Measuring yourself

Options
How often should I measure? I just did yesterday but I think once a month would be good.. What do you think? How often do you measure?

Replies

• Dannelle123
    Dannelle123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definately once a month. I usually weight myself once a week, same day and same time. Sometimes it's hard to wait all week so I sneak a peek mid-week ocasionally!
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to measure once a week. I like to know where my inches are coming from, thats just me. :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I kinda split the difference and do it every 2 weeks...Like lbs., sometimes it takes a while for the inches to come off!
  • JenMarie826
    Options
    Great ideas! I think I am going to keep my weigh-ins to once a week and my measuring at least every two weeks! That way like you said I can keep an eye on where the inches are coming off! :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and take my measurements once a month.
  • _magnolias
    Options
    For me it's that same pattern, once a week to weigh myself and every two weeks to measure myself!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and measure at least once a month. :-)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I used to do once a month because I like to wait to see those big changes.

About 2 month ago I started measuring and weighing myself once a week on Sunday mornings. I do it this way now because I also measure body fat %, and by measuring once a week I can see if the numbers are going in the right direction and change things up if I need to after just a week. I was actually surprised to see how fast the inches and body fat % does change when you are on a solid eating/workout plan.

But, I also believe you have to do whatever works for you and keeps you motivated. Daily weigh-ins would turn me into a crazy person, especially since the body fluctuates in weight daily and during TOM I retain a lot of water.

But I always measure inches AND weight AND body fat at the same time.
  • ImJustMaryC
    ImJustMaryC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I Measure Once a week with weigh-ins.. But that is just me. It helps with motivation when the scale does not show the best number, it normally shows on the tape measure! :)
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My sister asked me a question but I couldn't give her an answer. Hopefully one of you measurers can. :)

My sister, a very large woman, has stunned the family by joining the gym and actually going. She's been going and working out regularly for about 7-8 weeks.
    Her trainer measures her arm, chest waist, hips and leg. In each of those places she has lost between an inch and an inch and a half which is great news. Go her!!
    However when she's weighing herself shes lost nothing at all.

The question I was asked and couldn't answer was.

If I'm losing inches and people are saying they can see I've lost some weight, how long will it be before I start losing weight on the scales?

I think she's begining to wonder what is the point if you don't get any lighter. Can anyone help with that question please?

• ImJustMaryC
    ImJustMaryC Posts: 7 Member
    Options

If I'm losing inches and people are saying they can see I've lost some weight, how long will it be before I start losing weight on the scales?

I think she's begining to wonder what is the point if you don't get any lighter. Can anyone help with that question please?

When you work with a trainer alot of times it reflects in inches because she is gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but also looks better than fat. Is she also working on nutrition/diet ? THis website has helped me along the way with this. Is she on myfitnespal.com? That plays a big part as well. depending on what type of body she has it could work slower in dropping weight. Tell her to be patient and it will show on the scale as well. And also change eating habits, it will start coming off. maybe slowly but surely. And that is a great way of building great habits to keep the weight off!

Hope this helps...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start measuring once a week, but darned if I ever get the tape measurer in exactly the same place twice in a row. Plus I think I was unconsciously holding my stomach in a little the first few times I measured. Now I'm being careful not to do that, though.
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

When you work with a trainer alot of times it reflects in inches because she is gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but also looks better than fat. Is she also working on nutrition/diet ? THis website has helped me along the way with this. Is she on myfitnespal.com? That plays a big part as well. depending on what type of body she has it could work slower in dropping weight. Tell her to be patient and it will show on the scale as well. And also change eating habits, it will start coming off. maybe slowly but surely. And that is a great way of building great habits to keep the weight off!

Hope this helps...

Hi Mary, thanks for the reply. :smile:

That's the million dollar question. I'm not 100% sure she is working on nutrician and diet. She's definately eating better than she was, but whether she is sticking to some form of diet is another thing entirely. She lives in denial a lot and has a neighbour called Mr and Mrs Fibs. :tongue: I can't question it or even suggest this site as she may take it the wrong way.
    an example of her denial in the past. I don't eat chocolate and sweets. This was true. but she was drinking 4 litres of full sugar coke every day.

I'm hoping that things may work for her even if it's being the hard way. She wouldn't even entertain the idea of going near a gym and she has and what's more she said she's quite enjoying it :noway: I think she likes that this trainer is giving her some attention. My sister admits that the trainer gets more excited by her inches loss than she does. I think my sister is more interested in weight loss as it shows it's working and the effort is paying off. She can't see any physical change when she looks in the mirror although other people say they can. I'm hoping that once the scales start going down then a window of opportunity will open in her head to realise if I eat better the results will be better. I can do this. That may be when she really starts to look at what she's eating. The fear is she will keep going and get more toned but will lose interest if the scales don't start going down. She's already talking about giving it 2 more months.