How many calories does breastfeeding burn?

Options

Replies

• SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am now 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and planning to use the MyFitnessPal app to lose the baby weight after the birth. I was wondering, how many calories does breastfeeding burn? I just want to know how many to record.

Thanks!
    About 600 an hour, but you need to breast feed while on the treadmill...lol

In other words...NOT MUCH!

You don't count it except as it relates to your activity settings.

Although it is generally held that it burns about 500 calories a day on the average, it really depends on how much your baby eats, and how hard your body has to work to produce milk. And 500 calories is a lot! It's hard to burn that much with excersize, and all you have to do is sit and feed your baby to burn it.

Seriously, research this before you tell a nursing mother that. You are wrong.
    Then correct me.

How much per day?
    I don't think anyone can say an accurate exact number per day, because obviously everyone will vary by their own body, and their babies.

But what you're toying with is the only nutrition the OP's baby is going to get. Do you want to play it safe on that? Or do you want to make sure she loses as much weight, fast as possible, 'good luck, baby!'? Because I'm betting the OP wants to play it safe with her baby's nutrition, which means making sure she's getting enough, not erroring on the side of eating too little, and messing with her baby's only food. And I think that's pretty wise.

Honestly, I think the first couple of months are really the time to think about what you're eating, and make sure you're getting enough good calories and fat, and definitely enough liquids. It's really short-sighted to think "I'm just sitting on the couch [to BF], so I don't need many calories," and it's not just mom who will suffer for that train of thought, it's her baby.

A PP said it better, though, just talk to your doctor, OP.
    And this is why one tracking food should account for breastfeeding in their MFP activity setting - NOT entered as a "cardio exercise".
    Honest question-- why would it matter if you're logging it, or if you change your activity setting?

*I don't believe that anyone said to log it as cardio exercise, I said very early to log it in the food log, and a few others have since suggested the same. Though I'm just not sure why it would matter what form taking off those 500-ish calories would take...?
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    This is one reason I hope to have kids soon help me get off these last 55lbs
    Oh, I hope I'm being obtuse and you were joking? :) Honestly, no, it doesn't work like that. Some people drop weight easily by BFing, though you have to remember you're real, real likely to gain a lot in the pregnancy leading up to it, of course. Not to mention you could be someone like me, who gets to the "10-20 lbs above normal" easily while BFing, then finds those last 10-20 almost impossible to lose until BFing is all over. Many people lose the 'big' weight, but it's no garuntee, AND your body knows it's responsible for another person, so it wants to hold on to at least a few extra pounds.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am now 36 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and planning to use the MyFitnessPal app to lose the baby weight after the birth. I was wondering, how many calories does breastfeeding burn? I just want to know how many to record.

Thanks!
    About 600 an hour, but you need to breast feed while on the treadmill...lol

In other words...NOT MUCH!

You don't count it except as it relates to your activity settings.

Although it is generally held that it burns about 500 calories a day on the average, it really depends on how much your baby eats, and how hard your body has to work to produce milk. And 500 calories is a lot! It's hard to burn that much with excersize, and all you have to do is sit and feed your baby to burn it.

Seriously, research this before you tell a nursing mother that. You are wrong.
    Then correct me.

How much per day?
    I don't think anyone can say an accurate exact number per day, because obviously everyone will vary by their own body, and their babies.

But what you're toying with is the only nutrition the OP's baby is going to get. Do you want to play it safe on that? Or do you want to make sure she loses as much weight, fast as possible, 'good luck, baby!'? Because I'm betting the OP wants to play it safe with her baby's nutrition, which means making sure she's getting enough, not erroring on the side of eating too little, and messing with her baby's only food. And I think that's pretty wise.

Honestly, I think the first couple of months are really the time to think about what you're eating, and make sure you're getting enough good calories and fat, and definitely enough liquids. It's really short-sighted to think "I'm just sitting on the couch [to BF], so I don't need many calories," and it's not just mom who will suffer for that train of thought, it's her baby.

A PP said it better, though, just talk to your doctor, OP.
    And this is why one tracking food should account for breastfeeding in their MFP activity setting - NOT entered as a "cardio exercise".
    Honest question-- why would it matter if you're logging it, or if you change your activity setting?

*I don't believe that anyone said to log it as cardio exercise, I said very early to log it in the food log, and a few others have since suggested the same. Though I'm just not sure why it would matter what form taking off those 500-ish calories would take...?
    Because it's a mind set. Too many people use these absurd entries as a handy excuse to avoid exercise.
    But, objectively, it matters not. Math is math.

