Alcohol Consumption and Weight Loss

Options
I stayed in on New Year's Eve and cleaned my car, home, and body from top to bottom and thereby skipped a champagne toast. I was curious to see if alcohol counted as "carbs", and found some interesting reading on the caloric content and metabolic impacts of alcohol.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2009/07/17/the-skinny-on-alcoholic-beverages-and-weight-loss

http://www.shapefit.com/alcohol-calories.html

http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Health-Fitness/Alcohol-and-Calories-Does-Drinking-Cause-Weight-Gain

I've been avoiding alcohol strictly because of my caloric restrictions. Further, I know that my satiety is tied to volume so I tend to avoid caloric beverages/smoothies and just eat loads of fibrous veggies.

How do you deal with alcoholic beverages when it comes to your weight loss goals?

Replies

• amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    For me, the alcohol is less about the calories but it's effect on my focus and willpower. I find that now even one drink or so will reduce my judgment as to the necessary wisdom of controlling my "weaknesses" - ie chips, nuts, etc all of which are very calorie-dense and very easy to munch down hundreds (if not a thousand!) calories. So the alcohol effect for is more about the consequential outcomes from drinking than the drinking per se. My bride and I have a pretty iron-clad rule about designated driver roles so that the one who is driving does not imbibe at all allowing the other to participate in the drinking. I always get to be the driver when there is a reasonable possibility of margaritas!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    sometimes, you have to think less about the calories, and think about your sanity. a bit of a drink here and there will do you good in the long term by helping you relax, you just have to box a bit clever

Diet soda and spirits is lower cal than soda and spirits
    try to avoid beers and ciders
    The drier the wine, the lower the calories

Dont become single minded, or obsessed about anything in life. have a bit of fun from time to time

http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/calories-in-alcohol.aspx
  • kayasuma
    Options
    Actually I went to abuse on alcohol in christmas and new year's, but I'm 24 and usually all parties have loads of alcohol. I'm thinking about toning it down a bit, and only consume to my taste or just to get a little tipsy, because binge drinking is really a load on your body, and it's killing my calories (usually there's a huge spike of cals in my week).

But no way I can stop drinking my german and belgium beers, it's one of those things you can't say no for life, just consume it wisely.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Alcohol totally sabotages my weight loss efforts! I enjoy high sugar mixed drinks and usually have several. If I am being serious about losing weight, I have to stay away from alcohol altogether.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 30 pounds and never stopped drinking alcohol. I do make sure I log my calories and keep the snacking in check.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    If I'm out drinking, as I was this past NYE, I do a few things. If I'm drinking beer I either have one good one and nurse it a bit or if I think I'll be drinking a number of them i'll stick to domestic light beers. My other option is to stick to simple mixers with diet cola. Jack and diet is 95 calories. Generally I've found that as long as I keep the calories in line and rehydrate with water the day after, I do fine.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I know alcohol tends to put weight on me or hinders my attempts to lose it even when I'm watching calories. Like the previous poster said it is a lot about willpower with me too. I can do great all day but a couple of drinks and after I'm reaching for foods I shouldn't be. The only times in my life I've lost weight (although to be fair I never tried as a teen and person in my early 20's as I was blessed with a fast metabolism) was during my three pregnancies. I came out of each one lighter than I started because my eating habits became healthier and I gave up the drinks.

That said I enjoy a glass of wine or a cold beer way too much to stick to a permanent lifestyle change that doesn't ever allow for them. I'm trying my best to learn moderation. For awhile my hubby and I were enjoying wine with dinner every night and I'd often crack a beer while I prepared it. I bounced back and forth with losing the same couple pounds but not making great progress. At the moment I'm dealing with what is probably double stress fractures and taking pain pills at night to calm the pain so I've stopped drinking any alcohol during this period as I don't want to mix. And since I've cut the alcohol I've been steadily losing weight again and making better food choices. That is giving me the motivation to consider staying dry for a bit but I will at some point add back in a beer with lunch out here and glass of wine with dinner there.
  • Elfinmajic
    Elfinmajic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me it does have a decent amount to do with the calories. If I can only have say 1500 a day, if I use a few hundred on beer, that isn't the best way to go about it on a restrictive diet. But a lot of it has to do with the alcohol induced appetite that I get. I almost eat way more than I should when I drink. I lose will power and my inhibitions when I drink too much.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I work and hang out with guys who drink 4+ times a week.

Even yesterday we watched football, made snacks and such and I didn't have one drink. I only endulge if it's an occasion or something funs going on. Sitting around with guys drinking doesn't do it for me anymore.

If there's no girls out, I don't see the point in drinking.. It's calories well-wasted.

On that note, all of em are overweight, despite 3 of us being within 10lbs of eachother. Go figure.

Anyway, I attribute the alcohol and other things they do to their poor health and physical appearance. The one guy looks nearly 60 and is only about 35.
  • margaretmillen
    Options
    I agree! I try to not become too obsessed with my diet and I seam to stick to it better! As long as you are losing weighed consistently a drink here and there is relaxing and takes your mind off of the stress of you life.
  • TheSane
    TheSane Posts: 24
    Options
    For me, the alcohol is less about the calories but it's effect on my focus and willpower. I find that now even one drink or so will reduce my judgment as to the necessary wisdom of controlling my "weaknesses" - ie chips, nuts, etc all of which are very calorie-dense and very easy to munch down hundreds (if not a thousand!) calories. So the alcohol effect for is more about the consequential outcomes from drinking than the drinking per se. My bride and I have a pretty iron-clad rule about designated driver roles so that the one who is driving does not imbibe at all allowing the other to participate in the drinking. I always get to be the driver when there is a reasonable possibility of margaritas!

This is the same for me. As I reviewed my food diary, I realized major calorie overages corresponded with the days I drank wine or beer. I'm going to avoid alcohol for a while.