Do you burn calories when you sleep...

Options
Hey good morning and happy new year all, I bought this cool watch the other day it tells my heart rate at the push of a button.. it tells me how many calories i burn with a timer on it.. it has another timer.. it has a alarm.. its waterproof.. its a really cool watch i bought from the weight watching side of walmart, I wore it for the first time yesterday, and by accident i erased all info from my adventures in selling gs cookies with my daughters... we were out for around 5 hours walking around town.. it was a fun time... anyway after my shower i put it on to sleep in to see. and it told me i slept around 8.5 hours and burned 2000 calories, my question is how accurate is this and do you actually burn calories when you sleep?
Thanks everyone! :)

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hey good morning and happy new year all, I bought this cool watch the other day it tells my heart rate at the push of a button.. it tells me how many calories i burn with a timer on it.. it has another timer.. it has a alarm.. its waterproof.. its a really cool watch i bought from the weight watching side of walmart, I wore it for the first time yesterday, and by accident i erased all info from my adventures in selling gs cookies with my daughters... we were out for around 5 hours walking around town.. it was a fun time... anyway after my shower i put it on to sleep in to see. and it told me i slept around 8.5 hours and burned 2000 calories, my question is how accurate is this and do you actually burn calories when you sleep?

burn 2000 while sleeping 8.5 hours? I would say return the watch and get your money back.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You do burn calories in your sleep (you burn them until you're dead) but I don't think you burn that many unless you were sleep walking all night!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You are constantly burning calories every minute as you breath and your heart beats. But if your BMR is around 2500-3000 for most people (the calories you burn just being alive) 2000 for only 1/3 of the day and the resting 1/3 at that, sounds a little high to me, but I am no expert, but yes you do burn calories in your sleep, but only as a part of your daily metabolic functions.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    you do indeed - always, but not 2000 - lol

You burn between about 60-80 calories per hour - depending on your gender, weight, ect...
  • DeeBear
    DeeBear Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just the calories burning calculator on my phone and for me (I weigh 196) sleeping 8.5 hours would burn 634.7 calories.
    Hope this helps. Have a GREAT New Year!!!
  • CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, you definitely burn calories when you sleep. It's part of your BMR, the calories your body burns just by functioning (breathing, digestion, etc.). However, 2000 seems like way too much to be accurate! I use a BodyBugg to measure my caloric burn & I average around 0.8 to 1.1 calories per minute when I'm sleeping. Do you have it configured properly for your height & weight?
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg, i burn around 650-800 calories if I sleep until 8-9 am. There is no way you burned 2000 calories in sleeping, haha. Maybe for the entire day. I burn about 2500-2600 a day
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that's not very accurate.

What is your BMR? that's basically the amount of calories your body would burn if you slept for 24 hours.

Yes, you do burn calories while you sleep. But not many. If your BMR is 1500 then you would be burning about 60 calories an hour sleeping. So for 8.5 hours, about 510.
  • Somemass
    Options
    If you look under the "tools" tab there is a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator. It gives a general caloric use per 24 hours based on BMI (Body Mass Index).

2000 calories sounds pretty high for 8.5 hours of sleep, but if your watch calculates calorie use by heart rate, maybe you had some exciting dreams! :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yes you burn calories (thinking, breathing, digesting, moving slightly, maintaining body temperature, running repairs) while sleeping, but nowhere near 2,000 calories overnight

Go to tools on the home page and you'll find a BMR calculator. That gives an approximation of your basal metabolic rate per 24 hours, ie what you'd burn if you lay flat on your back and did absolutely nothing.

If you want a heart rate monitor to give a reasonable guess at calories burned (and then only for exercise) you need a proper heart rate monitor with a chest strap.

if you want to monitor estimated calorie burn 24/7 you can get a body bugg but they cost a fortune.
  • CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    But if your BMR is around 2500-3000 for most people

As a woman, I can tell you that 2500-3000 is not the BMR for "most" people! (Maybe for most men, I don't really know...) Oh, how I wish it were, though... That would make this journey SO much easier for me. :laugh:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

As a woman, I can tell you that 2500-3000 is not the BMR for "most" people! (Maybe for most men, I don't really know...) Oh, how I wish it were, though... That would make this journey SO much easier for me. :laugh:

Yeah, no kidding! I'd love a bmr of 3000. Even if grocery shopping would get more expensive!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I burn about 600 to 650 calories while sleeping a eight to nine hour night. 2200 calories daily
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia fit band I wear 23 hours a day. I burn 500-800 calories while sleeping. 2000 calories burned would probably be your total for the day.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes you do!! I took a nutrition class last semester. I dont know how high the number would be. Your BMR is the number your burn while at complete rest. You can actually raise that number to work for you, by eating right and exercising. The body will burn more at rest, but it takes a whole lot of time to make a drastic change
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    It would really depend on your bmr, and some key factors in that are your age, weight and gender (though in reality a lot of things effect our metabolism). I will say, most heart rate monitors are not designed to track calorie burn on things like showering and sleep so I would not really trust their accuracy on that.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options

Yeah, no kidding! I'd love a bmr of 3000. Even if grocery shopping would get more expensive!
    Oh me too, mine's 1090 right now and if I lost another 7lb it would only be 1050. Thank goodness for an active working day and for exercise!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

It is inaccurate. Approximately 70 calories per hour are burned when sleeping.

I presume that watch is a heart-rate monitor watch. They are only meant to be accurate during exercise, if used at all other times, the calorie counts are inaccurate. Even the manufacturers of the watches state the same.

(It sure would be good if 2000 calories were burned during eight hours of sleep though lol)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Of course you burn calories while sleeping, the body burns calories 24/7. However, a heart rate monitor is only designed to track calorie burn during steady state cardio exercise, it's not going to be anywhere near accurate for all day use, or weight training, or even necessarily intervals. It relies specifically on your change in heart rate, and compares your resting heart rate to the elevated rate, and calculates a calorie burn off of that. Your heart rate only applies to caloric burn while doing steady state cardio, where your heart rate is elevated a specific amount, for a specific amount of time. The rest of the time, various other systems take over that have nothing to do specifically with your heart rate, making an HRM mostly useless.
  • Mamao7
    Mamao7 Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Im going to check of the page you all told me about.. I understand that I did not burn that many cal at sleep.. I was just curious about how many you do burn. Thanks for all the info.