Registered nurse working in acute setting, can I lose weigh

Options
Gah sorry two topic I made tonight. I working in a busy ward, I feel quite tired at the end of every shift, and I do a LOT of walking. I am thinking of getting a pedometer. Anyone here lost weight because of their job? I am doing MFP and not so much exericse as I do a lot of bloody walking.

Replies

• Hoosier_born
    Options
    bump
  • jaynewould
    Options
    The last time I lost these same pesky 15kg (before I went back to school and stacked it on again!) I worked as a hotel porter, which is lots of walking/lifting and weird hours. Obviously not as stressful as nursing! But I didn't add any extra exercise and I still lost weight at around 1kg a week (2lb). I did use a pedometer and it's a great idea - you'll start finding reasons to walk extra steps to "beat" your previous day :P

I have friends who are nurses who struggle more with trying to eat well at work since you are busy and your meal times get mucked up by the odd hours. If you're not into bringing a packed lunch/dinner (I am SO guilty of this) then maybe you could research the fast food/cafe options in and around your hospital? Or take turns with your coworkers to bring in a fruit salad or something to snack on? I wound up with a list of "decent" options I could grab on a ten minute break: salad-heavy sandwiches from Subway, English muffins from McDonalds, vegie stir-fry or soup from the Thai place, things like that.

tl;dr - a job with loads of walking is great exercise, so don't stress if you're too tired to go for a run before work, you can still lose weight! And pedometers are awesome.

Good luck! :D
  • sproeber89
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I don't lose weight because of my job. I do the same thing everyday, granted some days it's a little more running around. But at least for me my body it's used to that activity. I've been told by some to not count the everyday things like work. So I workout 6 days a week before work (I work 2nd shift).
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I'm a nurse also. I used a pedometer for 2 shifts.....I logged over 6 miles in one shift!!!! I don't count work shifts as activity. It seems like my body just became accustomed to this a " normal activity". For me to lose weight, I need to have additional activity