Split Pea Soup

This recipe takes awhile but it turned out pretty well. You could substitute the chicken broth/boullion with a ham bone or salt pork but of course that would change the caloric content quite a bit! It takes awhile to cook and you have to make sure it's done. Also it's supposed to serve 6 but a whole serving is too much for me.

Split Pea Soup

1/8 cup olive oil
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups Swanson 99% fat free chicken broth
2 cubes chicken bullion
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped new red potatoes, with skins
1 pound dried split peas, rinsed
1-2 tsp Mrs. Dash table recipe seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder if desired
salt and pepper to taste

Directions: In a soup pot, cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add broth, carrots, potatoes, boullion, and seasonings and heat to boil. Add 1/2 of the peas and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Stir often and skim foam off the top as it cooks. Add remaining peas and cook for another 40 minutes or until peas are soft. The soup should be thick and may require a little additional water.

Serves 6

Calories: 381
Protein: 35
Carbs: 100
Fat: 16

Replies

• I don't usually like spil pea soup, but this does sound good.
  • TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    I just made a similar one, added chopped ham. It's delicious and filling, and full of fiber.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'll bet the ham would make it better. It was good, but a little ham never hurt anything :)
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    sounds delish! split pea soup is an outstanding diet food, IMO.
  • Seems like it would be great to keep me warm on cold Alaskan nights.

/oscure Star Trek joke
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    If you can find them....smoked turkey necks work good. Use plain water instead of the broth and bullion. Let them simmer in the water for a bit before you pick the meat off the neck bones. It is a pain, but the flavor is well worth it.
  • althea22000
    althea22000 Posts: 28 Member
    This looks yummy - I think I'll try it with the leftover ham I froze from Christmas.
    Thanks for the recipe.