help with mindset

Options
Hello, I read something the other day about setting your goal to get healthy instead of getting thin. I need some advice on how to change my mindset... Have you done this? How did you do this? I can't help but think of getting thin! Thanks a bunch! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• geohow11
    geohow11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello, I read something the other day about setting your goal to get healthy instead of getting thin. I need some advice on how to change my mindset... Have you done this? How did you do this? I can't help but think of getting thin! Thanks a bunch! :flowerforyou:

This is what me and my wife have done. We made feeling better our goal with weight loss being the by-product. Its working do far. Since May 15,2011 I have lost 142 lbs. and she has lost 73 lbs. To tell you how to would I believe take away from "Doing It Your Way" We believe that each of us has a unique way within us that is waiting to be discovered. It is In you and if you look you will find. Someone else's way will not work for you. We have a FB Page https://www.facebook.com/doityourway2012

YOU CAN DO IT YOUR WAY!!!!

Grace & Peace
    Geo
  • Michael_23
    Options
    In just taking that step to decide you want to change your mindset is a positive sign. Have your short term and long term goals in mind ( write them down ) Believe you can achieve whatever you put your mind to, as our mindset has control over all our body functions. Block out all negativity and most importantly commit yourself to hard work and discipline, there is no substitute for either of those.

Change "I Can't" into "I Will" into "I Did"
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking about what I want to look like, I think about all the things I want to be able to do. Hike the Appalachian Trail, ride horses again, take over the world (not sure how exactly fitness is going to help with that, but I'm sure it will be useful somehow! :laugh: ).

Not to say I don't care about how I look, because of course I do. But I focus much more on being able to do all the things I can't do now. And that, far more than what the scale says or what clothing I'd like to wear, is what gets me outside and walking/jogging or lifting weights or dancing or playing Kinect games.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthy and exercise you will get thin. If you don't eat to try to get thin then not only will you not get thin but you will make yourself sick in the process. Your body needs fuel to operate properly and if you give it healthy food it will start to operate correctly. If you give it crap food then you might lose a little weight but you won't feel very well. That's how I think about it. It also helps if you have a partner or kids(especially kids) who will watch how you are eating and learn how to eat right in the process. Even if you plan on kids later down the line you can use this as practice. Happy Eating!
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I appreciate your comments and encouragements!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think the two are very much linked.

For me, it's just about being in the moment. I have a goal weight, but what I set out to do was to improve myself each day. I know that this is never over - when I reach my goal weight I have to keep the same lifestyle I have now. People who try to get thin are people who see this as a diet and not a lifestyle change - the key being someone saying "Oh, I can't wait until I reach my goal weight. I'm going to celebrate with a nice big pizza and some chocolate, and I can start eating properly again".

To me, it's more "I should have a slice of pizza and a bite of chocolate if I want it - there'll never be a better (or worse) time for it".

It's about making the right choices every day and feeling better for it, knowing that this is never-ending for the rest of your life.