New here!

Options
Wow...there seems to be a lot of new people today! I'm one of them!

I am trying to shed those last stubborn 5lbs and eat better in general. According to my dr, I am "at risk of" being at risk of diabetes. My numbers have been normal for more than an a year, but they're what my dr calls "high normal." Since I was only about 35 or 36 when he ran the first test, he was concerned. More concerned than I was, but he won the battle and I had to get retested every 6 months for a while. I'm down to one test per year now and my numbers are pretty stable, so I'm happy.

In that time of being tested, I started eating better (or trying to anyway!) and exercising. I discovered that I like to run (who knew!) and since then I've done five 5Ks and one 8K. I'm pretty slow, usually at the back of the pack, I run some, I walk some, but I've finished every race. My very first timed 5k was a day that it was 98 degrees with about enough humidity to choke a horse! But I finished and that's all that matters to me!

My goal this year is to lose those last 5lbs and to run an entire 5k with no walking. I also want to run the Warrior Dash and my friend wants me to climb a building in Chicago with her (!!!) for one of those charity fund raisers. So I have a lot of reasons to get this right and make 2012 my year of "YES I CAN!!!"

I am looking for cheerleaders and I will be a cheerleader for you as well!

Jeanette

Replies

• StacyRDH
    Options
    I'm new too! But, I've got some weight to lose and I've got a goal to run a 5k in March! :) let's be supportive to one another ;)
  • MarkKnoxx
    MarkKnoxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm new here and was also diagnosed as "borderline". I'm really glad your hard work paid off and your numbers are stabilized! You are welcome to add me if you like but definitely no pressure. :)
  • pollysmom
    Options
    Thanks! I sent you a friend request!:bigsmile:
  • creeperlegume
    creeperlegume Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! But, I've got some weight to lose and I've got a goal to run a 5k in March! :) let's be supportive to one another ;)

Have you tried the C25K program to help get you ready for your run?? It's great!!
  • crystal84rose
    crystal84rose Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I'll help you out too! Can always use more friends. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • pollysmom
    Options

Have you tried the C25K program to help get you ready for your run?? It's great!!

C25K is what I used to get ready for my first 5k...I highly recommend it! My park district has a beginners run club to get us ready for the 10k in May, so I signed up for that, we start running in February. My knees get crabby when I run, so I am working on strengthening them for now and laying off the running a bit. I can't wait to get back to running though!