I just know that if I see such an entry as cardio with no other exercises, then we have the slippery slope to failure.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. While losing weight is great, I think the OP wanted to know how to edit her calorie goals for the breastfeeding. From what I understand you can enter it into MFP and it gives you 500 calories. But I recommend not going below 1700. Granted, I'm just a nursing student and wannabe midwife, but I've read a lot on this.

Also, breastfeeding never guarantees weight loss. I personally dropped 25 pounds during my first pregnancy, but never lost an ounce afterwards, then dropped another 20 while pregnant, but never lost an ounce after during breastfeeding. Each body is so different, it can be impossible to predict.

I hope that helps a bit! Especially in the first two months weight loss shouldn't be a priority - those fatty acids are super important at this time, and it will kill your supply if you aren't eating enough. Good luck!
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I never even thought about logging breastfeeding. My daughter is 18 months and only breastfeeds at naps and bedtime so is there any point? Can I log it as fewer calories?
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    By recording calories burnt for every day activities you will eat too much and not lose weight.

Not to be annoying or anything but I did say I was ignorant and didn't realise.
    No need to say how wrong I was more than once, people.
  • BabyTire
    Options
    I am in the same boat... Only feeding at nap time and before bed. I log it as 1 cup 1 serving adding 100 calories to your daily intake.
  • Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

A quick update;

My gorgeous baby boy is now 11 months old. He's a healthy, wonderful little thing, (well, quite a chunky thing actually :wink: ) & I'm still breastfeeding him along side his solids. I'm also 78lbs lighter & have lost all of my baby weight, yay!

Thank to everyone who replied to the thread.

The main point of my original question was to ensure I ate enough to maintain milk supply (so easy to under eat) without over eating either. I went with recording 500 kcal while EBFing then 300 kcal when he went on to solids. This advice seemed to work as we're both doing great, so thanks! x
  • sarahannm
    Options
    Yes exclusively BF is about 500 a day. Count those lost calories too because you will also be eating extra to fuel you and ur nursing baby. Calorie count goes down when you start to wean either supplement or start solids. Good luck!
  • ABaxley10
    Options
    500 calories is alot, but is it the same with everyone? I'm currently breastfeeding my 2 month old and no matter what or how much I eat I'm constantly hungry yet I have been loosing anywhere from 3 to 5 pounds a week. My baby sleeps through the night but I will wake up 2 to 3 times to eat because I'm so hungry.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    ABaxley, you probably want to get your thyroid checked. Having a baby can do all sorts of wacky things to your hormones. Unless you're starving yourself all day and weigh 300+ lbs, you shouldn't be losing that much or that hungry.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I decided to log breastfeeding as a negative value food entry, because that way I was able to also calculate an estimated fat, carb, and protein loss, so it keeps the rest of my numbers balanced throughout the day. My son is just shy of 15 months and nurses for a full feed on average 6 times in 24 hours, with occasional comfort nursing for bumped noses and sore gums. Here is the link where I got the nutritional information, and the math I used to arrive at the custom food entry I built for my use.

"Breastfeeding Toddler on Solids, 6 feeds/24 hours, approx. 2.5 oz per feed" will bring it up.

http://drtummy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=75:headers&id=537:nutritional-quality-of-breast-milk&Itemid=55

1oz = 0.295735 liters, 1 liter = 33.8140565 ounces

Calories - 20 per oz/676 per liter
    Fat - 1.2g per oz/40.58g per liter
    Carbs - 2.07g per oz/70g per liter
    Protein - .266g per oz/9g per liter

6 feeds (up, nap, up, bedtime, 2x during night), roughly 2.5 oz per feed = 15 oz/24 hours

15 x 20 = 300 calories
    15 x 1.2 = 18g fat
    15 x 2.07 = 31.05g carbohydrates
    15 x .266 = 3.99g protein

Obviously there's some estimating and assuming going on here, since boobs don't come with ounce marks, but I started with a basic assumption of 300 calories per day, and worked it out from there. I designed it to make sense in my head so that I can adjust the serving amount as needed to adjust for days where he skips a feed or nurses constantly.
  • Missewla
    Missewla Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow, I've been exclusively breastfeeding nearly a year and have just realised about logging calories for this - woohoo! As my son is now on solids, (not a great eater at present!) I am going to allow 300 a day for my feeding. That's a nice bonus!!

