Diabetes meds... allergic.

Options
So now after two different meds from the doctor for my diabetes, I have found I am allergic to both. Metformin and Jenuvea. Ugh. I DO NOT want to go on insulin so I am trying my hardest to drop some weight and most importantly change my eating habits so I can avoid meds all together.

my A1C is 5.7 last month, but my morning fasting numbers are ranging from 150's to 190's. average. I know my fault is eating late night so I am trying to curve that and eat a high protein low carb snack.

Anyone else have reactions to their meds ? My reaction is hives

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Onglyza? Same class as Januvia, but perhaps it wouldn't trigger the hives? There are other drugs, such as glyburide, that might work in place of the metformin. Your physician should be familiar with several of these, or should be able to refer you to someone who is.
  • estinson79
    Options
    You can do it! Watch this video, it's pretty amazing. Good luck :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTQINv7Lik
  • michaeloro
    Options
    Onglyza works for some people really well. Either way 5.7 is a great number.
    No matter what drugs I am on or how much I eat or don't eat at night. I am always high in the morning.
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok, add onglyza to the meds I did react to also. Ugh. LOL

@estinson79... I watched that video... WOW. I need to look into the raw foods. Thanks!
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why he has u on meds anyway at 5.7?? I'm at 6.9 and he has me on a low dose of metformin. Wanna get the number down? Carbs and exercise. Carbs less than 50 for a meal TOTAL and 20 for a snack. Aerobic exercise lowers my numbers quicker than anything. I was on 201 after lunch and went and did 45 minutes on Wii and was 111 when done. Good Luck!!
  • judi145
    Options
    My doctor has me on 1.8mg of Victoza. I have no side effects and my BG ranges between the low 70s before eating to 140s after a meal.

I was having numbers running high in the AM, but the doctor recommended I take Cinnamon capsules (500mg 6 times daily) and Chromium Picolinate. They helped stabilize my overnight numbers.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    wow that sucks to hear your allergic. I was diagnosed with diabetes II in dec. 2009. I took lots of meds. Victoza, Metformin, linosipril, choronium, a beta blocker of some sort I forgot the name. I am happy to say though that after losing my first 100 lbs. Jan. 2011 I have been diabetes and meds free! eating healthier, moving more. I cut out fast food and soda pop entirely.