What's the point of cheat meals?

Options
First of all, what is a cheat meal exactly? Is it when you eat unhealthy foods and stay within the calorie goal or is it when you go over the limit? I was wondering why you have it and how does it help?
Also, how many do you have per week or month?
I don't have any 'cheat meals' as I would feel extremely guilty eating any junk food or going even slightly over.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    for many, a cheat meal, or even a cheat day is a psychological tool they use to justify counting calories the other 90% or the time.

i don't plan my cheat meals or calorie spike days, but it happens, and its ok. i limit my junk food, so if i cheat, its usually with pizza. i always log everything. on a rest day when i'm going to have a big work out the next day, i'll have a big cheat dinner, like 1000 calories of pasta, meat, sauce, salad, etc. i'll work out like a beat the next morning.

just like intermitten fasting, or eating 6 meals a day, its another tool to help you lose weight. you may or may not respond well to them, but the only way to find out is to try. every body is different, and you need to find out what combination of things works for you.
  • Boring2Fit
    Options
    for many, a cheat meal, or even a cheat day is a psychological tool they use to justify counting calories the other 90% or the time.

i don't plan my cheat meals or calorie spike days, but it happens, and its ok. i limit my junk food, so if i cheat, its usually with pizza. i always log everything. on a rest day when i'm going to have a big work out the next day, i'll have a big cheat dinner, like 1000 calories of pasta, meat, sauce, salad, etc. i'll work out like a beat the next morning.

just like intermitten fasting, or eating 6 meals a day, its another tool to help you lose weight. you may or may not respond well to them, but the only way to find out is to try. every body is different, and you need to find out what combination of things works for you.

Oh okay thanks for the info! I probably won't have cheat days because I'm scared to go over and feel extremely guilty if I eat anything bad. However, is intermittent fasting any good?
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week where I allow myself anything (within reason). It helps mentally, but also can shock my metabolism a bit. My body is used to 1400-1600 cals a day and hitting it with 2000+ is a wake up call.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day", but now and then I have a meal or day of meals that vary from my daily way of eating.
    For me a day off is probably a birthday or a vacation. If I'm going to a party I have pretty much whatever I want and log in in and perhaps go over for that day. If I'm on vacation, I try to pick a meal or two to have something I normally wouldn't instead of pigging out the entire vacation.
    For me, it is the opportunity for variety that is most important. I can't stick to a plan that permanently excludes some of my favorite foods. Knowing I can have them once in a while makes it easier to put off having them today.
    Some people have a planned day or meal that allows them to add back favorites that they crave or miss.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have a splurge meal every Friday night. My boyfriend and I traditionally go out for dinner that evening. I behave the rest of the week, but I know that on Friday night, I can have whatever I want. I've changed my eating habits so much though, that I am usually pretty careful even during my splurge meal. My splurge meal may take me 500-700 calories over for the entire day, but I don't worry about it, or try to make up for it with exercise, etc.

For me its about moderation. My splurge meals are fun, guilt free, and help keep me on track the rest of the week.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same. I almost never go over my daily calories, but twice in the last fortnight I have (Christmas day and NYE), and despite still being 600 cals under my weekly goal both weeks, I have gained 4 lbs in a fortnight. So I think I will go back to not fooling myself that a day off every once in a while is ok. It isn't for me.
  • Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    Options
    for me cheat meal is when i eat junk food and go over in cals, i have it like once or twice in a month :wink:
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same. I almost never go over my daily calories, but twice in the last fortnight I have (Christmas day and NYE), and despite still being 600 cals under my weekly goal both weeks, I have gained 4 lbs in a fortnight. So I think I will go back to not fooling myself that a day off every once in a while is ok. It isn't for me.

For you to gain 4 pounds of actual fat you'd have to eat 14000 calories over your maintenance. Most likely you've got some water retention going on from excess sodium. Personally, I take a day off once a week partly so I can have some of the foods I used to eat all of the time and partly to prove to myself that food doesn't control my life. Sort of a "I eat what I want but I don't have to eat it all the time" type of thing.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Oh okay thanks for the info! I probably won't have cheat days because I'm scared to go over and feel extremely guilty if I eat anything bad. However, is intermittent fasting any good?
    [/quote]

I have been trying to challenge these guilt feelings. I know exactly what you mean - and I believe it has been one of the things that has kept weight on me - I stressed about everything that wasn't a lettuce basically (not quite but you know what I mean). The beauty of MFP is often I 'think' I have gorged - purely because of feeling full or guilty about something - and when I actually put it in the diary - things aren't that bad - so I am just trying to re educate my brain I guess.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't really have cheat days as much as once in a while I allow myself to eat something that will in no way fit my plan... like the chinese food I had last night for dinner.

Today my weight was up by about a pound and a half over yesterday but that wasn't real gain, chinese food has a ton of sodium so its probably mostly water. So today I'll drink alot and be back on plan and my weight will probably fall again for wednesdays weight in.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat" day (more like a meal, though) every week.

I normally still stay within my calories but eat things I usually wouldn't eat - white potatoes, white rice, sauces (like BBQ), restaurant food, red meat, maybe a margarita, a decadent dessert, fried foods - just more "unhealthy" or high calorie foods in general.

I don't see it as a reward or a break, just a way to have a more relaxed day about what I am eating and a chance to eat something different.

It's worked very well for me.

