Calories - Who figured that one out???

Options
I'm just sitting here pondering; HOW do they measure how many calories are in any particular unit of food?

I feel a bit stupid. Perhaps I'm the only person in the world who doesn't know how that's done but I'd really like to know. :huh:

Replies

• sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm just sitting here pondering; HOW do they measure how many calories are in any particular unit of food?

I feel a bit stupid. Perhaps I'm the only person in the world who doesn't know how that's done but I'd really like to know. :huh:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I leave that up to scientists! I envision them torching Twinkies to see how long they'll burn and then calculating numbers a lot... :laugh:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    They burn it and measure how much energy the food puts off by how much the heat raises the temperature of water. Or something like that.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Its figured up by how much of the food is Carbohydrate (4 cals) Protein (4 cals) or Fat (7 cal). I'm not sure if its measured in grams so I wont pretend to know that much. I think we learned the caloric values of carbs and such in junior high home ec class. Not sure why I remembered it
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Calorie = the amount of energy it takes to raise one kilogram of water one degree
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I measured the calories in different nuts once for a science project at school. I stuck a needle in the nut and stuck the other end of the needle on an eraser to make it stand up and then i set the nut on fire :laugh: then i record the temperature of the water in a tin can above it and record the difference..... I won a prize or something for it but I also burnt a hole in the middle of my friends house
  • sniffles
    Options
    Now I'm pondering if all scientists are pyromaniacs at heart...
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options

As long as they keep it in the lab. I can see the eleven o' clock news now.

"Tonight at 11. Scientist sets fire to a 12 story building downtown. When questioned by police he said he was curious how many calories were in a bank building."

Oh golly :laugh: :laugh:
  • sniffles
    Options

As long as they keep it in the lab. I can see the eleven o' clock news now.

"Tonight at 11. Scientist sets fire to a 12 story building downtown. When questioned by police he said he was curious how many calories were in a bank building."

Oh golly :laugh: :laugh:

:D

COME ON now though. Who thinks: Geez... I bet if I set this on fire I can figure out how much energy is it!!!

HAHAH.
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this myself but never had the nerve to ask, That is VERY interesting!:smile: