Need to find a good recipe for a low budget

Options
Need to find a good recipe for a low budget , i lost my job and my husband too, and we have a very low budget and i want to find a good recipe for a low budget.

I want to still on tract for lose weights and the foods is very expensive too.

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i just saw a program called 'extreme couponing', where people were getting hundreds, sometimes even thousands of dollars of groceries for $0-$50, it seemed to be mostly storecupboard / frozen items rather than fresh, but if you are getting them so cheap you will have more money left over to buy the fresh healthy foods!
    i wish stores in UK were like that i couldnt belive what they were getting for free!!
  • JulieTremblay
    Options
    we don't have that here couponing
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    i just saw a program called 'extreme couponing', where people were getting hundreds, sometimes even thousands of dollars of groceries for $0-$50, it seemed to be mostly storecupboard / frozen items rather than fresh, but if you are getting them so cheap you will have more money left over to buy the fresh healthy foods!
    i wish stores in UK were like that i couldnt belive what they were getting for free!!

Extreme couponing is amazing but it is no easy task. The people on those shows say that it's like a full time job; they spend at least 40 hours a week going through coupons to make the deals work. Plus they have to buy a lot of things in bulk.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    As for low budget recipes, I'm also looking for those and it's tough. Try rice and vegetables; you can get a bag of rice for really cheap. Beans are also cheap and are a good source of protein. I make black bean salads quite often (lettuce, black beans, a little cheese, dressing optional). It's cheap and delicious!

Also, eggs. SO cheap and if you just use the whites they're low cal. There's a lot you can do with eggs!
  • rtell
    rtell Posts: 27
    Options
    Home-made soups are great, very nutricious, low fat and made with cheap ingredients.
    You can make bacon and lentil soup - dry fry off cuts or streaky bacon, a couple of rashers per person, add one chopped carrot per person, chopped broccoli stalks (save the 'flower' part for another meal), one tablespoon of lentils per person, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes and top up with stock or water, simmer until the lentils are soft and then puree, adjust the consistency and serve hot.

You can also use lentils, porridge oats or grated root vegetables to 'stretch' meat dishes, cut down the meat quantity and bulk up sauces with lentils, veggies or oats for chillis, bolognaise etc. this is also better for you as it adds fibre and reduces animal fat.

I hope you have a happier new year!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Taste of Home is my go to recipe source and they have a low budget section that I use quite often :)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Budget-Recipes

ETA: it is a US website so it uses cups and teaspoons and all that, so it might not be that useful to the metric users.