cross trainer vs rowing machine...

Options
i was looking into getting a cross trainer for my room, i have also been thinking about a rowing machine - i would buy both but i only have room for one (i also have a excercise bike thats kept in my built in wardrobe).

what gives the most best and effective workoit? im concentrating more on lower body workouts (need to melt away the fat on my legs the most), i know a crosstrainer is good for the legs. But which machine would give the best workout?

Thanks in advanced x

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you cant spot melt fat..so it doesnt matter what you do, as long as its cardio you'll lose fat.
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I think cross trainer but only because i hate the rowing machine :P
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    you cant spot melt fat..so it doesnt matter what you do, as long as its cardio you'll lose fat.

Ahhh i seee thanks
  • xSophia19
    Options
    I think cross trainer but only because i hate the rowing machine :P

Ahh right ha! I think ill go for crosstrainer :)
  • ukjamie
    ukjamie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cross Trainer is great for burning cals fast, you should be able to do around 600 in 30 mins, on the row machine i burn around 60 cas per 1000 ft , and doing 10000 ft take me around 42 mins. Why not just use you money to sign up to a good gym, every machine you could wish for and a swimming pool?
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You can do more with a cross-trainer than with a rowing machine. I like both, but the cross-trainer is easier to use for interval workout, which tends to do more for cardio and weight loss than steady work.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    Cross Trainer is great for burning cals fast, you should be able to do around 600 in 30 mins, on the row machine i burn around 60 cas per 1000 ft , and doing 10000 ft take me around 42 mins. Why not just use you money to sign up to a good gym, every machine you could wish for and a swimming pool?

Ok thanks, im getting a gym pass soon, but i need something in the comfort of my own home, as my gym is a 20 min walk - i havent got a car - soo i have to walk down in all weather conditions.- whereas a cross trainer in my room i can go on it all the time ad i dont have to worry about people around me.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You can do more with a cross-trainer than with a rowing machine. I like both, but the cross-trainer is easier to use for interval workout, which tends to do more for cardio and weight loss than steady work.

I disagree. Rowing machines are perfect for interval workouts and they are the only "cardio" machine that also provides weight resistance. You can work ALL muscle groups on the rowing machine all at once or individually. For instance, doing legs only, or arms only, or abs only. Look it up. The rowing machine is a complete body workout.

ETA: I have owned a cross trainer and a rowing machine. I had a cross trainer for about a year and a half, as soon as I started with the rower I got rid of the cross trainer just as fast as I could. So boring.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    This is embarrassing... but is a crosstrainer the same as an elliptical trainer?
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Your own Body is the Best TOOL you can Use to Loose Body Fat!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    This is embarrassing... but is a crosstrainer the same as an elliptical trainer?

yep.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I disagree. Rowing machines are perfect for interval workouts and they are the only "cardio" machine that also provides weight resistance. You can work ALL muscle groups on the rowing machine all at once or individually. For instance, doing legs only, or arms only, or abs only. Look it up. The rowing machine is a complete body workout.

ETA: I have owned a cross trainer and a rowing machine. I had a cross trainer for about a year and a half, as soon as I started with the rower I got rid of the cross trainer just as fast as I could. So boring.

Definitely agree! I have been married to the rowing machine since I was in high school, the hardest part about it is getting the technique down. I see many people struggle with the proper form and technique on that machine and aren't getting the hard work they should be getting in because of it.

But I prefer the rowing machine over all else. I wish my gym had one.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    i was looking into getting a cross trainer for my room, i have also been thinking about a rowing machine - i would buy both but i only have room for one (i also have a excercise bike thats kept in my built in wardrobe).

what gives the most best and effective workoit? im concentrating more on lower body workouts (need to melt away the fat on my legs the most), i know a crosstrainer is good for the legs. But which machine would give the best workout?

Thanks in advanced x
    The one you enjoy the most.

Forget the stats; which is more fun? or...
    ...which is the least miserable?...:smile:

Having fun is a huge part of my motivation. I would buy NEITHER, because both just look agonizing.
    But that's just me....

Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Rowing is far superior. The only reason not to would be due to a specific disability such as a lower back injury.

People don't like running or rowing because they are hard. Guess they don't like getting better at anything.

I also however, agree with Maximal, there's no point buying a dust magnet.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Perfect, thanks! I see the term being thrown around all the time and I couldn't figure out if it was the same or not. Also, I wish I could get a rowing machine, it's hard but you can get killer shoulders.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    rowing is probably one of the best work out, but like others said, it is hard and getting the technique down properly is key. i should really jump on the ones at my gym more often. it is a great full body work out, providing resistance to legs, core, arms, and back.

google videos and instructions on how to row properly to avoid injury and get the most out of your work out. and do it on loooooow resistance at first, because it is a lot harder then it looks. i get sweaty and tired after 5 minutes.
  • december8teen
    Options
    The crosstrainer was my fav at the gym. And then I found out about the rowing machine...I've never look back. :)

*Though I do use the crosstrainer, treadmill and bike from time to time as well.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    it's all down to your preference i.e. which one will you be more likely to use. though i use the rowing machine in my gym, it is probably my least favourite apart from the stationary bike. i do use them though as i see great results when i do. however, personally if i had to buy one of the 2 you mentioned, it would be the crosstrainer as that is the one i blv i would enjoy the most.