herbal teas - any benefits?

Does any use herbal teas and do they actually provide any benefit? I know some claim to calm you, some claim to rid water retention, some help weight loss..... any of these true? x

Replies

• it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    I drink fruit teas and herbal teas cause they are a great way of getting a nice taste with next to no calories. And they have no caffeine. As for any other benefits, I have never really tried the teas which are supposed to have those kind of actions, so I have no idea if they work or not.
  • I drink them because I struggle with water. Camomile makes me sleepy!
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    I drink spearmint tea. It helps my IBS and it is supposed to help PCOS type issues. I can't say for sure if it helps the PCOS type issues or not but I also enjoy the flavor and it is a good way to get the "sweet" taste without having a candy bar etc.
  • oh I like the idea of tea replacing water... thanks! I hate water so this will help [:
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Depending on what the tea contains, you can get some benefits. However for many of the benefits, you have to drink a lot of tea for an extended period of time.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    How can you hate water? haha I never understood that!

Tea always gives me more energy and apparently it has long-term health benefits like heart health and is a general cleanser. I'm pretty sure it contains many antioxidants as well (and doesn't have the negative effects of coffee)
  • How can you hate water? haha I never understood that!

I really don't know, I guess I crave some sort of flavour/sweetness haha! It's bad I know, I do force myself to drink water at Uni as it tends to fill me up in classes.

Definitely going to try some different teas, I have heard of the antioxidant effects and that , will have a look in the supermarket next time I go and see what I can pick up! [:
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    I started investing in Teavana teas (there's a huge sale going on right now at teavana.com) and I've been drinking black and oolong and have dropped three pounds this week. They help release water, give you antioxidants (white teas), energy (green, black, and mate), help your skin and digestion (oolong, green, white, and rooibos) and boost metabolism (green, black, oolong esepcially, and mate). All without jitters and like 100 different flavours from chocolate to mint to fruit :)
  • Green tea always makes me feel clearer and more energetic. kind of the same boost you get from coffee but not the gluggy feeling.
  • creeperlegume
    creeperlegume Posts: 171 Member
    I'm a junkie for the Yogi Blueberry Slim Life tea. It's yummy and really does suppress my appetite, so it's great to have around work (or home!) for between meals when I'm getting a little hungry but it's not time to eat yet. Apparently they have some energy and detox ones that are good as well, but I haven't tried those.