Yoga on a Budget :)

Options
Hey y'all,

I'm trying to get into yoga but without spending tons of money on classes and stuff. Perhaps in the future if I get into it and want to move to the next level I will but for now I'm looking for free online stuff that I can just do at home.

I just tried a video from Youtube from a channel called YogaToday and loved it: http://www.youtube.com/user/yogatoday?blend=7&ob=4#p/u/49/uItLmLRR2Xk

It was pretty basic, and not too crazy for me (fyi I'm probably 60 lbs overweight and have only tried yoga maybe 3 times before). I don't think I burned a ton of calories or anything but I figure at the very least the de-stressing will help me from overeating and strengthening my body will help make other exercise easier.

I tend to be pretty negative about exercise so it's nice to have something that helps me feel good afterwards and not awful...but I'm trying to change that this year. :)

So what videos do you guys like?

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have some element yoga DVDs and a Shiva Rea DVD, and they all have good points and not so good points. The element AM/PM yoga for beginners DVD is really for absolute beginners - I have progressed beyond it already! My Shiva Rea DVD has a variety of practices for a variety of skill levels - will be a while before I can do all the tricky ones though, cause the DVD is more for intermediate yogis (and beyond).
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Yoga Journal has a ton of free podcast - both video and audio.

I like Rodney Yee the best of all the videos you buy.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    yogainimary took the words right outta my mouth. LOL Rodney Yee ! FTW! I also like Jillian's Yoga Meltdown
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've heard that doyogawithme.com has free videos, though I haven't tried that one. Tara Stiles has a youtube channel, a dvd, and at least one, maybe 2, books. I have her Slim Calm Sexy Yoga book, and it goes through all of the poses and gives you practices for specific needs, like back pain, anxiety, digestive problems, etc. It would be a good read for someone serious about getting into yoga. I have a membership at the local Gold's Gym and they offer yoga class twice a week. My membership is $20 per month so that makes each class very cheap. This may not be as affordable depending on where you live, but just throwing it out there!
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have Shiva Rea's "Yoga for Beginners" and "Daily Energy Vinyasa Flow Yoga". The the second one is a lot harder than the first, but it gives me something to work toward.

A lot of yoga studios have community classes or donation classes which cost less than normal classes. I would definitely recommend going to at least a few of those if you can swing it, because the teacher can correct your alignment and help you fix mistakes you might not even notice you're making.

Also check your local library or community centre--my library offers 10-week yoga courses for ridiculously cheap.
  • Nicktemt
    Options
    I do Yoga X. (P90X). It's fun, and hard.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of videos on netflix and I also bought some on ebay for $1-$2. I figured at that price if I didn't like them I could turn around and sell the myself. They've all been good though!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump to check out links later:flowerforyou:
  • Hoaimy
    Hoaimy Posts: 16
    Options
    Steve Ross-Inhale-he was really popular about 12 yrs back. I love it!
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Candlelight Yoga is one of my favorites.
  • meee398
    meee398 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should check out Sadie Nardini on youtube. See has a lot of free routines, including a couple for overweight people, and she emphasizes doing a pose as far as you can no matter how far it is from the ideal one. In this way you can progress without feeling too overwhelmed.
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic, and for the links. I was looking for similar too so its super useful :)
  • Cupcake1015
    Cupcake1015 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just started checking out exercise DVDs from the library. that way you can try a few for cheap or free to see what you like!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Fit and it has Yoga on there. Fantastic game as it has jogging/cycling/aerobics/muscle exercises/yoga and loads of different games that are exercises too.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    check out yogayak on youtube too. Full length classes :)

love love em
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For yoga you could try other youtube channels like: Ekhartyoga and myyogaonline
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Those podcasts are Awesome! Thank you for pointing them out!
  • emilyc19
    emilyc19 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump! :smile:
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump