24 Y/O looking to lose 57 lbs and add friends

Options
Hello all! I have only been here one week, but I realized I need to get some friends on here to stay motivated and encouraged. Here's a little about me.

Since coming to graduate school in August of 2010, I have gained 40 (!!!!!!!!) lbs. It was a combination of EXCESSIVE stress, eating terribly, overeating (thanks, stress! ha), and general lifestyle change shock. Also, my 2 year relationship crumbled right before my move to go to school again. So, there was also some depression thrown in there for good measure. This year I went back on my anxiety meds thanks to panic attacks returning after 3 years of their absence.

Anyway, I knew I had gained weight since coming here, and i felt TERRIBLE about it. However, the real shocker was over the holidays while I was home visiting my family. My sister suggested seeing a doctor about possibly having a thyroid problem. I thought, "Wow, it has gotten so bad, that my sister thinks I have a real problem. yikes!" So I went to the doctor (no thyroid problem, found out a few days ago) and I stepped on the scale and almost had a panic attack when it said I was weighing in at 207! Now, I am 5'7" which is slightly taller than average, but I realized just how overweight I had become. My doctor recommended MFP to me, and I joined that very day.

I am looking forward to making this change in myself and feeling proud about it. It's going to be hard, but I would really like some friends to motivate and support each other. Add me! Let's do this!

Replies

• kayleec2
    Options
    I'm in the same boat 24, about to graduate with a masters degree in SW, and gained 40 lbs in the mean time. I also love dogs. So we should be friends.
  • Uzbeccystani
    Options
    Hi to both of you, I'm 23 and graduated from my MA end of last year and now looking to loose both the dissertation pounds (seriously, there should be a term in existence like 'the graduate 40" or something) and the now-nobody-will-hire-me-because-I-have-an-MA unemployment pounds.

I'd love to support you, and have sent friend requests :)
  • TyatKU
    TyatKU Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from dental school 6 months ago and now I find myself a good 30lbs overweight. I was once a pretty fit guy and I know your pain. Im in a residency program so the stress is still lurking, but only for another 6 months! My goal is to stay motivated to workout and eat right during the residency. Let's stick together and get through this!

BTW, anyone feel free to add me. I love having more support!
  • LydiaVance
    LydiaVance Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's nice to know that other people have gone through this too! Not that I wish it on anyone else haha. I can't wait to start taking this terrible weight off and feeling happy, healthy, and ready to enter the terrible job market! I am entering the thesis process this week, and being in film school, it is a little different. Essentially my bum belongs to the school until August. I will be helping to shoot 11 different films. Gonna try my best to stay away from craft services and not eat the stupid crap my classmates purchase. Here's to us getting our bodies back in 2012 (and hopefully some jobs too!)
  • changinmyways72
    Options
    Hello there! I am in the same boat and would love to add you all as friends. I have just joined tonight after finding out about this site from a friend. I am looking to lose 47 lbs. I have terrible eating habits, never drink water and am less than motivated to work out. I'm hoping this site will help me stay motivated as well!

14120203.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm in a different boat but maybe I can help. I don't have school but I work full time in a stressful job. I'm 26 and also have an eight month old.