Japanese Onion Soup

Options
"Japanese Onion Soup". It's a broth based soup that is topped with french fried onions and shaved mushrooms, it is heavenly! Just like the soup served at our Japanese Steakhouse but only costs a fraction of the price!

Ingredients
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
2 quarts water (8 cups)
French fried onions

Directions
First off, the ingredients say "chopped" it means just cut it in half or fourths. Make it easy on yourself and leave the vegetables in large chunks! Alright, in a large saucepan or stockpot, combine the celery, onion, carrot, ginger, garlic, and a few of the mushrooms. Add chicken bouillon, beef bouillon, and water. Place the pot over high heat, and bring to a rolling boil. When the mixture reaches boiling, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 45 minutes. It can cook for longer than 45 minutes (sometimes I leave it on for a couple hours), you will just need to add more water if too much water evaporates. After it's cooked for at least 45 minutes strain the cooked soup and discard all of the vegetables, leaving the broth. Serve the broth with sliced mushrooms and sprinkle french friend onions over the top.

Replies

• mommyoverboard
    Options
    Serving Size 10 oz

Calories 25

Sodium 256 mg
    Total Fat 0 g
    Potassium 134 mg
    Saturated 0 g
    Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 34%
    Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 4%
    Iron 6%
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this one today and make extra's for lunches this week.

Thanks!
  • Tianna73
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • Stephie_W
    Stephie_W Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks,, this sounds yummy!

I don't like mushrooms, though. Anyone have any thoughts about a substitute? Maybe I'll try some shredded chicken.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    sounds good
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    Use the mushrooms in the "broth" but don't add them into your actual soup. The flavor is all you really need. :)
    Thanks,, this sounds yummy!

I don't like mushrooms, though. Anyone have any thoughts about a substitute? Maybe I'll try some shredded chicken.