Birth Control Pill and Weight Loss

Options
Birth Control Pills usually makes you gain weight when you start taking them. Does anyone know if you lose the 5-15 lbs. when you stop taking the pill?

Replies

• alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Birth Control Pills usually makes you gain weight when you start taking them. Does anyone know if you lose the 5-15 lbs. when you stop taking the pill?
  • momsie8
    momsie8 Posts: 16
    Options
    That would be awesome, since I'm going to quit taking them in a couple months or so.
    Love your profile pic, by the way!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks. Me and husband on wedding 6 yrs ago. My goal weight is in that pic. And I'm going off tthe pill in 1 month which is why I'm wondering because it would be awesome.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I went off the pill for a couple months then back on, i didn't notice any change in my weight due to me going off the pill.
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    i just recently stopped using the b/c patch and i lost 8 pounds in the two weeks ive been off. hope that helps
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've stopped taking the pill twice and didn't lose any weight after, but I also didn't gain any weight from taking them so... I don't know?
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was on BC for a long time. When I stopped taking the pill, I didn't gain nor lose weight. I have not heard too many weight things about BC pills but I have heard about weight gain with the "depo" shot(spelling). My friend gained about 35 pound with it :o(

I currently use the Mirena, which is GREAT by the way!! I have been doing very well with it!! It is very "stable" as far as the horomones go and my monthly friend has decreased by 90%. :oD

If any of you ladies are wanting a good BC, I recommend the Mirena (only if you are monogamous and have had a child).
  • Margy82
    Margy82 Posts: 63
    Options
    I lost weight when I went off the pill, but I was already losing weight from diet and exercise so I don't know if it was from that or not. either way, I wouldn't count on it, just do what your doing now to lose weight,
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    The weight is easier to lose when you go off of them but unfortunately it doen't just come off because you stop taking them, I've been off and on them a few times now, I always gain weight when I start them but never lose any extra when I go off them! Just remember everyone is different so it might just work differently for you!
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    usually you would lose weight but not always usually more with BC's that contain estrogen than ones that contain progesterone only and there are some that contain both so it may depend on which one you are using. BC's also can cause you to retain water so you may also lose some water weight. I would consult your doctor on this.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was on BC for a long time. When I stopped taking the pill, I didn't gain nor lose weight. I have not heard too many weight things about BC pills but I have heard about weight gain with the "depo" shot(spelling). My friend gained about 35 pound with it :o(

I currently use the Mirena, which is GREAT by the way!! I have been doing very well with it!! It is very "stable" as far as the horomones go and my monthly friend has decreased by 90%. :oD

If any of you ladies are wanting a good BC, I recommend the Mirena (only if you are monogamous and have had a child).

Just curious because we are pretty sure we are done having kids, but did it hurt? I've been on the pill so long but thinking I'd like to do something more permanent, but not too permanent. My husband wants to go in for the "snip snip" but I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment.
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    From the research I have done, the pills, shots, etc. are not what causes you to gain weight. The hormones in the pills make you hungry, so you eat more. That's how you gain the weight. That's also why you do not lose weight just from going off the pills.
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    no you dont lose weight because i was on my birth control for about 2 yrs and then i got off for 6 months and i didnt lose a pound.
  • becca51
    becca51 Posts: 19
    Options
    Studies have shown that the Pill itself does not make you gain weight. It doesnt mess with your metabolism--rather, the pill may induce food cravings. So, in the end, its what you choose to eat rather than the Pill itself.
  • mscottgr8
    mscottgr8 Posts: 11
    Options
    I had all kinds of problems with Mirena. I had my period for 6 months almost everyday. And I could not loose weight. I was dieting and working out with no weight loss. I had the Mirena out and lost 10lbs in about 2 weeks. Now I am going to try the thermal ablation to see if that helps.

cheers,
  • kyliepp
    kyliepp Posts: 7
    Options
    hi i thing it is different for some women
    because some women gain and some lose. I had gained
    when i went off the pill.
    but I went off the pill to have a baby?
    :brokenheart: :cry: because I have to lose weight because of
    pcos. its so hard.
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    No idea. But even if it did work that way I wouldn't be ditching it. Kids are cute, but they're also the last thing I need right now.
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    I had all kinds of problems with Mirena. I had my period for 6 months almost everyday. And I could not loose weight. I was dieting and working out with no weight loss. I had the Mirena out and lost 10lbs in about 2 weeks. Now I am going to try the thermal ablation to see if that helps.

cheers,
    i just had this done 4 weeks ago and so far so good. spotted for 3 days in comparison to the 9 days and changing every 20 -30 mins. good luck.
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    The birth control pill YAZ is suppose to help you lose weight according to what my doctor told me.
  • elatoria
    elatoria Posts: 30
    Options
    I was on the depo shot for awhile and gained almost 10lbs. I stopped taking it in january and haven't lost a single pound. My guess is depending on what you're taking, you'll still have to do a little work to lose the pounds.