PCOS and weight loss

Options
I've been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and my doctor said that it makes it extra challenging to lose weight, but didn't really provide any tips on how to be successful. Does anyone have previous experience with PCOS or have nutritional advice?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tryingeveryday
    tryingeveryday Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as you but have no idea how to begin with the weight loss I wish I had some tips!!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS and honestly I just eat right and exercise. Nothing fancy, just hard work.
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS and honestly I just eat right and exercise. Nothing fancy, just hard work.

Same! But try cutting out the sugar or at least some of it. You may or may not be a diabetic but with PCOS most people are insulin resistant without knowing it. It helps to cut out some or most of your sugar intake and it helps losing weight a little bit easier. I was diagnosed at age 12 or 13 and after my daughter was born losing weight felt impossible. In the past 12 weeks I lost 38lbs. I drink mostly water and watch what i eat. I only been working out once a week for the most part! I was on Metformin only to get my period (im not a diabetic) i stopped taking it because i was getting sick from it. After 2 months of not getting it I finally got it on my own! Good luck!
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had it for almost 10 years now. Carbs & sugar are our biggest enemy!! Sugar is a fuel source for the growth of the cyst and carbs, if not used will also breakdown into simple sugars, which feeds the cyst. A very low carb and sugar free diet will do wonders! I keep my carb numbers between 70-100 a day. The body still requires the carbs as a fuel, but I don't have any extra sitting around waiting to become simple sugars at the end of the day. It is almost an Atkins diet, but I am not an Atkins dieter.

Hope this helps!

Just to let you know that PCOS has certain levels. I am the overweight-type 2 diabetic type. I was placed on all knids of insulin drugs to control my sugar, but I got sick on most of them and the one that I did work well with was 115.00 a month. Insurance didn't cover it. Now that I stop eating carbs and sugar I've lost 40lbs and sugar is under control. I drink water only (Mio or Crystal lights added)
    It can be done and not as hard as everyone else says..The hard part is giving up the sugar and carbs.

Good luck to you.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    For me what's helped is watching my carbs. I try to have lower GI carbs and that works for me. I'm also drinking a ton of water (generally 3L a day if I can. Still drink soft drink though) I'm also on Metformin and exercise for 30 minutes five days a week at least. (that's a 30 minute walk to work)

It's harder but it can be done.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Low Glycemic eating controlling your carbs and exercise! .. Carbs that process slower in your body paired with a good protein will help contol the insulin in your body. Most PCOSers have insulin resistance... and therefore excess sugars get stored into your fat calls causing you to gain weight or have trouble losing weight. Cycling is really good for bringing down your insulin levels.

If you have any questions just email me, I've done a lot of research and belong to many groups.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have gained a lot of weight. I've lost a lot through diet and exercise, but it takes so much more effort.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 12. I've lost weight with a healthy diet (eating foods that are vitamin, mineral and fiber rich, not just meeting my calorie goal). It was slow but, I don't know that it was slower than others because I haven't walked a day in their shoes. I've found I lose weight quickest when on the Paleo diet. Without my diet being supplemented with grains and starches I get more of the things my body needs. Paleo isn't a diet I can do forever so, I do it as a challenge a few times a year.

Good luck with your journey.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have pcos

and im most successful on a lowish gi diet, to regulate my blood sugar.

your weight loss will b e slow though
  • slim4map
    slim4map Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS diagnosed since 1989, back then few doctors were familiar with it but now many are more knowledgeable. Your monthly eggs don't fully release and they turn into cysts which give off androgens which raise your insulin levels so your body thinks its starving and slows down your metabolism, I tried to tell my ovaries to look in the mirror, we are not starving, but they have never paid attention!!!

Some doctors will prescribe metfornin which was created for diabetics but can assist to some degree for us PCOS girls. The quickest way for us to loose weight is to cut out all processed everything, eat clean, concentrate on fish and seafood and vegetables and exercise. I am currently using the medifast system but tracking it on my fitness pal and I have been able to lose 15 lbs in December. The fitness pay says I am eating too low of calories but its the only method that has worked for me and I am never hungry because the food is full of protein and fiber. Like any other diet, it will work but you have to be prepared for maintenance or you just gain everything back. We PCOS girls will have to watch carefully for the rest of our lives even when we are past menopause. I suggest that you see a reproductive endocrinologist to get the latest updates on the treatment.

I am not a doctor but this has been my experience, good luck!! Slim4Map aka Mary Ann feel free to become my friend on this app.
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had it for almost 10 years now. Carbs & sugar are our biggest enemy!! Sugar is a fuel source for the growth of the cyst and carbs, if not used will also breakdown into simple sugars, which feeds the cyst. A very low carb and sugar free diet will do wonders! I keep my carb numbers between 70-100 a day. The body still requires the carbs as a fuel, but I don't have any extra sitting around waiting to become simple sugars at the end of the day. It is almost an Atkins diet, but I am not an Atkins dieter.

Hope this helps!

Just to let you know that PCOS has certain levels. I am the overweight-type 2 diabetic type. I was placed on all knids of insulin drugs to control my sugar, but I got sick on most of them and the one that I did work well with was 115.00 a month. Insurance didn't cover it. Now that I stop eating carbs and sugar I've lost 40lbs and sugar is under control. I drink water only (Mio or Crystal lights added)
    It can be done and not as hard as everyone else says..The hard part is giving up the sugar and carbs.

Good luck to you.

I agree with what you said! I have PCOS as well. I found out that I had it about three years ago. It has been very hard to lose weight. Since I have been on no sugar and no flour, I have been able to lose 15 pounds. I am hoping to lose another 15 pounds soon.

I have had to make smaller goals than most people. Some people can lose 5 pounds quickly and that has not happened for me. But, looking over the few months I can see a each month, week, etc. so that's what I need to focus on. Plus, losing weight makes you feel better and helps to get your period back to some what normal.

Don't give up and keep trying!
  • kryshouston
    Options
    With PCOS the most important thing you can do it get rid of your whites, white sugar, white flour, white potatoes, white bread. I had a patient that lost a ridiculouse amount of weight in 1 year just getting rid of the white stuff in her diet, she was younger around 18 but she didnt even need to exercise dont get me wrong exercise will really help to, it is a challenge, but you will have so much more to look forward to if you do this, you can always be put on a Birth Control pill or metformin to help regulate
  • carolinacourtney
    Options
    Thanks! I was on metaformin but it made me sick and I couldn't get past it... I'm going to try a diabetic diet and see how that helps!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    just diagnosed with it. i was told to limit my carbs and sugars. my dietician said no more than 150 grams per day for me, but it will depend on each person what their limit is. she told me mine would be less, but i'm a vegetarian so most of my food intake will be sort of carb-ridden! i was also given Metformin to try.