Counting Calories in Fruits and Veggies

Options
I have never EVER counted fruits and veggies (unless it's really starchy like corn/potatoes) in my daily calorie count. Even when I was doing weight watchers a couple years back, I never counted them. The way I see it is that fruits/veggies are great alternatives to other snacks and can really bulk up a meal...making me count them would make me less likely to eat them for some reason.

Anyone else think the same way? Is it a good idea to start counting them?

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    making me count them would make me less likely to eat them for some reason.

Anyone else think the same way? Is it a good idea to start counting them?

Yep, I tend to agree with you. When I write a diet plan with somebody (I'm a dietitian), most veg is always a free food. I would count the fruit but I wouldn't worry about veg. I add my veg to my log but I would never worry if non-starchy veg was what took me over goal. I look at a lot of 1200 calorie diaries that don't list a lot of veg and I really hope that it is not because they are worried about going over cals. There may be a certain amount of calories in broccoli for example if you measure directly from the food (which is how it is determined) but not nearly as much is actually processed/absorbed by the body.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I would agree with that but I eat about 500 calories a day from fruit and veggies
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Today, aside from miso paste, everything I consumed was a fruit, vegetable, or juice of a fruit or vegetable (wasn't feeling well) and I consumed almost 900 calories.

So while I agree, it can add up (granted this was an extreme case and there was a couple glasses of juice).

(Edit to add that I normally consume 1500 calories... I promise I eat a balanced diet!)
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    I can understand not counting fruits and vegetables if you are transitioning from eating mainly processed foods to introducing fresh, raw foods. The transition can be difficult and unwanted and the last thing anyone needs is an excuse not to include a healthy dose of fruits and veg into your diet. If it takes disregarding the calories of these foods to eat them when you otherwise wouldn't, then forgo the count.

Personally, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables so counting them is important to me. Some mornings my breakfast is solely juiced fruits & vegs. If I didn't account for those 300-400 calories for breakfast, I wouldn't have a breakfast entry at all.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If it's working then keeping doing what you're doing :)
  • califigureeight
    Options
    I count my fruit but not my veggies with the exception of starchy veggies.
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I count everything, to me a calorie is a calorie doesn't matter if it comes from a slice of toast or a carrot.
    But if not counting them works for you then continue to do it :D
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm also watching my sugars and carbs, and I'm often surprised by how high these oar in fruit and veg, so I log them. But many dont - it's not compulsory.
  • sarahlouise1978
    sarahlouise1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I count everything, regardless of what it is as I like to see exactly what I am eating and the nutrition tab is going to be more accurate that way. But I agree that if this works for you, then fair enough. I probably eat around 200-300 calories a day in fruit and veg so I want to be able to see it as part of my overall calorie count.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I count everything, to me a calorie is a calorie doesn't matter if it comes from a slice of toast or a carrot.

Agreed. Even if you don't count the calories, you're still eating them. You might be able to trick MFP, but you can't trick your body.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i add everything to my diary just because i want to keep a track of all the foods i consume. i even enter the zero calorie items to my diary. i don't worry if i go over my calorie allowance because of fruit and veg
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I count them but generally they're not that much anyways.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I count them but generally they're not that much anyways.