How much is too much protein a day?

Ive noticed that my daily protein intake is always over the recommended amount. Should I try to cut back or is more protein a good thing?

Replies

• I'm always over my protein. As long as you're at or under your daily calories and getting the rest of your daily nutrients, I think it's fine.
  • miw14
    miw14 Posts: 43
    As long as you're still getting a good amount of fat and carbs, you shouldn't worry. If you're at like 40% or 50% of you're calories coming from protein, I would cut back.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    the recommended amount on MFP is very very low. Too low in fact, for someone who is dieting. So going over is just fine. Go over on protein as much as you want -- as long as you don't go over on calories.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    That is the million dollar question how much is too much. No one really knows this.
    Most protein applications suggest the 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight, others go by 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lean muscle mass. Some just take a percentage of their over all cals. Pro and Semi pro body builders can take 2+ grams of protein per lb and that still isnt too much.

IMO if you work out just take 1 gram of protein per lean muscle lb of body weight. Keep it safe and simple.
    If you dont work out then just take the MFP advice. Make sure you get your blood work done though.

Edit: yes protein is a good thing. When weight loss dieting it can preserve lean muscle tissue which controls your metabolism. It also rebuilds lean muscle. Protein is used in all sorts of your body functions such as hair, nails, cellular functions... GOOGLE protein!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    I don't know the answer, but I do know the it was recommended to me by my deitician to eat a lot more protein than MFP recommends, to help make sure my body doesn't start losing muscle mass along with the fat.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    I think MFP protein is very low, from what I heard protein is good??
  • Shock_Wave
    I don't know the answer, but I do know the it was recommended to me by my deitician to eat a lot more protein than MFP recommends, to help make sure my body doesn't start losing muscle mass along with the fat.

In a weight loss diet your going to lose some muscle mass regaurdless unless your taking steriods. Everyones body is different and I dont know at what percent of protein to injest will help you preserve the lean muscle on a weight loss diet. It might be low or it might be high but one thing I do know is that its better safe than sorry. I would rather intake more protien than not enough for sure!!

1 gram of protein per regular body weight for me.
  • AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Mine has been over to and I was wondering the same thing :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Mine has been over to and I was wondering the same thing :)

MFP's protein is really really low. I think they are just taking the safe route for the majority of people. If some one had a kidney problem and MFP suggested a high amount of protein then this might end up in a legal battle. If you are using MFP and you are a healthy person then going over MFP's suggested protein from time to time is not going make or break your diet plan.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    It's very hard to get too much protein - 100g or so per day is absolutely fine.
  • Shock_Wave
    It's very hard to get too much protein - 100g or so per day is absolutely fine.

Possibly for you but just make sure you get your blood tested and find out for your self that its absolutely fine.

I wouldnt say its very hard to get too much protein because even at 1gram of protein per lb my protein was high after blood work even my kidney levels were slightly elevated and my Doc just told me to make sure I drink more water. He said since I worked out he expected it to be a little high so I got an ok clearance for myself.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Thank you for all the responses, the info was very much appreciated!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Ive noticed that my daily protein intake is always over the recommended amount. Should I try to cut back or is more protein a good thing?
    It really depends on your goals.

Just go with the MFP settings and you'll be fine.
    My goals are big muscles, so I eat much more, but again, it depends on what you set out to accomplish.

Good luck.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I am really in two minds about this one. On the one hand when I was learning about sports science back when I was 18, we were told the average person needs a matchbox sized amount of protein a day. The national guidelines on nutrition in the UK state the average person needs 45g of protein a day, but MFP and most of the Americans on this site put the amount required at far far above this, over twice as much in some cases.

So I don't know. I think most people here are eating considerably more than they need, in all honesty, but I don't have that much evidence that that is bad for you. It is very bad for dairy cows, but I don't know about humans. On the other hand I have also seen absolutely no evidence that anyone does need more than 45g a day except perhaps extreme body builders. I often get that or even less and for a girl put on muscle very easily, as did most of the girls I rowed with from 16-22. There were a couple who struggled to gain muscle, but most of us were quite beefy.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't know, but I am living proof that it is perfectly possible to be fit, healthy and strong on less protein than most people here seem to think is necessary.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member

Most people get more than enough protein. But people who do resistance training to any great extent and older people tend to need more. Some studies say 1 gram per pound. Some people take far too much and that can cause kidney problems among other things. Or, at least most studies say that. Others say that's not true. Like everything, you can believe what you want and find a study to back your beliefs.

But I would say the max should be 1 gram per pound of body weight. That's only my opinion.
  • I wouldnt say its very hard to get too much protein because even at 1gram of protein per lb my protein was high after blood work even my kidney levels were slightly elevated and my Doc just told me to make sure I drink more water. He said since I worked out he expected it to be a little high so I got an ok clearance for myself.

I think this is somewhat key. My husband (my workout guru, personal trainer, man I hate on days I don't want to push myself past the couch) has always said that if you consume more protein than your body needs, you'll store some, but mostly you'll get rid of any excess. For kidneys to properly rid the body of anything excess, it needs lots of water! Stay hydrated!