Zumba

Options
Is anyone doing Zumba, reason I ask is I have bought zumba on the wii and on dvd looking forward to doing it but starting properly when kids going back to school in a few days I used to run loads but cant anymore as have arthiritus in my ankle caused by injury now after running now i am in agony with it the next day so thought zumba would be a little gentle problem is i dont think its gonna burn anywhere near cals as running will :( anyone got any advice?
Bev

Replies

• MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD's and found it burnt quite a lot of calories once you got into it! It's not too far off a running calorie burn (like running, you can do it more vigorously if you choose to), but it is definitely a gentler work out! I use mine on days I can't bare the thought of doing a Jillian Michael's DVD!!! Have fun!
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba Exhilarate DVD's. Love it, just wish that I could get into a routine with it.
  • cardiogirl1970
    cardiogirl1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that problem too, its so hard to find time with kids at home to do it, dont wannna do it with them watching they will fall over laughing lol :D
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    Zumba is a really great workout! I did it for the first time this summer. Found it burned nowhere near as many calories as turbo fire but was roughly the same as running.

For your ankle you MIT want to consider getting shoes designed for Zumba. I don't own any but I hear they are really great and supportive.
  • skruger2112
    skruger2112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't find Zumba as one of the exercise on the list. Is it listed as something different? i would think it was popular enough that it would be an entry you could select.
  • Haile0314
    Haile0314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here - I did Zumba on my lunch today but could not find Zumba in the list. I thought for sure it would be in the list since Zumba is so popular. Any suggestions?
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Zumba burns more calories than most people think...I'm an instructor and believe me when you work out high energy in Zumba you WILL burn the calories..
  • BeckyLou828
    Options
    Hi,

I do zumba on the wii and its great. The calorie burn is fantastic and its great fun. I would recommend wearing some form of supporting shoes so that you don't have the impact of the ground shooting through your ankle when you get too much into the music and get carried away! :)

happy dancing!
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i had that same problem trying to find it on the list you have to add it. http://www.zumbacalories.com/. that will help you to find out how many calories it burns
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Zumba burns a ton of calories. Think 600-900 calories an hour. I am an instructor and we are trained to order the intensity of the songs for maximum calorie burn. I am sure the DVDs and game are similar. They cannot put zumba in the system because it depends on what you put into it. I log it as Aerobics High Impact or Low depending on how I rate my session.
  • Kdubuclet
    Kdubuclet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great. You don't feel like your working out because you are having a great time. With all exercises you can modify your movements to make sure you don't hurt yourself (your ankle). Zumba shoes are great, but on carpet may not be a great difference. On hardwood floor or aerobic floors, the best shoes would be zumba/dance shoes that allow for your feet to turn easier. But overall I love Zumba :D
  • mar120
    mar120 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am starting Zumba this week too. I bought it a couple of weeks ago, but the regular gym shoes I have were not working for Zumba. I just got my new pair of dancing gym shoes recommended for Zumba dancing and will be trying them out tomorrow.
  • kezzavee
    kezzavee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ive done an hour of zumba on the wii today , i bought the new zumba game and I have the old one too, and it really does get you warm :)
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I take classes twice a week. I also have the wii game. I do both, barefoot.

I use anHRM for calories, I find that zumbacalories.com overestimates by 20-40% depending on your weight (the heavier you are, the more you burn, but the margin of error is greater as well.

I wish there was zumba in the data base. But I just enter it myself.
  • BeverleyDunn
    BeverleyDunn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I bought the Nike XT Motion fit trainers in a zumba pink and they are really good. I have had problems with my ankles for years and these seem to work well for me. I wore them for a week at the international aerobics week recently in Fuertaventura and my ankles stood up to the challenge:smile: I do the odd Zumba class and I know if you put the effort in it burns a good number of calories - look at the zumba web site for the burn rate. Good luck!
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you wear a HRM, you'll get your calorie burn according to your weight and intensity. I find this is the best way to know how many calories you burn as we all burn differently. I added Zumba to my cardio exercises here on MFP,at the bottom where it says add your own
  • megw6911
    Options
    I have Zumba on the wii and you are going to burn a lot more than you think! 20 minutes on intermediate kicks your butt! It uses every muscle in your body and I have found it more effective than just getting out and running or walking. I do zumba everyday along with my elliptical twice a day and getting ready to start jillian michaels ripped in 30. You will lose weight and burn calories with this!
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have the dvds, i did one the other day and burnt 360 cals in 30 mins, so the same as i would doing one of the jillian dvd's