Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    apples have a lot of fiber?
  • kkwellness
    kkwellness Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Carbs sugar and fiber- but depends on how you choose to ue them and when- great as a food post workout to restore and replenish glocogen
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Apples are delicious?
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Not to be a jerk or anything, but poptarts and hotpockets have a lot of carbs as well, along with a high fat and a high sodium content. The apple is not the thing that keeps people from losing weight.
  • Kaison02
    Options
    Emily. I understand that. I am realising this with each passing day what can and cannot be eaten. I figured give myself a week to eat what i wanted while still watching calories. I could see what needs to be cut and how to cut them. I ate an apple for a snack and was reading a post about carbs and low carb eating. And was pretty suprised about apples having alot of carbs.
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all fruit and even a lot of veggies are high in carbs....that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat them. Most of your carbs should come from fruits and vegetables.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Emily. I understand that. I am realising this with each passing day what can and cannot be eaten. I figured give myself a week to eat what i wanted while still watching calories. I could see what needs to be cut and how to cut them. I ate an apple for a snack and was reading a post about carbs and low carb eating. And was pretty suprised about apples having alot of carbs.

The carbs you should be more aware of are the ones that are simple carbs-the kinds that come from processed, prepackaged "foods". Fruits and vegetables have complex carbs, and the amount they have along with sugar, is easily outweighed by the nutrients provided by the food. A good way to know what is healthy-look at the ingredients in it. when I go shopping I mainly hit two sections in the store-produce and meat (and really fish is my favorite so that's my main source of protein). I would suggest going to a bookstore and hitting up the diet/nutrition section. There are books that literally list every kind of fruit/vegetable/grain/meat etc. What nutrients they are high in, calories per serving etc. I'm not saying I never eat processed foods, but I've cut the majority of it out of my diet.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Apples are fantastic morning foods, I once read an article about how they give little benefit at night but are great for the morning. Ever since, I eat basically an apple per day and the amount of energy I have had since December every day has been noticeably different.

Yes, apples have carbs - mostly fiber and sugar. But you need carbs for energy and it's not all about intake - mostly burning
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I ate an apple for a snack and was reading a post about carbs and low carb eating. And was pretty suprised about apples having alot of carbs.

I am going to go out on a limb here, as I usually do, but no one is going to criticize you for eating natural foods like apples, unless there is a specific purpose.

Those that say to stay away from carbs, actually mean refined carbs, not veggies. I do hear to limit fruits as they are "high" in calories but no one says stay away from fruits because they are carbs.

No one.

Well, maybe the package food industry will tell you that.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Apples are awesome! I eat two a day at least! Especially on work days cause I take my furry boy Cody with me to work everyday and we share an apple on the ride to work and one on the ride home. It's my dogs favorite snack.
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat eating apples! ...apple pie maybe, but not apples!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    apples :love: Ummmmmmmmmmm.
    They are my favorite fruit ever, and even though they are a bit higher in carbs, the also have a lot of soluble fiber which is carb, but is slower to digest not causing the blood sugar to shoot up then drop down. It is also full of nutrition our bodies need, so even when I was staying a way from carbs I never left my apples. They are my faves :heart:
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The most important thing about apples is ALWAYS eat the whole fruit... NEVER just drink the juice! The fiber will keep your blood sugar from spiking, and the juice is nearly worthless without all that wonderful apple fiber.

I average two apples a day... :drinker:
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    An apple a day.....keeps the Dr away

(so some say, I have worked with alot of drs and some were really awful, I took an apple a day to work everyday for extended periods of time and they still showed up.....dang drs anyway)
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Apples have negative calories.....!
  • Kaison02
    Options
    Now actually taking the apple and making a smoothie with it. will that take any nutrition from it?
  • fluffygoodness
    fluffygoodness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat eating apples! ...apple pie maybe, but not apples!

I chuckled. Loudly.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Now actually taking the apple and making a smoothie with it. will that take any nutrition from it?
    As long as the whole thing is in there... no, that's great. Easy way to get more greens into your life, too :)
  • Kaison02
    Options
    I was actually considering throwing Spinach in the mix of my smoothies. I hope i am not turned off by it. A couple people say that is is actually wonderful.