grocery list

Options
I need a healthy grocery list under $100 that will last about 2 weeks. I'm not a real big cooker, so quick and easy meals and snacks are what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of my journey, I found it helpful to go to the market and spend time searching for healthy foods and reading lables. Educating yourself is the best thing you can do. No one knows how and what you eat but you. Good luck.
  • KES519
    KES519 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good ideas. Thanks!:smile:
  • Chrisborro
    Options
    Get a bunch of those lean cuisine plus desserts meals. Yum
  • ViolaEverAfter
    ViolaEverAfter Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    smartones at target are about $2.50 per meal... reasonable cost for dinner
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I need a healthy grocery list under $100 that will last about 2 weeks. I'm not a real big cooker, so quick and easy meals and snacks are what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!

I use fitness buff, Tosca Reno's list for her Eat Clean Diet. You can print it out and take it with you. You don't have to get everything on the list at one time, but can use it as a general guidance to find healthy foods and most of it can create 2 weeks worth of food in one run. Most of my bills are under $100 and i get a few bags of groceries.

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/uploaded_files/downloads/ecd_grocery_list.pdf
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    smartones at target are about $2.50 per meal... reasonable cost for dinner

They're also great for lunch during the week...just grab and go!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_budget_friendly_recipes

Searching online for eating healthy on a budget helps too.
  • melbellkid
    Options
    I just got the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook for $8 at our local bookstore-it has tons of great low cal-healthy recipes that are easy on the budget too! They have everything broke down so you are getting the right quantities of the right foods and tell you exacly how many calories are per serving too.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_budget_friendly_recipes

Searching online for eating healthy on a budget helps too.

Great suggestion! It's better to cook/bake your own food in bulk and freeze some of it, than to purchase prepackaged foods. The prepackaged are loaded with unhealthy amounts of sodium, and you get more meals out of the cost that you spend to get multiples of the package. That's very important, especially if you have a family you are feeding, as well.
  • mla5100
    mla5100 Posts: 14
    Options
    thank you guys!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this is what hubby and i just bought for $96 at our grocery store - prices may vary! this will feed us for about 2 weeks, i'm guessing.

5 lbs of clementines
    bunch of bananas
    2 cucumbers
    1 green pepper
    2 big bags of salad
    2 lbs frozen cauliflower
    2 bags whole wheat pita
    copious amounts of yogurt, both Greek and regular, including one of those 32 oz tubs
    almond milk
    tempeh
    tofu
    apples
    pears
    fudgsicles (my guilty pleasure)
    cottage cheese (again, one of those hugs ones)
    mushrooms
    eggs
    canned soup
    dried beans
    lentils
    celery
    hummus
    2 large boxes of grape tomatoes
    2 lbs baby carrots

we also had some other random things in there like light bulbs and garbage bags, haha. you can probably get this cheaper if you buy all generic and more foods in season. also, groceries here are a bit expensive :/
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    Do not get any frozen dinners. They are packed full of sodium, and too much of that can cause you to not lose weight.
  • mla5100
    mla5100 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you! I went today, we got most of the same stuff ! Good luck to you, hard to do this in the winter!!!
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do not get any frozen dinners. They are packed full of sodium, and too much of that can cause you to not lose weight.
    I agree 100%
    People need to take the time to educate them selves..... Frozen foods, such as smartones, etc..... Does not mean you're eating healthy!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%
    People need to take the time to educate them selves..... Frozen foods, such as smartones, etc..... Does not mean you're eating healthy!!

Exactly!!! No soups either as they are packed with sodium.. buy the veggies and make your own soup without the sodium!! Investing a cookbook is an excellent suggestion. Cook on the weekends and place in containers for the week...
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like to eat but I buy frozen veggies ...stir-fry and brocolli. The frozen keep longer.
    I also like baked potatoes ...makes a great lunch with "a little" cheese and butter and some steamed broccoli
    I also like soups and chilis ...they make great leftovers
    I love quesadillas, so I always have tortillas and fat free refried beans on hand.
    Frozen fruit and bananas for smoothies, oatmeal or cereal.
    Pasta, quinoa, brown rice.
    Spaghetti sauce
    General tso sauce (you can use on meat or veggies and it's good with rice)
    Bocoa burgers or chicken patties (side these with sweet potato fries...super easy to make yourself, and cheaper)
    French bread (use with spaghetti and/or make french toast)
    My biggest recommendation is make things yourself and then split it up for dinner and then lunch the next day. It's healthier since you control the ingredients and you're getting several meals out of one dish.
    Also, make a salad at the beginning of the week. Then use it everynight on the side of dinner. A bag of spinach...add some carrots, celery, onion, cucumber, and tomato. Any left over veggies can be cut up and used in your soup or taken to work for snacking. I also always have min-pretzels and hummus on hand.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of my journey, I found it helpful to go to the market and spend time searching for healthy foods and reading lables. Educating yourself is the best thing you can do. No one knows how and what you eat but you. Good luck.

This is exactly what my husband and I did the first trip after starting this lifestyle. We were in the store for almost 3 hours. We were shocked at how bad a lot of foods are.