Not sure when to start????

Options
I'm going to start going back to the gym on the 9th Jan (when my kids go back to school), but I really don't know when to start the whole healthy eating. So far the last week I haven't really cooked. Eating take aways, going to resturants and the one bit of cooking I did do was just eat when you want sort of food (sausage rolls, pasty, mini sausages etc...)

I know I will be eating out tomorrow as my mum is down and we are taking the kids to the panto, so there will be a meal there. AAAAHHHH need a little help, or do I leave it till I can commit to it properly?????

Replies

• SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    start from today.. i started fitness pal on a thursday.. i gave up on it over xmas as i came down with Gastric Flu. Only just about got appetite back.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start going back to the gym on the 9th Jan (when my kids go back to school), but I really don't know when to start the whole healthy eating. So far the last week I haven't really cooked. Eating take aways, going to resturants and the one bit of cooking I did do was just eat when you want sort of food (sausage rolls, pasty, mini sausages etc...)

I know I will be eating out tomorrow as my mum is down and we are taking the kids to the panto, so there will be a meal there. AAAAHHHH need a little help, or do I leave it till I can commit to it properly?????

Make that meal the last one before you start.

Weight and measure yourself on the morning of the first day and then go for it.

Right at the beginning of the new year is an excellent place to start.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just start logging. See what you eat. You have to log everything you put in your mouth. Then you have an idea of where you can start to improve.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Just start logging. See what you eat. You have to log everything you put in your mouth. Then you have an idea of where you can start to improve.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Start now! Just make the best choice you can every time you eat until you have time to go shopping and get the right foods in.

Enjoy your meal out tomorrow - but try and make a slightly healthier choice than you would have before. You will go out for meals lots of times in your life, so its good to get used to working them into your plan right away.

Good luck, and welcome to MFP. You will find lots of people here that will help you along the way and provide the support you will need from time to time.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    start immediately - never put it off.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    NOW.

Log everything you eat from now on.

Weight loss is 70% diet, and only 30% exercise. You start logging now, you are already 70% committed!
  • melie_gr
    Options
    start today, because yesterday you said "tomorrow" ;-)
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Start the change today so your family get used to it, get all you veg and fruit in now. If your serious you don't need to put it off and you don't have to wait till the kids are back at school to exercise get them to do it with you. I take my daughter on walks or do Just Dance on the wii with her, granted i have only one child so it's easier but where there's a will there's a way.
    When i started i just logged everything i ate not worrying about the calories and i was disgusted with myself as i ate for at least 2 people. That shocked me into action it might do the same for you.
    Good luck
  • magikfairygirl
    Options
    Start today, even if you just start logging what you eat. This can be a real eye opener and give you an idea of where to start making livable changes. Good luck to you!
  • SkinnyLilly2B
    SkinnyLilly2B Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Start today!! I have started today! I could have waited until the kids went back to school next week too but i figured that is just another week that i could have lost at least 1 lb. Plus if i don't start NOW I will just keep putting it off and never actually DO IT!

So while the kids are off we are going to go swimming and we will play on the xbox and wii so i can burn up some calories. When they go back to school i will go to the gym the afternoons i have no kids and at nights.

As for eating, we have a pile of cupcakes left that i baked and tubs and tubs of tempting sweets!! I am going to be strong and not touch them and just let the kids and visitors have them. The excess boxes of sweets and biscuits we will give away to other people.

Never put off what can be done today :) That's my new motto!

Good luck :)
  • xkarlax
    xkarlax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    today! i have so far so good! but then ive only eating breakfast lol... feel free to add me as friend in need of motivation!!! good luck x
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Like other members have said, start today, track your food, plan your meals ahead of time. I did this while waiting for payday, then it was game on at the grocery store. Most of the stuff I got are vegetables, I also got fruit which mostly will be eaten up by the kids. This morning I woke up at 4:45am & went to the gym, did all this before my husband woke up to go to work. I normally wake up at 7-8am lately so I have to get used to this new schedule. Look up some fitspo on tumblr, print out some pictures you find inspiring and post them on your bathroom mirror, closet, fridge door, pantry door, etc -to help keep you on track.
    & if you ever need some motivation, post on your status, we're all in this together <3
  • mad4beinhere
    mad4beinhere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well put tat2dmama68 :-)
  • meg_jesse
    Options
    Thanks all, had a bit of a late breakfast today as I was cleaning the house, so will log it now and then what ever else I eat today!!!!
    Was going to take kids out for a good walk somewhere, but my DS is suffering with a cold and it keeps raining on and off!!!!! Have hoovered and done loads of walking up and down stairs so thats getting me going.
  • maxdjax
    maxdjax Posts: 10
    Options
    I've started today and in totally the same situation! I have led a very sedantry lifestyle and currently just under 22 stone so need to do something! what are the best exercises to do? i have a back condition that means I have a weak spine and tend to have discs popping in and out but know my weight will not be helping it but it doesn restrict the level and amount of exercise I can do

I'm aiming to eventually get to 13 stone so only 9 to go! argh!
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    Start TODAY! You can start by logging everything you eat, and moving around with the kids can be part of your exercise routine. You can put it under moderate stretching or cardio exercises. Whichever you do the most of, or spit it up between the two. Good luck, and Happy New Year.:wink:
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    start making better choices immediately - the thing I've learned is that I will NEVER eat perfectly and I won't ever have a perfect day...I just have to be better than I've ever been, and that will get me where I need to be. So even if you are eating out tomorrow, you can make great choices beforehand and make good restaurant choices too. The key isn't perfection - it's improvement.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Start RIGHT NOW!!! At least start with your water (drink up! :) and watching portion sizes and LOG!

And you don't need a gym to do jumping jacks or squats (I do squats and side lunges while I'm washing dishes!) Just stop randomly throughout your day do 10 of each and continue on!
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am chiming in with the rest of the crew ... Start logging now, then you can see the choices you are making and start tweaking. I like to think of it as making small changes to a healthier lifestyle, rather than a diet; that way it doesn't seem so overwhelming. Drastic changes can be harder to maintain.

Good luck!