Please help with detox ideas

Options
I'm going to be doing a cleanse for 5 days to give my metabolism a little boost and am curious of what people do when they detox. I basically do the Gittleman fat flush but with my own little twists.

This is what I usually do:
-Drink a ton of water and cranberry juice (at least a gallon per day)
-Eat a ton of fruits and vegetables, lean meats only, and avoid all dairy, allergens, and take it easy on the carbs
-Avoid all fats except for Flex seed oil and Grape seed oil
-Drink a glass of hot water with lemon when I first wake up and before I go to bed.
-Flax seed oil (2 Tbsp), Green Tea capsules, vitamin B(something)

Last time I bought a cleanse drink at Freddy's and it did help (when I was done I was losing a pound and a half a week for about a month without exercise), but it had a ton of red coloring in it and it was way too sweet...it was like koolaid and I just felt wrong drinking it.

Does anybody have any inexpensive/natural ideas for me on what I can add to what I’m already doing? I’m going to try to make smoothies every morning and am thinking of adding beet powder and bee pollen to it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    yes. it is a waste of time. eat right and your kidneys and liver will do that
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be doing a cleanse for 5 days to give my metabolism a little boost and am curious of what people do when they detox. I basically do the Gittleman fat flush but with my own little twists.

If it makes you feel better by doing it, then by all means go for it -- but it doesn't boost your metabolism.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

My advice would be to not do it unless you enjoy the process or have a medical reason to do it.
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I completely agree... detoxes are a hoax. Your liver and kidneys do a fine job all on their own... but if you think you need to - by all means go for it!
  • mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    This first time I did this was because my liver results came back abnormal but not to the point where it was anything serious. After I did it, I noticed that I was losing weight faster. I'm not starving myself or anything like that. I still meet my calorie goal and go for walks. I just eat "healthier" for about a week and drink more water...I don't see any harm in that. I drank a ton of alcohol over the holiday season so I think my liver would thank me :happy:
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Detox can be very hard on your body. Eating "clean" as much as possible...limiting sugar, white flour and processed foods will make you feel like a new person and wieght will come off. I met witha nutritionist and this was her recommendations...it actually has helped limit cravings, I feel better and am loosing weight.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    go read kris carr's crazy sexy diet book :D its not a "diet" its just about food.
  • alexbowser
    Options
    This first time I did this was because my liver results came back abnormal but not to the point where it was anything serious. After I did it, I noticed that I was losing weight faster. I'm not starving myself or anything like that. I still meet my calorie goal and go for walks. I just eat "healthier" for about a week and drink more water...I don't see any harm in that. I drank a ton of alcohol over the holiday season so I think my liver would thank me :happy:

Sounds good to me, I might do the same. I've been eating really poorly over the holiday and drinking a lot. Eating cleaner for a while would probably make me feel a lot better.
  • ChanlynMay
    ChanlynMay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am still very new to this so this is my opinion only. From what you wrote, I don't think there is anything harmful in what you sre doing at all. I would think it would be a good way for your body to rid itself of any chemicals and such. Sounds like you are still going to be eating food, just very healthy food. Isn't it when people are going on the liquid only cleanses that it can be harmful?
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I use Amazing Holy Tea when feeling bloated... but I don't fast... I just drink 8 oz of this with meals and it does the trick.
    http://www.amazingholytea.com/
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I recommend Dr. Natura products. I have Colonix but they also have a detox program that I haven't tried yet. The Colonix program really helps clean your system out and made me feel better. It also made my tummy go down a little...guess I had bloating. lol.

Check out the website.
    http://www.drnatura.com/store?gclid=CLSisL39r60CFUhgTAodZxddmA
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of detoxes, but since you asked here is my input:
    Why the flax seed oil? I would recommend that you actually take fish oil instead, as the omega 3s in fish oil are more bioavailable ie it has EPA and DHA, whereas flax only has ALA which must be converted by the body to be useful source of DHA and EPA, but this conversion process is inefficient most of the time. Vegetable oils and fats are very high in inflammatory omega 6 which you need to balance out with anti-inflammatory omega 3. Also, you need some saturated fat for proper functioning.
    Also I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I've read that the herb milk thistle helps in liver care.
    Not sure if you had this in your original post but water with freshly squeezed lemon juice is really beneficial for a "detox" and in any case won't hurt, and look into dry skin brushing to assist the lymphatic system (and it's good exfoliation). :)
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Detox's are bad

Nuff said

They mess up your body, totally trust me my doc shrieked when I asked him cause you gotta lose it slow and steady or all your gonna do is gain it back, your body needs everything thats in food to survive ...

females no less than 1200 cals a day
    males no less than 1800 cals a day

why?

if you eat less your body goes into starvation mode which causes it to store which causes weight gain

3500 burned cals = loss on 1lb of fat
    3500 cals = 1lb of fat put on

low carb is key my dietitian says 150 or less per day is a pretty good amount =)

Don't call it a diet just be wise on what you put into your body and treat yourself when you meet your goals

lean meats, red meat and taters 3-4 times in a 2 week period, whole grains keep you fuller longer, heavier meals in the morning, sodium no more than 2400mg a day, fresh fruit and veggies, don't drink you calories, 8+ glasses of water a day, stay away from junk food/fast food/processed food, treat it when you meet your goals, um trying to remember what else

but i learned all this when I gained 195lbs from quitting smoking, got on track with healthy eating and workouts and lost 156lbs in 19 months (put some back on with stress of buying/selling houses) but back on track now =)

you can do it! Dont' Detox! unless you wanna end up unhealthier than before
  • mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice! Even the people who are aniti-detox. I really appreciate everyone's opinion!