"You Guys Suck"

Options
stephabef
stephabef Posts: 936 Member
At the end of an 8 hour bartending shift, I received a note left on one of the booths that read "you guys suck." I think few people understand just how stressful a New Years morning bartending shift can be, especially when brunch is being served along with Bloody Marys and Mimosas. This is the first shift I've experienced that I've felt like I couldn't completely handle. People understood how busy we were, some leaving upwards of 40-50%. Went drinking after my shift, now I feel like crap. And I still can't stop thinking about that note... almost cancelled out everything I felt from all the great tips and excellent folks I met.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Never take any business personally. It may not even be directed at you, but some schmoe who may have been impatient with service wrote it. Let it go or it will eat you up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Let it go. As an ex-waitress I've had plenty of customers that sucked. Don't take it personally. People are stupid and there's nothing you can do about it. Don't let that crap get in your head. It's just not worth it.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Probably some young idiot that had too much to drink. I was a waitress for three years and remember times where people would say things and I would end up crying in the back.
    They are just miserable, impatient, unhappy people that want to bring you don't but don't let them! =]
  • onefourone
    Options
    I would let it go too. You probably did not even serve them or they were drunk and did not get what they wanted or they were cut off or something. Some people are just that way. If you did suck you would not have gotten the tips you did.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    *tight hug* you know I love ya girl. I know it is hard to ignore them, but you gotta try! Do not let them ruin your new year! You are amazing
  • stephabef
    Options
    I let it go, I just really needed to vent. I busted my *kitten* and sold over $800 in booze and food in the brunch rush alone. Makes me wonder if those kids have had to work a day in their lives. :/
  • stephabef
    Options
    *tight hug* you know I love ya girl. I know it is hard to ignore them, but you gotta try! Do not let them ruin your new year! You are amazing

You are the sweetest <3 thanks, love!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    It was one note! you cant please everyone all of the time. and you cant let crap like that get to you. who cares what they think obviously this was not the opinion shared by all or you wouldnt have made good tips.

or they could just be jealous
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    At the end of an 8 hour bartending shift, I received a note left on one of the booths that read "you guys suck." I think few people understand just how stressful a New Years morning bartending shift can be, especially when brunch is being served along with Bloody Marys and Mimosas. This is the first shift I've experienced that I've felt like I couldn't completely handle. People understood how busy we were, some leaving upwards of 40-50%. Went drinking after my shift, now I feel like crap. And I still can't stop thinking about that note... almost cancelled out everything I felt from all the great tips and excellent folks I met.

Surely a note left by a drunk could not affect you....you are better...
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    unless it had your name on it just ignore it. You don't know if it was addressed to you, or the bar, or the other staff members. For all you know it was a group of friends passing notes to each other and had nothing at all to do with the bar.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There will always be That person or group....what is worse is they will most likely ruin the day of everyone they cross, for no good reason!! People like that should just stay in bed until they act like a decent human being
  • Sunshine70Smith
    Sunshine70Smith Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that is a great picture!
  • kaiteggert
    kaiteggert Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I work at Walt Disney World--the Most Magical Place on Earth. Unfortunately, if there's one thing this place has a tendency to teach me, it's how AWFUL people can be to people they don't know. I work in concierge at one of the Disney resorts, and we hear people swearing, screaming, and telling us how "worthless" and "stupid" we are because we won't listen to their stupid complaints and "compensate" them. For example, this is our busiest time of the year. the parks are packed, and the last time I checked, I never told ANYONE that they HAD to come to Disney. But we hear constant complaints about how busy the parks are, "my room is in THAT location!??!?!?", etc.

But then we have amazing days. I have guests that I do the simplest things (in my eyes) for...for example, I had a guest who was a local cop. He was very excited because his girlfriend was going to be coming to Disney for the first time, they had met through a long, tumultuous situation and wound up incredibly happy together. Through all of the talking, I decided to do my favorite thing--make some magic. I got his girlfriend a complimentary 1 Day Park Hopper ticket and he almost cried. He was SOOOO grateful to me for making that little amount of magic that he came back the next day and told my manager that I completely made his vacation the most incredible one he'd ever had. I have guests like that quite a bit, and that just outweighs ANY horrible guest I could ever have.

Never doubt that YOU have the power to make someone's day. Whether it's just through a smile or a hug, you can make them incredibly happy, especially if they've had a horrible situation. Some people, no matter what you do, cannot be pleased. Just because they became unhappy with you doesn't mean you DID anything to them, it just means they're miserable and that's not your problem.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about that. I once had a person pick up a stool and try to hit me with it while yelling many terrible things about how much of a moron I was (I forgot a water, and the place was swamped).

People are crazy sometimes, can't let it get to you (easier said than done I know). I've had people flip on my at my job now too --- doesn't get any easier!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Some people are only happy when they are miserable and only truly happy when they can make others miserable too.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    First off, mean people suck. Secondly, cowardly people are lame. So the people who left that note are lame and sucky. QED. Also, you're a nurse and bartender. That's a pretty sweet combo. So you've got that going for you. You're basically super-awesome. So, take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy a kick-*kitten* 2012. ;-)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Was it an anonymous note, left with no indication as to who it was actually TO?

Ignore it, it may have been left there because it was written by somebody to another person (customer) who was sitting at the bar. It could have been for anybody.
  • scott1981
    scott1981 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do not take it personal, and the note may be a drunkard note anyway.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    You found a note but it might not of been for you or other barstaff , it might of been just something for someone else from someone else entirely. I have discarded notes from my purse on a plate figuring it will hit the trash if its a small crumpled piece of paper normally just a phone number or a list of things I needed at a store. So do not assume this note was left for you and your co workers personally. Have a happy new year and shrug this off as being over tired.
  • ✰✰ajaks1229✰✰
    Options
    I completely understand. I work at Walt Disney World--the Most Magical Place on Earth. Unfortunately, if there's one thing this place has a tendency to teach me, it's how AWFUL people can be to people they don't know. I work in concierge at one of the Disney resorts, and we hear people swearing, screaming, and telling us how "worthless" and "stupid" we are because we won't listen to their stupid complaints and "compensate" them. For example, this is our busiest time of the year. the parks are packed, and the last time I checked, I never told ANYONE that they HAD to come to Disney. But we hear constant complaints about how busy the parks are, "my room is in THAT location!??!?!?", etc.

But then we have amazing days. I have guests that I do the simplest things (in my eyes) for...for example, I had a guest who was a local cop. He was very excited because his girlfriend was going to be coming to Disney for the first time, they had met through a long, tumultuous situation and wound up incredibly happy together. Through all of the talking, I decided to do my favorite thing--make some magic. I got his girlfriend a complimentary 1 Day Park Hopper ticket and he almost cried. He was SOOOO grateful to me for making that little amount of magic that he came back the next day and told my manager that I completely made his vacation the most incredible one he'd ever had. I have guests like that quite a bit, and that just outweighs ANY horrible guest I could ever have.

Never doubt that YOU have the power to make someone's day. Whether it's just through a smile or a hug, you can make them incredibly happy, especially if they've had a horrible situation. Some people, no matter what you do, cannot be pleased. Just because they became unhappy with you doesn't mean you DID anything to them, it just means they're miserable and that's not your problem.

^^^^^That is just so sweet. I work as a nurse and when you do something that is appreciated it is just so awesome no matter how small the gesture.

To OP: I am glad that you have let it go, it does feel better vent and get it off your chest. I agree with you...probably some young person who had too much to drink (and yes very possibly never had to work a day in their life) Have a great new year and don't let immaturity get you down~