot to say hi to my beautiful Dancer...greetings Emtink...what's shakin'
  • emtink
    working on a new solo for a performance at the end of the month, my first time doing veil work on stage! a little nervous about it, but i'm reading 'grandmothers secrets' and its very inspiring. makes me give out hip scarfs to strangers and make them shimmy:tongue:

what about you? anything new in your dance world?
  • FatDancer
    That sounds so exciting! I know it will be a beautiful performance!

I'm just like you...I so love to turn women on to bellydance!

Only thing new is that my instructor had her baby, another son, and two weeks after giving birth you couldn't even tell she had been so pregnant...she's introducing us to some of her new choreographies...also, my boyfriend's daughter is going to spend her spring break with me, running around town and taking lessons from various instructors...the first time I took her to a show, she was hooked!

Please share your performance news with us...If you're ever performing in my town be sure to let me know...I'm there!