Losing weight with dvds

Options
Has anyone had great success only using dvds to work out?

I tried C25k but dealt with shin splints which made keeping on pace tough. I don't have money for a gym because I have three kids in private school.

What other options are there?

Replies

• Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I use workout dvds for my main workouts, though recently I added in running. I have lost weight using dvds as my only workout. If you need ideas for which dvds are the best, type dvds into the mfp search bar to get tons of ideas. I love working out at home- I'm much more likely to workout if I don't need to leave my house.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    My best friend -- my inspiration -- had one which starts out with 20 minutes of cardio, then 10 minutes of weights (with dumbbells she has at home) and then 15 of yoga. She's lost more thann 10kg and kept it off. She also goes for walks and watched what she eats very carefully -- but even over the Christmas season she's allowed herself to eat more, exercise less and hasn't gained a whole lot of weight.
  • jbiancad
    jbiancad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I go on exercise on demand on my tv and do like the leslie sansome walk at home/ julian michaels, and pilates. I was on a great roll losing weight until I started school in the fall and it completely threw me off track
  • leahnorris
    Options
    I've had a trainer, done the P90 series and now doing Insanity. (I like to change it up :)). Love Insanity. Only 45 minutes at most and hard workout.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I use DVDs all the time. Jillian Michaels (30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 , No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism), Bob Harper (Yoga for the Warrior is my favorite but his whole Inside Out Method Series is great), Leslie Sansone (Walk At Home), 10 Minute Solution (a HUGE variety of options available in this series).

Hopefully you could modify any of these so they don't aggravate your shins.

Try the local library and Netflix - most of these are available to check out/rent.

I recently started doing TurboFire at home - intense but effective so far. My cardio has improved dramatically and I've started losing inches. :happy:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 day shred and p90x and had great results. Actually starting tommorrow I'm doing insanity, so I'm all about the dvds!!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I did calorie restriction only. Then I started adding in time on the treadmill. Then finally I bought the 30 Day Shred DVD by Jillian Michaels. I lost weight the entire time (b/c I was balancing my calorie consumption with my activities) but by adding in the weights and toning exercises in the Shred workout I have seen much more improvement in muscle tone and inches lost. There are lots of great workouts out there that you can try. I started with this one b/c it combines strength training, cardio, and ab exercises and happens to be popular b/c people that stick with it get great results. Next I'm moving on to alternating several other Jillian Michaels DVDs - No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, Yoga Meltdown, Ripped in 30, and Extreme Shed and Shred. I might throw in some oer non-Jillian workouts and some running here and there as well. I stuck with the Shred for 30 days, now I'm ready for some variety. :-)
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have used dvds at home and have done well also,I did start running almost two years ago and really lost the weight.But I have had some health issues that stopped me from running,but I planned to get started back up ASAP! I have used Walk Away the Pounds..and Jump Start with The Biggest Loser.As far as shin splints , I had that problem before and I wasn't stretching enough before or after runs.I also learned that the right running shoes played a big part.Make sure you have proper fuel before a run ..
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Walking, running (check out Jeff Galloway for your shin splints problem), wii games and workouts, dvd workouts, iphone/ipad workouts, playing with my son. Whatever I can fit in.

Pam
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    I've done P90X and it was probably the best DVD workout I've ever tried. You can also run; which works effectively and won't cost you anything.

Another alternative would be using Youtube videos to get lean and fit! There are a few good ones there:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ToneItUpcom
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RumianaIlieva <--this chicks are probably my favourite!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNh7_xPIUvE&amp;feature=channel_video_title
    http://www.youtube.com/user/genghisgirl <-- this chick offers a variety of 4 minute rush workouts and all easy to follow at home

Those are a few I like, but if you browse around you're sure to find some more & the best part is you can make playlists! So, if you like a vid by one and would like to also combine it with one from another you can. Variety is best.

Enjoy (:
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    http://www.collagevideo.com/

This is a great site for videos, and they have clips of most of them too. YouTube can be another source for checking out DVDs.

I will say that the Walk Away the Pounds series is good for people needing low impact.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X and it was probably the best DVD workout I've ever tried. You can also run; which works effectively and won't cost you anything.

Another alternative would be using Youtube videos to get lean and fit! There are a few good ones there:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ToneItUpcom
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RumianaIlieva <--this chicks are probably my favourite!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNh7_xPIUvE&amp;feature=channel_video_title
    http://www.youtube.com/user/genghisgirl <-- this chick offers a variety of 4 minute rush workouts and all easy to follow at home

Those are a few I like, but if you browse around you're sure to find some more & the best part is you can make playlists! So, if you like a vid by one and would like to also combine it with one from another you can. Variety is best.

Enjoy (:
    Bump for more research
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    EVERY pound I've lost since 2005 has been because of DVDs. I was 212lbs in 2005, and started with Turbo Jam, fell in love, and I've used nothing but DVDs ever since. :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    zumba, zumba, zumba
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I used to buy DVD's like crazy. I have so many and now they just collect dust. I am one of those people that gets VERY bored doing the same workout everyday. I've tried doing JM 30 day shred 4 or 5 times now and I cant get past doing it longer then a week. So boring! I've tried rotating the DVD's everyday to make them different but I still find that boring too.

Anyways, on to the point. The BEST workouts I have ever done and will continue to do forever will be BodyRock.TV workouts. I love everything about them. They are free workouts online, you don't need to buy a ton of equipment (It's so easy to modify any of the exercises to use just your body weight, its what i do!), so you really only need a timer and you can download free ones on your phone or ipod, there are HUNDREDS of workouts posted so you can pick a new one just about every day, and they are still posting new ones all the time. I highly recommend them. I've seen such amazing results with them that no DVD has ever been able to do for me. My thighs are so hard to get smaller and I lost inches off my thighs just doing the BodyRock workouts in 2 months. I think you should check it out!
  • BRITTBBGC
    BRITTBBGC Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost 28lbs and didn't go to the gym once. I use youtube and do high intense intervals cut out non sense and watch my calorie intake
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    So, how long are you working out a day using DVDs. I've done the 30DS for 5 days now and often I feel like I'm just getting warmed up and then it is over. Should I be doing it twice? Or two videos a day?

Thanks for all your answers!

I have a long history of watching my mom, aunts and grandmother battle weight with fad diets and DVDs. They would either never lose, or lose and gain, lose and gain. They were always down on themselves and talking about how fat they were when I was growing up. Very low self esteem. I hated it and vowed to never let my kids see me like that.

I don't care as much about getting super thin as I do about getting in to a healthy weight range (only about 15 lbs to be on the high end for my height) then maintain and become more fit.

Thanks everyone!
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have memories of my childhood watching my mum in the living room doing her Jane Fonda workout video. :D

I think it you're sticking to your calorie limit and do exercise DVDs regularly then you should lose weight. I personally don't like them because I always seem to injure myself using them. I'm happier to stick to hand weights at my own pace and going out running.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My family liked Richard Simmons. LOL.

I'm going to go try some running again, I just know what happens every single time. Even when I start super slow.