Liver Cleanse Calories

Options
I'm hoping to settle a debate between my husband and me. He wants to do a liver cleanse following the recipe below and has suggested that I do it too, as I have many symptoms of gallstones. My qualm with the recipe is the half cup of olive oil. That seems like a TON of calories to consume, not to mention the huge amount of fat.
Basically, the directions are to mix the ingredients together and drink over the course of several hours. The recipe is as follows:

1/2 Cup Olive Oil Extra Virgin (= 1.25 dl)
1 Big grapefruit (2 small) (Or 3 lemons)
4 tablespoon EPSOM salts = ( MgSO4 + 7H2O)
(EPSOM salts = Magnesium Sulphate = EPSOMITE = Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate)
3 cups water (=750 dl)

You would need to log the approximately 900 calories from the olive oil, right? My husband thinks not, as it would "go right through you" as part of the cleanse. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Also, has anyone tried a liver cleanse like the one above? What were the results? Thanks!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Nevermind.. missed the obvious. Sorry.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Sounds crazy, but what do I know? LOL If you consume it though, I would think you still need to log it...
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Ok, firstly - that sounds absolutely disgusting, don't you think? I don't think these type of things truly make any difference at all. I would rather take those calories and have something yummy and healthy!
  • RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unless you send a note to your gut to not digest the calories and fats, it will. Plus, unless your gut is smarter than mine, it can't read the note anyway.

If you consume the calories, you have to count them.
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I agree that I would much rather use my calories for actual food than for a cup of oil. I don't think I'll do the cleanse.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The original post was nearly 7 years ago. I’m sure the OP either fell for the woo or didn’t long ago.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Blech