Car companies- rant

Options
Anna_Banana
Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
Okay, I work for a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, and the owners of the place own a GM dealership in the next town.

Yesterday my boss (who has been a dodge dealer for 67 years, and the garage has been in the family 86 years) was at the doctor (he's 83). I get a call from one of our states big news papers wanting to talk to him. The guy was wanting me to give him my boss's cell number and everything, and I wouldn't and finally the guy said that he was calling because our dealership is on the list of dealerships that Chrysler was closing. Then not a half hour later we heard it on the radio, and I got on line and found the list and sure enough we were on it. Chrysler hadn't even notified us yet. My boss got a certified letter delivered by UPS yesterday that told us they were shutting us down as a Chrysler dealership, but it wasn't until the intire state knew that we were being cut. Our phone rang off the hook yesterday, every news paper in the state called, all the local dealers that weren't being closed called wanting to help out, and all the other dealers in the state that are being closed were calling wondering what we are going to do. We live in a very small town (1,000 people) we are the only car dealer/garage in town . All the little old ladies look to us for help. we go pick up their cars at their homes and deliver them when ever they need anything done. It's just kind of sad.

The good news is that we are not closing (even though it's all over the news that we are). We just won't be a Chrysler/Dodge dearship any more. So I still have a job, but I feel so bad for my boss. Then to make it worse, our other garage, the GM place, got their letter today, that they will be closing.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Options
    Okay, I work for a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, and the owners of the place own a GM dealership in the next town.

Yesterday my boss (who has been a dodge dealer for 67 years, and the garage has been in the family 86 years) was at the doctor (he's 83). I get a call from one of our states big news papers wanting to talk to him. The guy was wanting me to give him my boss's cell number and everything, and I wouldn't and finally the guy said that he was calling because our dealership is on the list of dealerships that Chrysler was closing. Then not a half hour later we heard it on the radio, and I got on line and found the list and sure enough we were on it. Chrysler hadn't even notified us yet. My boss got a certified letter delivered by UPS yesterday that told us they were shutting us down as a Chrysler dealership, but it wasn't until the intire state knew that we were being cut. Our phone rang off the hook yesterday, every news paper in the state called, all the local dealers that weren't being closed called wanting to help out, and all the other dealers in the state that are being closed were calling wondering what we are going to do. We live in a very small town (1,000 people) we are the only car dealer/garage in town . All the little old ladies look to us for help. we go pick up their cars at their homes and deliver them when ever they need anything done. It's just kind of sad.

The good news is that we are not closing (even though it's all over the news that we are). We just won't be a Chrysler/Dodge dearship any more. So I still have a job, but I feel so bad for my boss. Then to make it worse, our other garage, the GM place, got their letter today, that they will be closing.

Thanks for listening.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I heard about that yesterday too. There are 4 in my area that are being dropped, one is a small town one very near here. One of the owners was saying that Chrysler is not buying back the cars or giving any of the rebates or anything like they would for a dealer so the dealer is just stuck with the cars. I think that is really underhanded, especially when the dealers are the last to know. Sorry for your loss, I hope all turns out okay for you.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    It never fails that news leaks are the way to find out about what is happening within your own company. Isn't that pathetic? I work for Wachovia and we found out through the media about Citigroup (last fall) and then Wells Fargo buying us out. Nothing was said to us beforehand by the company. :grumble:

I'm glad to know your place of employment isn't actually closing. I hope those little old ladies who really need your company's service can rest a little easier once they find out you guys will still be there for them. :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I know a lot of the people were in a panic, bc the news said we're closing. Pretty much all day I've been answering the phone and reasuring people that we will still be here.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    What a great way to save the car industry. Close hundreds of dealers so no one can buy Chrysler of GM car in their area anymore. People not buying Chrysler or Gm is going to save their company....How? Glad Obama's out there saving the car industry.
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is so sad - I'm glad you guys are staying open regardless. It's a tragedy that the American car industry is collapsing. It's an American institution - I'm originally from Europe, but the best cars I've ever owned have been American. Right now I drive an '89 Lincoln Town Car - it's a beautiful and graceful old tank and I've spent nothing (touch wood) on repairs, while my wife's brand new Toyota cost up $600 last time around!

TCamsey's right - how does this actually help the car industry? They need to shift that steel! There are thousands of unsold cars and if they close the dealers, how are they going to get rid of them? And what kind of message does it send to buyers?

It p*sses me off that their execs fly around in executive jets etc. when they clearly - CLEARLY - don't know their *kitten* from their elbow. We could run that business more effectively than they could.

Well, keep the faith, Anna_Banana! We're all rooting for you and the dealership.

Buy american!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I really think that the car companies were pushed into closing some of the dealerships, and they had to get rid of the ones with lower sales. Of coarse a dealership in a town of 1000 people are going to sale less cars than a dealership in a town of 100,000 people. But we don't cost them any money to keep us around. They just had to close some dealerships and we are one of the unlucky few. At least we can stay open as a garage, which actually makes us more money than selling cars. If we were to close, all these little old ladies would have to drive 30 miles to get their car serviced and washed and things like that. Some of these people haven't been out of this town in the last 20 years. It would be pretty tramadic to them.