Obese woman meets P90X

Options
I am going to start P90X tomorrow. I am a 36 years old woman and weigh 203 lbs. I have lost 40 lbs in the past 6 months so exercise isn't a stranger to me, but I have to admit I am scared, really scared of P90X. Is this something an obese woman can accomplish?

I am looking for a support group to get me through this and keep me going. I really want to do this for myself, and know I will do better if I am accountable someone.

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I did P90X last summer. I loved it. Friend me if you want.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are doing P90x right now!

Add me as a friend if you need encouragement or have any questions.

Good luck!

-Joel
  • Gamergl
    Gamergl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 5 and am LOVING the results so far in just 5 days!!!!!!

Add me please!!! Let's DO THIS!!!
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There's a group formed that you should consider joining (see link). Best wishes!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1460-p90x-bring-it-december-26-2011
  • Sunshinema
    Options
    I have two bad knees and have always been fascinated by this workout but afraid. I am also very heavy and work out at a gym but it just isnt working.

can i do it?
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    You CAN do this - just modify modify modify as needed. Its OKay, you WILL still get great results. And you will slowly get to the point where you will be modifying less. Just hang in there, give it your all. :)

Use good form always. Lift heavier weights as soon as you are able with good form, you will get faster results.

Do pullups with a chair or stool, or a pull up assist band (love the band, its great)

Do pushups on a wall, counter, table edge, until you can gradually get to a full pushup

It will take time, maybe even a few 90 day rounds to do them

Also while still carrying extra weight, pushups may be impossible - but try anyway to strengthen muscle. Eventually when you get closer to your goal weight, you will get closer to doing a complete pullup. And extra 10 pounds of weight can make a pull up impossible.

First time I did P90X I was 41. :) I have one bad knee, and a lower back and neck issue related to damaged cartridge. Modify, especially on Plyometrics. I still do not do HotFoot, or one legged jumps, or rock star on that, I just jump rope in place (no rope)

I am in MUCH less pain since doing P90X and much more flexible, knee. back and neck are much stronger and more stable.

Its a great program. Most people can not complete all DVDs from beginning to end at first - thats normal and okay. After 90 days you will be able to.

Diet is super super important for best results. Watch your macros, get lots of protein, And do not go to low on your calories.

I get best results with high protein, I burn fat better, and get some nice tightening all over. No bat wings or back fat hear!

Good Luck!!!
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    don't let your current physical condition stop you from doing P90X. it's all about making yourself better. one of the best tools is the fit test. that will help you gauge your progress. there are numerous threads on www.teambeachbody.com where heavier people have had success doing P90X. I am 2 weeks from completing insanity. keep a good nutrition plan, something i struggle with and hydrate your body.
  • medangel06
    Options
    Try P90 first. It helps you get ready for P90X. Power 90. I am 26 and P90 has me sweating. I really recommend you try it first just to get ready for the heavy duty P90X. Best of luck.
  • Phoenix0313
    Phoenix0313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started p90x and am much in the same boat as you. I'm no stranger to exercise and have dropped at least 5o pounds since my starting weight, but I'm plateaued out now and needed to find something new. I just started the program yesterday, and am feeling it today, but its all good. I think it will be what I need to earn the body I want. I'm also following a low carb/ high protein food plan which should help as well.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do P90X it is a little scary until you do it. You may not be able to keep up but who cares there is always 1 person in each video that is modifying the moves. You will be glad you did it after you start. :)
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Wow!

First, congratulations on taking the challenge!!!

I hope I can do the same. I haven't bought it yet, but just recently saw the infomercial and was blown away. It's something I definitely want to try. I've lost over 100 pounds and still have another 60 - 70 to go ... I'm nearing the onederland mark myself.

Friend me if you want, I'd love to know your progress.

Thanks!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have two bad knees and have always been fascinated by this workout but afraid. I am also very heavy and work out at a gym but it just isnt working.

can i do it?

That depends a lot on what's really going on with your knees but also on how much you're okay with modifying the workout for yourself. A lot of P90X can be modified to avoid jumping (except the plyo workout, which is almost all jumping of various kinds), but Tony loves squats and lunges, so even the low impact version is still pretty knee intensive.

However, not all bad knees are the same, as I discovered by doing P90X. My "bad knees" got less and less bad as I exercised more, to the point where I no longer think of myself as having bad knees. I modified nearly everything at the beginning, and progressed CAREFULLY. The first day I was able to complete the plyo workout without modification was one of the proudest moments of my life. :-)

However, I worked up to P90X with Chalean Extreme. I'm glad I did b/c Chalene teaches a lot about form that Tony assumes we'll know. I did know it by the time I got to P90X, but only because I'd already done CE.
  • Smilee3233
    Smilee3233 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who provided encouragement and advice - I greatly appreciate it!!! I am going to start today! I am trusting you to keep me accountable!!! : )
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Could you friend request me? I am sitting at 282 right now and have been wondering this for myself. I'd like to be able to check in with you and see how your doing/ what your results are? Is that ok?
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am a P90X grad and it has changed my life! Friend me for support :)
  • AJDistel
    Options
    You can do this. I was able to do many of the moves/modified moves at 250. I'm doing a modified version because I want to continue my running. So it's possible. Just do what you can and stick to it. You'll see yourself improve as time goes on. Good luck!
  • Smilee3233
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement, it really does make a difference. I planned to start a couple days ago but came down with a cold. I'm feeling more like myself today so I am going to start in the morning. I am excited and scared at the same time!
  • Smilee3233
    Options
    I finished day 3 today - it is hard, but I love it! I feel silly now for being so scared of it. I thought the hour would kill me but it goes by so quickly it really is surprising. I was pretty sore the second day, but it's cleared up and didn't effect day 3 today. I know I can do the 90 days, and can't wait to see what results it brings!

I want to say thank you to everyone who encouraged me.
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am going to start P90X tomorrow. I am a 36 years old woman and weigh 203 lbs. I have lost 40 lbs in the past 6 months so exercise isn't a stranger to me, but I have to admit I am scared, really scared of P90X. Is this something an obese woman can accomplish?

I am looking for a support group to get me through this and keep me going. I really want to do this for myself, and know I will do better if I am accountable someone.

YES! I was 220 pounds and I am 5 foot 4. I did P90X and I absolutely LOVED it! It is a great program. Make sure you take measurements and dont just rely on your scale! Also, follow the foods they give you and if you want some of the meals from P90X2, just send me a message. I would be more than happy to give you more recipes!!!
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Look like you need to be fit to do these extreme exercises