A year has gone by

Options
i signed up to my fitness pal this time last year weighing in at 301lb although I had been as high as 330. With the help and support of people here along with a dramatic change of lifestyle I had lost 70lb by May and was fitter than I'd ever been despite the fact that I had started to suffer from pain in my back and side which was diagnosed as gallstones. After several doctor and hospital visits the pain turned out to be advanced bowel cancer with secondary tumours on my liver. Major surgery followed shortly after when the primary tumour stopped my bowel from working and I really appreciated being lighter as it made recovery so much easier. For the last few months I have had some pretty gruelling chemotherapy which hasn't been without it's problems but scans in November showed that the liver tumours were stable. I am now waiting on further scans next week and hopefully a break in treatment for a while. Today I weigh 189lb and hope to lose a further 28lb over the coming months. I miss swimming which I've been unable to do due to a permanent line in my arm but hopefully this will be removed so I can get back in the pool and try and recover some of my strength. The support that I have had from the people here has been amazing and for that I thank you all. Despite things not quite going as planned, I am proof that if you want something badly enough you can do it. Take one day at a time and enjoy the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and everything will fall into place.

Good luck to all who are starting their journey this new year

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    you have great strength. i will keep you in my prayers. i wish you well.
  • ax150
    ax150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow congratulations on what you've accomplished! Very inspiring
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story... very inspiring!!
  • jennykcmo
    jennykcmo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear of all that you have been through this year. :( But inspired by your dedication to your health. I hope you can get back to swimming soon and continue your journey!!
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration and you deserve everything you put your mind to.... You have done amazingly with your weight loss and are overcoming everything that's being thrown at you...

I feel very privileged (even though I haven't been about for a while) to have you on my friends list...

Big love xxx
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    What a crazy year! Wow! And you still managed to eat well and lose weight through it all. An amazing accomplishment to come out of such a trying year with such a positive attitude. Best of luck to you for 2012.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!