can't get passed the mental part of it all

Options
Counting calories is easy. Working out is easy. The mental/emotional part of it all is hard.

I know that right now the amount of calories I am eating is at an unhealthy low, but I don't know why, but I can't seem to bring myself to eat more. MFP says I need 1200 calories a day. Over the holidays I was at more like 400-550 a day. I know it was unhealthy and I have managed to get it to 700 a day, but still I hear that that is way too low. The problem is that I know this, but it's like I'm scared to let the number reach 800. AHH! Sometimes I am just too overwhelmed by it...

Replies

• bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Can you explain why you're scared to let the number reach 800?

You really should be eating at least 1200 cals per day - I think you need to find some balance! If it makes you feel better, stick to healthy food like fruits and veggies.

You should also add some people from here as friends and get inspiration from their success and their food diaries!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    In High School, I always skipped breakfast and lunch because I was afraid of getting "big." What finally scared me into eating more was my Health Class. We started talking about eating disorders and the teacher said that "if you don't eat enough food, your body will start eating away your muscles---which could include the lining of your heart, etc, which could cause potential health problems down the road."

NOW, I am not a fitness expert or anything like that so I don't know how true that is, but it scared me so much. After that I began eating more. I didn't want my body to start eating away at my organs---especially the lining of my heart. Hopefully, just thinking about what you are doing to your body will make you want to start eating more...
  • amonkey9
    Options
    Can you explain why you're scared to let the number reach 800?

You really should be eating at least 1200 cals per day - I think you need to find some balance! If it makes you feel better, stick to healthy food like fruits and veggies.

You should also add some people from here as friends and get inspiration from their success and their food diaries!

I don't really know why I am scared. I know it's unhealthy and I am trying to change it, but the thought of gaining weight scares me. I had been overweight my whole life and that makes school very rough. I never want to be like that again so it's hard to get used to 'adding' calories, especially because it's not like I am hungry. In fact I am satisfied with the food I eat. I was by no means trying to starve myself, it just happened.
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Instead of overwhelming yourself (and likely your body since it's used to low calories), why don't you make it your goal to add 1 thing a day to increase your calorie count? You'll be able to build up food items/quantity over time and your anxiety over gaining will be limited. Feeding yourself properly is the only way to truly lose weight.
  • It is good that you recognize your personal fears regarding food.
    From what you've stated, it seems like there is a possibility of other triggers in your life which also cause anxiety.
    When you start to feel overwhelmed, what types of thoughts come to mind?
  • amonkey9
    Options
    Usually when I get overwhelmed I seem to direct it at my diet. I feel that I am eating too much or I am eating the wrong food. I also freak out and feel like I will not lose the weight which makes me very discouraged and can cause me to sometimes lash out at my parents due to the emotional toll weight loss can have :/
  • fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The scary truth is, at first when you start eating a proper amount of calories you very well might put on a bit of weight at first. Right now your metabolism is most likely in starvation mode, and is clinging desperately to what little food it's getting.
    Think of it as an episode of Hoarders - your body is hoarding everything it can get, and you have to teach it that it can "trust" you to give it the right amount of food before it will be willing to give up what it's got! But rest assured, if you're eating right and exercising, healthy, sustainable weight loss isn't far behind!
    (I also agree that you may need to work yourself up to a healthy amount - suddenly stuffing yourself with twice as much food as your body's used to is more likely to make you sick than anything else)
  • It's possible that the source of your anxiety is deeper than just eating and exercising. I'm guessing that there are probably certain triggers (sources of stress) that cause you to become overwhelmed and thus obsess on your weight. I'm sure that all the pressure at school has been heavy on your emotions, so I can see why you would be afraid to gain weight.
    What things in your life make you the most worried, in general?

By no means do I want to scare you, but from everything you've said, it's possible you're at high risk for this to become a serious issue. Particularly if you are still an adolescent (under 25), you should be eating at the VERY minimum, 1200 calories every day. So, I don't want to overstep my boundaries (and apologies if I have), but I think the obstacle is most likely an intense fear of rejection. A solution for this is converting that fear and the negative thoughts about gaining weight into a motivation to be healthy and confident.

Here is a tip: Start out by trying to change the way you think by changing the things you say to yourself in your own mind. First, keep a sheet of paper with you, with a line drawn down the middle of it. When you start to feel overwhelmed, write down what fear you are feeling (i.e. "If I eat 1200 calories, then I will become fat, and no one will like me") on the left side. On the right side, write down something positive, encouraging, and motivating "If I eat 1200 calories, then I WILL be a normal, healthy, strong young woman, and people WILL like me"). When you've written them all down, cut the paper down the line, take the left side and burn it, throw it away, flush it, etc. When you do so, tell yourself (in your head, or out loud) "I am beautiful, I am healthy, I CAN do this". Then, cut out each of the statements you've written down on the right hand side. Keep one in your wallet, by your bed, in your purse. When you see them, read them to yourself (again, in your head, or out loud). Make a habit of saying them every time you wake up, before and after you eat, before you go to school, when you come home from school, when you work out, before you go to bed. Any time you start to feel overwhelmed, repeat one of those positive statements to yourself. It is normal, at first, for you to question the new statements, but with repetition, you will start to change how you think about this difficult process.

Again, sorry if I'm saying too much. I realize how INCREDIBLY frustrating the social/peer pressure toward thinness is, ESPECIALLY during the adolescent years. :wink:
  • lalaloserpants
    lalaloserpants Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    it's like I'm scared to let the number reach 800. AHH! Sometimes I am just too overwhelmed by it...

me too, I was at 922 yesterday and the guilt I felt was insane! I felt so gross :/
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    okay it seems to be a mind barrier that is there for a lot of people on here.

MFP set my calorie limit to 1200 and that was just stupid.. I raised it and I started losing more weight. Your body is most likely in a starvation mode at those calories. What you need to do is eat more food, but foods that promote a healthier metabolism. This could result in a short term weight gain but once you get past that and your metabolism starts to fire up then you can start eating more and you will notice the weight falling off.

I honestly suggest doing some research, look at other peoples diaries and see where you can add calories and healthy fats and so on to promote a healthier metabolism.

As you say, it is a mind barrier, so you may struggle at first but once you get those calories up and start eating more and seeing the weight fall off you will be happy you did it. It will also leave you feeling more energised and healthier.