C25K

Options
Hi MFP people
I have decided to start runing/jogging however i am a complete novice. I have noticed from time to time people have mentioned the Couch to 5k system. Is this a app you buy for your mobile/ipod/mp3? How does it work? All help/info welcome

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no its a program..i am not sure if you have to pay to access it..but basically its a 'work your way up' type program.

meaning you run for like 2 mins, walk for 5 the first week, then the next you run for 3 mins then walk for 5 etc. etc..till you can run an entire mile, then you up it again till you can run an entire 3 miles.

its ok and works..but i have found most people can run longer than they think..its more mental than anything. i ran my first 5k in october and didnt do any cardio training for it. it wasnt that hard.
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

Its available as both an app and podcasts from the Itunes store if you have an Ipod phone or such like. Thye are free to download and there are a number of different versions. I have used both the NHS C25K and the Ullrey ones too. They talk you through each week building up your running, with complementary music.

Get them downloaded they are great.

K x
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've just started C25K this week too. Check out http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml for an idea of the program and if you have an iphone or smartphone there are podcasts and apps that take you through it and are free to download.

Good luck.
  • KittyExpress
    KittyExpress Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's not that much help, but I just wanted to say that I started running with C25K, and it's FANTASTIC! If you've never been fit before and have no idea how to create your own training guide then definitely give it a go. It was perfect for me, and I even did it on a treadmill to begin with. I now run 10k at least once a week, and it's thanks to the start that C25K gave me. Go for it :D
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 1 Day 1 this morning. I did a Free download on my Android and it uses the music I already have in my phone. Had the "Runners High" going on ALL day!!!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I have the free app for my iphone.