I need your help:]

Options
i have just joined this and i need some good exercising tips to gain abs, and muscle, but also to loose weight.
can someone please help me! :]
thanks.

-jessica

Replies

• hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Search the forums. Use google and youtube. A great book is The new rules of weight lifting for women. There's a blog up about it right now with pictures. Amazon has a plethora of fitness books with exercises. Ifitness is an app I love so much it's the reason I bought an iphone years ago. If you go to a gym ask a trainer how a machine or equipment works. Join in the classes at a gym. Exercise dvds like p90x, insanity, jillian Michaels (again search the forums). Good luck.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    typically you cant gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

to gain muscle you need to eat at a calorie surplus and lift heavy, and go either no or low cardio.
    to lose fat you need to be at a calorie deficit. while you are losing fat though, you want to make sure you are keeping as much muscle as you can. hence dont go to low on the deficit and make sure you incorporate heavy lifting into your workout.
  • elizabethhicks
    Options
    Hey! I am a MT at a fitness studio and the owner always tells me that bicycle crunches are best for the abs since it works all ab muscles. And the owner, my husband, and all his battle buddies take a protein supplement to ad in gaining muscle. I used to take it and would use it to make meal shakes for breakfast and lunch. I was losing fat and gaining muscle. I would start there but that's just my opinion. :)
  • jordgirl
    jordgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Actually, muscle is an automatic fat burner. If you work to gain muscle, your resting metabolism rate increases so you burn more calories throughout your normal day, which helps you to lose fat. You may not see much of a change on the scale because muscle weighs more than fat, but you'll notice when your clothes start to fit better. :) Just make sure you keep up with your protein intake because protein is what rebuilds your muscle fibers after strength training. There is no reason why you can't work towards both goals at the same time. Good luck!
  • jpaag1993
    Options
    protien shakes? hmm...
    i should try that!
    do you eat anything else with them??