I gained 4 stone while pregnant and lost 3 of that in the following 6 weeks after birth - that is definitely down to exclusively breastfeeding. My stomach went completely back to normal very quickly too, and I am now getting my six pack back 11 months on!

Been reading everyone's posts and its funny how everyone's an expert, surely its really best to seek professional advice regarding important things?

When my son was around 10 weeks old, I had some family issues which caused me that much upset, I didn't eat hardly a thing for a few weeks. I was so worried I wasn't taking in enough nutrients, I contacted my lovely Breastfeeding Counsellor (note: these have a degree in the subject and are not just loosely trained such as Peer Supporters or Health Visitors). She informed me that I would have to more or less literally starve myself for it to affect my milk. That our bodies are so clever, and would go into protection mode so that the milk production wouldn't suffer. Think of those starving in other countries, they still manage to breastfeed! Obviously, I'm not saying it would be healthy and fortunately my eating got back on track after about a month, but just that its not the end of the world if you are not eating all the right things you think you should and if some days you don't have enough calories. Danger is you'd probably become tired which is not great while looking after a baby but at least the baby would still get everything it needs nutrition wise.

Anyway, it's interesting stuff and shows how clever momma's bodies are! I'm off to enjoy my extra 300 calories for today :-)) x
  • Missewla
    Missewla Posts: 2
    Options
    PS Brilliant Mary Poppins (above) - going to use your entry! x
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If your going to breastfeed dont try to lose weight till after your done breastfeeding! Besides with my first child while breast feeding it seamed i lost weight faster afterwards than my second child were i did not breast feed! DO NOT count calories while breadt feeding eat healthy it will work its self out! Count calories when done breastfeeding
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I take this is your first baby? I have BF 3 children. Trust me when I say you need to focus on a healthy diet, your baby and REST!
    As someone who KNOWS the first 6 weeks at least is gruelling and is the period when most women quit.
    BF is a game of supply and demand, no feeding equals no supply.
    In the UK it's called 'demand feeding', whenever baby demands a feed you give it, it's natures way of building your supply. In the early weeks baby feeds constantly and I mean several times an hour, every hour but as the weeks pass you will see that time spread out to 2 hourly. Remember that includes nights, feed whenever baby asks for it.
    Non experienced BFs around you will question why you're feeding so often and question the baby's hunger levels and indeed your milk supply, IT'S NORMAL.
    Kick back relax it's one of the only times in your life you're allowed to stop and its for good reason.
    Get food, drinks, snacks, remote controls, laptop, phone and foot poof, latch baby on and feed away.
    Remember it took 9 months for your body to get this way, don't rush it's reversal that extra fat goes towards your milk and feeding mothering round the clock takes allot of energy and equally needs allot of rest.
    See www.kellmom.com
    Congratulations and good luck.
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding Counsellor (note: these have a degree in the subject and are not just loosely trained such as Peer Supporters or Health Visitors).

I 100% agree with this comment based on my own experience x 3
  • lunabear16
    Options
    get a life!
  • Lisakinnear
    Options
    Very new to my fitness pal can somebody explain where I would log/add that Iam breastfeeding?
    Thanks
  • gummyjessy7
    Options
    I take this is your first baby? I have BF 3 children. Trust me when I say you need to focus on a healthy diet, your baby and REST!
    As someone who KNOWS the first 6 weeks at least is gruelling and is the period when most women quit.
    BF is a game of supply and demand, no feeding equals no supply.
    In the UK it's called 'demand feeding', whenever baby demands a feed you give it, it's natures way of building your supply. In the early weeks baby feeds constantly and I mean several times an hour, every hour but as the weeks pass you will see that time spread out to 2 hourly. Remember that includes nights, feed whenever baby asks for it.
    Non experienced BFs around you will question why you're feeding so often and question the baby's hunger levels and indeed your milk supply, IT'S NORMAL.
    Kick back relax it's one of the only times in your life you're allowed to stop and its for good reason.
    Get food, drinks, snacks, remote controls, laptop, phone and foot poof, latch baby on and feed away.
    Remember it took 9 months for your body to get this way, don't rush it's reversal that extra fat goes towards your milk and feeding mothering round the clock takes allot of energy and equally needs allot of rest.
    See www.kellmom.com
    Congratulations and good luck.

Spot on!!!!