Disabled young adult

Options
I'm a 21 year old girl. I have always struggled with my weight due to the fact that I have such a hard time finding exercises i can do. Any people on here that have a partial paralysis?

Replies

• 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with your disability but wanted to say welcome and good luck. This site is great for encouragement and support.
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't have disability (unless you count 65 year-old knees), but you might like to connect with this site.

http://www.tryforothers.org/main.php
  • SuccessAllTheWeigh
    Options
    Just wanted to say welcome!
    -Brooke
  • slluggylump
    slluggylump Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • slluggylump
    slluggylump Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    JipsyJudy,

what is the site about? How will it help me?
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    It's a charity for disabled athletes, founded by a friend of my younger son. I just thought reading about what some of them are doing might inspire you.
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
    Here's what it says on the site: "TEAM TFO is a Try For Others program that encourages disabled persons to challenge their limitations, defy stereotypes, and re-define the meaning of being disabled. TFO founder, Dominic Cooke, first began thinking about the program in 2009 after returning from a cycling camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO."
  • JipsyJudy
    Options
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am disabled too, my right leg from the knee down is paralyzed. I found the best way to get into working out is swimming and walking(very slow lol).since then ive gained alot more movement and have started weight training the muscles in my leg by doing sitting calf raises.but if you are just starting out swimming is really the best workout because there isn't any stress put on joints and its hard to hurt yourself.
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am 21 too, since we are so young it gives us a lot of room to grow and get better :)
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    I suffer from disability too, I am always here if you need encouragement :)
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hey
    I don't have partial paralysis i have something called myasthenia gravis meaning that i can't use the majority of my muscles. If i can help and you want to swap notes, please feel free to add me
    Lotte
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    .... partial paralysis?

There's a guy that goes to my gym that's in a wheelchair. He fights it out pretty hard. I've never seen anything so inspirational in my life. He comes in & uses the weight equipment mostly. He has a spotter who helps him climb onto some of the equipment, & pulls his chair back close for him to get back in after he's finished. The equipment I've seen him use works: abs, obliques, lats, chest, arms, shoulders... I've seen him do pull-ups, crunches, medicine ball work, rope pulling, use resistance bands...

Also:

My cousin has Ceribral Palsy (sp?) she was born with it. She's about your age, actually, maybe a year or two younger. But she's had a leg brace, & is very weak on the right side. BUT she was the only kid in kindergarten who didn't need one of the teachers or monitors to help her lace up her shoes, or zip up her coat at recess. Recently, her sister took photos of her in a "trash the dress" photo shoot. She was running around (minus the running, because she really can't) in a full-on wedding dress with a crinaline playing PAINTBALL. With the exception that her condition doesn't allow her to shoot the gun, because she doesn't have that muscular control in her hands. But of course... nature gave her an unbelieveable metabolism, so the little witch is about 12lbs.

And:

One of my best friends in college had Ceribral Palsy. She has struggled with her weight her entire life. She recently lost about 30lbs using Wii fit. It also helped with her balance, and mobility. She now owns her own Pizza restaurant, & since her marriage ended, has lost a futher 10lbs dieting.

Oh, and one more:

My Dad's friend fell out of a tree-stand a couple of years ago while hunting. He was taking it down to pack it away so they could go home, & the supporting chain broke. He broke his back. Luckily, the ENTIRE hunting group was full of doctors, nurses, nurse practitionners, a paramedic, firemen, & a former mountain-rescue worker. They got him out safely by helecopter, to the nearest hospital (about 2 hours away). This was about 3 years ago. Doctors told him he'd probably never walk again. He now walks with a walker, and has since been back to the hunt camp with the guys. This time? He cooks & takes care of the camp, & sits & plays poker with the men when they come in at the end of the day.

Never let ANYONE tell you that you can't do something. As soon as they tell you that, you'll start to THINK it... even subconsiously. These people are NOT helping you. They do NOT have your best interests at heart. They have already made assumptions about you: that you will never be capable. That there is something wrong with you. You can do ANYTHING you want to do; you just have to fight for it, that's all. God (and it doesn't matter if you call him Jehovah, God, Shiva, or Allah, it's all the same for my purposes) only dumped this on you because he knew you had more fight in you than other people. He won't give you more than you can take.

You just do whatever it is that you want to do, & screw everyone else & their opinions. It's all you. You can do it. That's why this happened to you. So that you can prove to yourself, and the world what you're capable of doing.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome and I hope you come across loads of great exercises and inspiration on here x