Edit: Typo Queen
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't have any 'cheat meals' as I would feel extremely guilty eating any junk food or going even slightly over.
    Maybe you need to take a step back from the diet.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    9 years ago, when I lost 91 pounds, and kept it off for 3 years before becoming pregnant with my son, I had a cheat day, which was Saturdays. When I first started out, that day was a free-for-all, but I was still losing weight because Sunday-Friday I was very rigid about what I ate. As time went on, it was still my cheat day, but I physically could not eat a lot of food so it was more things like pizza and soda that I didn't eat the other days of the week. I also was going out dancing every Saturday night which helped burn it off.
    This time around, I'm not planning on any cheat meals or days. I'm tired of struggling to lose the weight again and I don't think a cheat meal or cheat day will help me at all. Maybe as time goes on and I start losing, I'll incorporate a meal or two back in that I consider "cheating"
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day yesterday . There were things I have been craving and I allowed myself to have some of them yesterday and did not feel guilty one bit about it. I did not track the food but a few bites of this and that and I was satisfied. Big change from before. This morning I woke up and got right back on the program. For me it was have that day or go over board the rest of the week.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    In my opinion:

Cheat Meal is a silly concept. You are either within your daily limits of calories and macronutrients in which case you are not cheating, or you are over your target intake which makes it a cheat day.

EDIT: And additionally, I think cheat days are a viable strategy for some people, for both physiological and psychological reasons.
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    I try to fit my junk food cravings in my daily calorie limit (e.g. a Toaster Strudel once in a while as breakfast). However, it happens that on the weekends I have a cheat day, as being around my husband usually makes it hard to stick to my good eating habits. I still try not to go totally overboard and stick within a calorie limit that would make me keep my weight. I allow myself a visit to a buffet restaurant once every four weeks, for example, which is for me a treat, because I love the variety of food, but I also know I tend to overindulge when I go.
    It is easier for me to keep up the good habits in the long run when I know I can treat myself from time to time to something, so for me it is a tool that helps.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I do splurges here and there by zig-zagging my calories. I track my calories by the week, not the day, as your body doesn't automatically reset itself every 24 hours anyway. So I might have days where I've eaten under my 1200 net due to extra clean eating and just not being very hungry so those calories are banked to use later in the week if I have a day where my hunger levels are higher or am going to an event where there will be food items I'll want to eat that are more calorie-dense and typically off my eating plan. It all works out. Even with splurges, I rarely go over my weekly calorie target.

I feel bad when I read that someone feels guilty for eating something off-plan. Food is a part of the way we celebrate together and I figure even thin people eat things that aren't "diet food". It's just a matter of balancing times of eating off plan so they don't over-ride the days you've eaten on plan.

Even if you have a day a week or couple days a month where you eat way over and go over your calories for the week, it shouldn't really result in any gain (although you might see a gain on the scale due to water and bloat) but it will go away quickly. There is evidence that this is a good thing for your metabolism as it shakes things up, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the guilt feelings being expressed here than anything. Occasionally eating off plan doesn't make you a bad person so you shouldn't feel guilty. It just means you're human.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I feel bad when I read that someone feels guilty for eating something off-plan. Food is a part of the way we celebrate together and I figure even thin people eat things that aren't "diet food". It's just a matter of balancing times of eating off plan so they don't over-ride the days you've eaten on plan.

<snip>

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the guilt feelings being expressed here than anything. Occasionally eating off plan doesn't make you a bad person so you shouldn't feel guilty. It just means you're human.

Every word of Funkycamper said, especially those. :smile:

I'd ditched the feelings of guilt a long time ago, but what really cemented it for me was going to an event put on by a local runner's club. I'd been to a number of races, and most have water or gatorade and bananas or granola bars for the post-race party. Sometimes they have chips or brownies or cookies, but a lot of attract a good number of walkers as well as runners.

This event put on by the runner's club was different. They were all (maybe with the exception of me!) serious runners. Athletes. The Super-fit. And after the run, they had water and bananas, but also soda, beer, donuts, cookies, candy bars, pizza, subs... the kind of foods that would give a "clean eater" a meltdown. And there were all those super fit athletes, chomping down on all those delicious foods without a care in the world.

That's a normal, healthy relationship with foods. Guilt isn't healthy. Sadly, it's normal. Or at least common.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If I have a meal or several that puts me under my calorie goal still I don't count it as a cheat meal/day as I'm under my target, and that was the goal :) I will eat whatever I feel like as long as it fits my macros (junk food all day would NOT fit my macros even if I was under cals so the majority of what I eat is healthy)

For me a "cheat day" is when I would go over my calorie goal. It works well for some people, especially if their usual goal is quite low (1200?) as it helps them not feel too restricted and can sometimes break a plateau.
    I don't plan them personally though, I go over occasionally anyway without planning for it so to me it seems silly to plan more.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in feeling guilty for eating something. Unless you're a cannibal, or something to that effect, I just have never had that attitude, and I find it unhealthy, I think.

The point of cheat meals, to me, is like the "point" of going to the (indoor) pool with my kids this afternoon, in a few minutes. To have fun. :) I suppose I "cheat" a lot, I workout hard, but I like to eat hard, and I'm not hindered in my fitness when I eat more at one meal, or one day.

To me it's more important to eat healthy foods, and to run/work/play hard, than it is to strictly follow a rule book on calories and slap my hand if I don't do it just right. Life is about enjoying, and while maybe I would be 5 lbs less if I miserably only ate exactly XYZ, it wouldn't be worth it to me. :)