Lean Pockets *hides under a rock*

Options
Ok I know I should avoid any food that is meant to be diet food from frozen food section but omg these are so good, but I'm oblivious to know wheather or not they are ok for weight loss. Any input TIA

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I love the pepperoni hot pockets, but don't care for the taste of the lean version. They seem to be a bit high in fat. One regular hot pocket is about 340 calories, and the lean one was about 270. For me, I've decided that I should not eat them very often.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Beware of the sodium! They certainly aren't the best option but like anything... moderation. If you have one every now and then with some fruit, well, you could definitely have a worse breakfast.
  • jbiancad
    jbiancad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to eat those a lot and I still lost weight
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'll agree they are delicious. But yes, they are full of crap. If you're okay with that, then they will be fine for weight loss as long as they fit in your calorie goal, as with any food.
  • cameralinds
    Options
    I used to like hot pockets, but I kind of grew out of them. They're filled with sodium too. :/
    Plus, I can't help but laugh anytime I think about them because of this man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaLpVzPxY6w&feature=related

I couldn't embed it for all to see. But it's humorous.
    After the first minute, of course.
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them! I know I should care more about the ingredients, but I can only focus on one thing at a time and right now I am focusing on staying under my calorie goal for the day. During the week, I generally eat a sausage, egg, and cheese one for breakfast and then another one for lunch. They helped me lose 17 pounds in two months!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I used to like hot pockets, but I kind of grew out of them. They're filled with sodium too. :/

Jim Gaffigan's Hot Pocket routine is one of the funniest things ever. When I pass them in the grocery store I even sing the high-pitched "Hooot Pooockkets" to myself... or sometimes out loud. :laugh:
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you like the frozen foods. Me too. We know it's better to cook our own foods and eat well, however if you are going to eat the frozen foods, check into Lean Cusine. At least they control the sodium and don't use preservatives. So they say. Much better for you than Hot Pockets. Sometime I just don't feel like cooking. Keep at it you'll make it.
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    I'm ok with anything that is low calorie. Lean pockets are low cal and make a great meal alongside pretzels. I also include grapes and of course a bottle of water. Calories in Calories out - as long as you're counting and putting the work in. You should be ok eating whatever you like.

Pay attention to the nutritional facts that you are eating a day. Carb, Salt, Sugar intake. Stick as close to what MFP recommends as possible.

Good luck!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    You should try making your own!!!! Food network has great recipes. Use some kind of dough, pie crusts, philo dough, cresant rolls, etc. Put what ever filling you want in them. Bake them then freeze them and pop them in the micro when you're hungry..
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Remove from box. Place directly in toilet.-Jim Gaffagin
  • alexbowser
    Options
    If having an occasional lean pocket can quell your craving for processed foods, I'd say go for it. Try to have a big salad or plate of vegetables with it. Sometimes I let myself have one of those frozen meal bags, they're really tasty and even though I love cooking, it's nice to do something different when I'm tired.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them! I know I should care more about the ingredients, but I can only focus on one thing at a time and right now I am focusing on staying under my calorie goal for the day.

This ^^^. They're healthier than a lot of things you (I...) could be eating. Grab-and-go is the name of the game for me, so if it's a choice between Lean Pockets and a muffin or bagel, I think Lean Pockets are a pretty good choice. I agree with the Lean Cuisine recommendation, though. Some are awful, but some are pretty good.
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    I ate one almost daily for the first month of my weight loss. I lost 10 pounds in that month. One serving is only one pocket, I just made sure I always worked out after eating one. =) Have you tried the Chipotle Chicken one? They are so good!!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options

After the first minute, of course.

I don't even need to watch the video to know that it's Jim Gaffigan... Hooooooooooooot pockets.....

I used the eat the meatball lean pockets in college but I havent had any in a long long time.
  • Ok I know I should avoid any food that is meant to be diet food from frozen food section but omg these are so good, but I'm oblivious to know wheather or not they are ok for weight loss. Any input TIA

its ok actually, i am allowed to eat a large cheesecake every 3 weeks all to myself :) i think i look respectively lean even though
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    I eat those all the time! They taste great and I don't see a problem!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    There used to be a brocolli cheese Lean Pocket that was a great option for me. It is higher in sodium than necessary etc but it was a great way to retrain my mind and body as to what appropriate sizes were as one Lean Pocket was enough but it wasn't the same as the sandwich and chips and ...and ,,,,, that I used to have...When I switched to a Lean Pocket and a piece of fruit or some counted out pretzels etc I started dropping weight. Over time I couldn't find my favorite choice and I didn't eat them that often anyway as I was paying more attention to getting good foods not just losing weight. There is no harm in my opinion in convenience foods as a kick start or a readjustment as they can be better than not doing anything. Just have it a goal to find a few alternatives after a month or two of this journey and I am sure you will find alternatives that are far more satisifying.