late night eating..stop

Options
I am having a problem eating late at night how do i stop my self from doing that..

Replies

• Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    Go to bed.

Frozen fruit

Drink water

Go for a walk (exercise)

Sit and look at your calorie intake for the day (really works if what you want to eat will put you over)

read.

type/write

keep both hands busy

stay out of the kitchen

brush your teeth.

altho i must say knowing your weaknesses is a head start and having a plan in place for when you are at your 'weakest' is a huge start!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Can't seem to stay out of the kitchen when I'm up late alone waiting for one of my boys to come home. Haven't been able to control myself.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how we can just find ourselves in the kitchen out of habit, looking in the fridge or a food closet, without even realizing how we got there. The key is recognizing the behavior for what it is and making the conscious decision to do something else. Remember, you're not really hungry. You have to make the choice to do something else and there are good recommendations here. This is about will power and you can do this.
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    It's amazing how we can just find ourselves in the kitchen out of habit, looking in the fridge or a food closet, without even realizing how we got there. The key is recognizing the behavior for what it is and making the conscious decision to do something else. Remember, you're not really hungry. You have to make the choice to do something else and there are good recommendations here. This is about will power and you can do this.

Like tonight i had chips and dip, and i tried drinking water and it didnt help so i caved in :(
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    GET THAT FOOD OUT THEN!

if you know that it is problem food then dont bring it into your house (even just for a little bit until you can this evening feeding out of the way)

you cant eat chips and dip if its not in the house.
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    GET THAT FOOD OUT THEN!

if you know that it is problem food then dont bring it into your house (even just for a little bit until you can this evening feeding out of the way)

you cant eat chips and dip if its not in the house.

I know that.. that was the only bad thing left in my house , but to get the munches
  • ChocChipMuffin
    Options
    Do you log your food on MFP? Since I joined I find clicking the finish logging button (or whatever it's called) after my evening meal/snack helps me feel like' right, that's it for the day'. If I still feel the urge to eat something I will normally go have a relaxing bath and then watch a film or read in bed to get away from the kitchen area.

Do you have healthy snacks at home? If so I've read that things like bananas are good if you really want to eat in the evening as they can aid sleep (I am not a nutritionist so I do not state this as fact) and they're nice and filling too!
  • jo31071972
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I have started really focusing on drinking water, I find from a bottle helps more and cold from the fridge. Also I know its really old but chopping up some carrots and cucumber, apples for night munching help me - good luck!
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    Do you log your food on MFP? Since I joined I find clicking the finish logging button (or whatever it's called) after my evening meal/snack helps me feel like' right, that's it for the day'. If I still feel the urge to eat something I will normally go have a relaxing bath and then watch a film or read in bed to get away from the kitchen area.

Do you have healthy snacks at home? If so I've read that things like bananas are good if you really want to eat in the evening as they can aid sleep (I am not a nutritionist so I do not state this as fact) and they're nice and filling too!

Ill try that but i always thought eating anything late is bad
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am having a problem eating late at night how do i stop my self from doing that..
    try eating properly during the day - your diary shows you are WAY under.
  • ChocChipMuffin
    Options

Ill try that but i always thought eating anything late is bad

I've heard that too. Some places say the food digesting in your stomach stops you sleeping well and others contradict it by saying sleeping slows down your digestion so the food will just sit in your stomach. Does anyone know more about this?

The point is, if you are going to eat late, surely something like a banana is a healthier choice than some other snacks like crisps or chocolate?
  • sbgolfer06
    Options
    try eating properly during the day - your diary shows you are WAY under.

yea i cant sleep at night so im up until 6am est then sleep until 4pm est and so it could be that
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Try planning ahead so you meet MFP's calorie goal for you - there are some days in your diary where you only eat half your recommended calories. The reason you have the munchies at night is probably because you aren't properly fueling your body.

Also, it doesn't matter what time you eat - what matters is whether or not you are staying within a calorie deficit.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Try planning ahead so you meet MFP's calorie goal for you - there are some days in your diary where you only eat half your recommended calories. The reason you have the munchies at night is probably because you aren't properly fueling your body.

Also, it doesn't matter what time you eat - what matters is whether or not you are staying within a calorie deficit.

this is all true. the calories MFP gives you is already a deficit. by trying to come way under that you're trying to be more catholic then the pope. in the beginning, counting calories is hard, really hard. and because people go from one extreme where they are like EAT ALL THE THINGS to the other end of the spectrum where they go "yes i'd like some salad" its no wonder people fall of the wagon so often.

if eating late at night is your biggest hurdle, then you need to tackle it head on. one of the ways to do that is to eat enough during the day. you can also do this: allow yourself some late night calories. did you log what you ate last night? no. go do it. do it now. i'll wait.

ok, how many calories was that? you probably eat way to much, so allow yourself like half those calories in the middle of the night if that is what you have problems with.
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    LosingMyselfin2011 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that you are not alone. Late night eating is my major problem too. It doesn't matter what "rules" I set for myself. sometimes I will do awsome all day...then totally blow it right before bed. So lately I've been trying to schedule my evenings more. Like exercise, bath, go straight to bed. sometimes it helps.
  • queenB20
    Options
    thank you for these posts!! I do the same exact thing - esp when I have trouble falling asleep!!

I love the sliced cucumbers and carrot idea!! I've also tried the frozen grapes idea and it really works. Someone suggested drinking a "green smoothie later at night (like after dinner) if you're going to be up late and that has REALLY helped me! there are tons of variations of the green smoothie, but I make one with 1 cup spinach, 1/2 apple, lemon juice, 1/2 banana and toss it in a blender. Great way to substitute veggies for chips and salsa (which are also my weakness)!