Support from family and friends

Options
Has anyone had trouble getting support from family and friends? I told my mom that I made it a goal not to eat fast food for a month and she laughed at me. She says I can't do it. I told a friend the same thing and, while she didn't laugh, she did say that it was going to be really hard and asked if I had a back up plan. Is this really an unreasonable goal?

Replies

• giantsfaninvt
    giantsfaninvt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's certainly difficult when your personal support system is less than supportive. But, this site seems to be the place to make some new supportive friends! Only you can decide what goals make sense for you, and if you believe you can do it, then you can. That said, it may help if you know ahead of time what you'll do if you're with friends or family and they decide to stop for fast food...can you sit with them and eat nothing, or does it make more sense to decide on healthier menu options (grilled chicken sandwich and salad instead of burger and fries, for example) and not feel as though you failed your goal? Just a thought. And whatever goals you set, there is support here in bucketloads!
  • lorainekc
    Options
    Oh yes, I've definitely had trouble with support from family. They sabotage like it's their job. I try very hard to set boundaries, but it's still hard sometimes.

I agree that you should come up with a backup plan (allow yourself to get a healthy option, or maybe carry snacks with you?). Or maybe do one month of only eating healthy options at fast food places and limit the number of times you'll visit them each week, and then swear them off for month #2. It will give friends/family the time to adapt to your changes. (I know that might sound silly, but I think some people get upset about losing an eating experience with someone, even if they don't want to admit it.)
  • exerbeast
    Options
    I know all about the sabotage! When I go to family events, there are always tons of deserts or junk around. And all of them know that I'm trying to lose weight and my control when sugar is around is precarious.

As for the avoiding fast food, I'm using Subway as a back-up plan because I don't really think of it as fast food (maybe I should be?). I'm also not avoiding "real" resturants, although they aren't always healther options.

Thanks for helping feel not so alone.

13251560.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • mareowner
    Options
    Ignore them! You can do it. :)
  • Michael_23
    Options
    Believe in yourself and don't ever let other people try distract you from achieving your goals. It will be a tough journey but keep that vision in your mind and you will exceed what you think you are capable of.
  • fatinjapan
    Options
    If this is your goal, I wish you luck. A couple of suggestions that may help:

1. Preplan your meals the day before (I make and freeze most of meals, almost a week in advanced)
    2. If you have family/friends that make it part of the routine to eat at B.K. (I have kids and sometimes we go to hangout and let them play for 30-45 mins ) BRING your own tuna fish sandwich or whatever.

Be prepared to have your will tested – seriously. Be strong and be determined - don't let ANYTHING sway you. IT’S YOUR LIFE, as long as it’s legal – DO IT and don’t worry about others.