So, I married an Italian

Options
Marrying an Italian is NOT GOOD for my waistline. I was doing fab fab fab yesterday and then Grandma Casablanca called and asked us to go to a home-cooked dinner. Pounds of pasta and meatballs later, I obliterated my goals for the day -- and not in a good way!

Any tips for portion control when your grandmother-in-law is insisting you eat more?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I grew up with Italians on one side and Jews on the other. I have no tips except to just keep saying no until they stop.

And keep in mind, while they're pushing that food at you, the second you gain an ounce, they're going to start telling you you're too fat. And then offer you a cookie. And insist you eat it.
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    Kindly say no or if that doesn't work tell her you will explode all over her table if you eat another bite. Not so easy when you have a food pusher. Good luck!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    And keep in mind, while they're pushing that food at you, the second you gain an ounce, they're going to start telling you you're too fat. And then offer you a cookie. And insist you eat it.

bwah! i know, right?!
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Don't Italians eat salad after dinner? Just tell her you only want a reasonable portion b/c you're trying to save room for her delicious salad.

On a sidenote, I looked up Tiramisu in MFP the other day, and I almost cried.
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...Mangia! Mangia!
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Marrying an Italian is NOT GOOD for my waistline. I was doing fab fab fab yesterday and then Grandma Casablanca called and asked us to go to a home-cooked dinner. Pounds of pasta and meatballs later, I obliterated my goals for the day -- and not in a good way!

Any tips for portion control when your grandmother-in-law is insisting you eat more?

you should push for a trip to Italy....I am sure you will see how different, and healthy, real Italian food is. You're talking about American food, like every ethnic based food, Americans amp it up.

I haven't been to Italy, but would appreciate it if you would try to fit me into your luggage.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    EAT SLOWLY. I also married an Italian (which is largely why I'm here...) and if your husband's family is anything like my husband's family, "no" is just not an option. I've started eating so obnoxiously slowly that I'm still eating when Gram comes around with seconds and thirds. For dessert, I've been saying I'll have some later -- because dinner was too delicious, I'm not ready. Then I just drink coffee until that's put away too.

**This has ony worked twice. I have no idea if it'll work long term!
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Learn a couple phrases in Italian...

Nonna mi piace il vostro cibo, ma si prega di smettere di infilarselo in gola. Ti amo!

Try that one! lol.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

There's one little trick I use sometimes. So if you finish your plate, they'll ask if you want more. You can say no, but they'll still give you more food. So what you need to do is let them fill your plate, but then don't eat any of it. As long as the plate is full, they won't offer more.
  • sjp1951
    sjp1951 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So funny but so true about the weight gain comment.:smile:
  • NatyRusso
    Options
    My hubby is Italian and I am Spanish, total fat food combo! I got my hubby working out with me and eating healthy, his family and mine know we are staying on the right track no matter what! We eat anything we want in moderation, lots of salad, VERY little pasta or rice, easy on the meat. you can do it, I promise! Stay strong, taste and enjoy, just don't endulge!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    My live in boyfriend's family is Italian. HUGE meals with tons and tons of homemade pasta and pizza. He cooks and bakes DAILY as well. After gaining about 15 pounds, I have learned to eat in moderation and very slowly. It not only helps with digestion, it also helps ward off any thoughts of a second helping.

I currently weigh less than what I did when we started dating. The amount of food served hasn't changed, but my approach to the situation has.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I didn't marry an Italian I was birthed by one. My helpful hint is this: Develop a few food intolerances (Gluten and Casein worked for me).

Also, go vegan, then you can't eat anything grandma makes.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Learn a couple phrases in Italian...

Nonna mi piace il vostro cibo, ma si prega di smettere di infilarselo in gola. Ti amo!

Try that one! lol.

La Nonna MI ama il cibo, ma questo è troppo per me da gestire.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't read the post.

I just wanted to tell you that I LOVED the title. Hah.
  • tiffanymullins
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!!
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have a talk with your husband and have him speak up when they start piling food on your plate.
  • sucowan
    Options
    stop inserting it in your throat? I never heard that phrase before!

So, I am Italian-American and I go to Italy every 2-3 years. You just don't see too many fat Italians (at least NOTHING like here in the states). The difference? They don't snack, they walk all the time and they eat fresh, fresh food with lots of veggies. Yes, they pull it all out when you go visit them but under normal circumstances, they don't eat many sweets and they eat pretty light. Like someone else said, the food there is totally different! Lighter, more fish, lots of vegetables.
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have learned never to turn down food from an italian. Just don't eat all of it. And keep doing what you can to burn calories.
  • Eufy
    Eufy Posts: 14
    Options
    Fake a gluten allergy. That basically eliminates the option of eating most grains, bread, pasta, etc...