Camping help

Options
My son and step son race motor cross. We are going to a weekend race Memorial day weekend. I need ideas for healthy snacks that will make everyone happy. Healthy lunches, treats ect! We have a fridge and stove and grill plus coolers. I normaly bake brownies, cookies, sloppy joes for fot dogs or as a dip. What would you take healthy on a camping trip?

Replies

• becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    My son and step son race motor cross. We are going to a weekend race Memorial day weekend. I need ideas for healthy snacks that will make everyone happy. Healthy lunches, treats ect! We have a fridge and stove and grill plus coolers. I normaly bake brownies, cookies, sloppy joes for fot dogs or as a dip. What would you take healthy on a camping trip?
  • staceyg
    staceyg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit and veggies!

Turkey or veggie dogs instead of the real ones, whole wheat buns for them. Really, when I go camping I eat the same as at home. Bring some chicken breasts to cook on the fire. Premake salads and bring them in ziplocs or tupperware. It just takes a little more planning. For snacks there are some great recipes for home made protein bars that you can make with raisins, cranberries, nuts, sunflower seeds that contain protein powder so they keep you full too. Cut them up and wrap them individually and you've got portion control!!

Have a fun time!:flowerforyou:
  • rediris
    rediris Posts: 3
    Options
    I have the same problem coming up next week. My second half is on holidays and we're going camping and i dont know what to do for food, so im pre-making some meats, like roasted chicken and cutting it up for salads and wraps. We're also bringing up a lot of veggies and fruits.
    I personally love low fat cottage cheese and tomato, and it fills the void, or yogart and roasted almonds.
    I hope that can give some ideas.
    Good luck and have fun :D
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    The kids are going to be the ones to suffer but they will leaarn!! Keep the ideas coming!!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What about kabobs... Turkey meat and veggies
    Deli sandwiches are healthy just don't use any mayo or cheese on yours
    I'm sure there are healthy versions of your favorite meals even the sloppy joes, using turkey meat instead of beef I dont know about the sauce but with a little research you might just find one:smile:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Most kids like chips, so perhaps opt for baked tortillas or cheetos. I like to make spinach dip, with ff mayo, light sour cream (this keeps the ff haters from realizing they're eating something healthy -:laugh: ), spinach, knorr vegetable dip packet, six scallions - white and greens, 1/4 red pepper and 1/4 jalapeno (no seeds) - with the baked lays scoops - a big hit with folks of all ages.
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Make trail mix with peanuts/almonds/Light on choc chips/light on raisens. Also, grill chicken breasts or chicken kabobs on a stick with vegs. Take popcorn and get a campfire popper. Have fun.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have also turned my bf into a chicken burger fan. 4oz per person of ground chicken, a tblsp of dry onion soup mix, spinach (canned low salt works great) of which I add as much as I want usu 1/4 per 4 oz of meat, chopped mushroom, onion, red pepper, jalapeno (obviously I like things spicy!), garlic and spices like cumin, paprika and onion powder, either one egg or egg beaters (1/4 cup) and quaker oats (or whatever lf version of bread crumb you have on hand - I like oat meal for the lf idea and protein to boot).

You could pre-make this at home and pack to make patties after yall fire up the grill or charcoal.......my bf SWORE he hated ground turkey and chicken, he LOVES them and feels like that 4oz of meat seems to make a huge burger with all the veggies and mix. I love it!