Over Eating

Options
I have an issue where...i know proper amount of food to eat..after i eat it..im not hungry anymore..But to me..since im use to eating alot..it feel like a appetizer...just enough to take the hunger down a notch....i feel liek im not satisfied unless im bursting fromt he seems and wanna go to sleep...make sense? How the heck do i control this? Besides drinking lots of water..i try that....it makes me feel sloshy

Replies

• amynicole83
    amynicole83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well I know that this will make your calorie counter go down but you can always have milk when you eat or when you are having a bigger meal. Milk if filling for me so might help you get that feeling with a glass of milk instead of the other half of your meal.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It could be the type of foods you are eating. Maybe try eating food with higher amounts of protein, that seems to be filling. I like to do chicken and what not, and stay away from a lot of the carbs like bread and pasta because I feel like the bread and pasta doesn't fill me, yet is alot of calories. Good luck!
  • beautybloom
    Options
    I get the sloshiness :P
    When I diet I honestly have to go hungry the first couple of days of my diet because I'm trying to readjust my body but try adding more veggies, whole wheats breads, and fruits to your diet. All these foods have high sources of fiber, and fiber fills you up.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't be here myself :flowerforyou:

Have you tried filling up on high bulk low calorie foods? Have you suddenly cut from previous portions to small ones, when it might have been better to gradually cut down? Are you eating consciously, slowing down when you eat and savouring every mouthful?

xxx
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Try a big leafy salad. Low on cals, but it feels like you're eating a lot. Same with veggies. The sleepy feeling is probably from carb overload. Can't see your diary, so no idea what you're actually eating. Protein is filling. The right kind of fats, like nuts, can be filling too. Or make sure you leave enough calories in your day for an after dinner snack to spread out the food or help you feel less deprived. Fiber helps too. Just a shot in the dark.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    smaller plates worked for me, tricked my mind into thinking i'd eaten more. also eat using chopsticks (obviously some meals are easier than others) it takes longer so the body has more time to register the food you have eaten. chewing your food lots helps also again for the time reason plus digestion starts in the mouth so give the body a helping hand by doing most of the mushing up before you swallow. god luck with your journey :-)
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That feeling goes away after you have been at this a while. What I did was to eat a gigantic pile of yummy greens with dinner. Things like rapini, mustard greens, brussels sprouts or green beans.
    After a while, it's easier to feel full.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had the same situation. I had a HUGE appetite and once I started watching portions I was like "What is this...smurf food?".

I ended up eating a HUGE bowl of lettuce with a little cucumber thrown in before my main meal so when it came time to eat that, I was halfway there and was 'full' after eating.

Then came the smaller plates for the entree. That helps ALOT. I also try to eat something 'raw' with my dinner like baby carrots or green pepper strips. The work it takes to crunch crunch crunch and the time it takes seems to help as well.

Drinking never helps me. It doesn't fill that 'food void'.

You'll get there.....just try some tricks of the trade and before you know it, you'll be full, look down at your plate and see there is still half of it left!!
  • 0namission
    Options
    im soo gonna try soem of these ideass! today i drank water and ugh...slosh slosh slosh. I like eating peanuts and chese...no mater the amount i seem to get fuller quicker with those 2..but they are so high in calorie i cant eat em like i wanttt
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat a big helping of veggies with my meal I tend to not need to eat more an hour later. My favorite is broccoli and carrots steamed with 1tbsp of soy sauce. Also, if I know I'm not really hungry, but keep thinking about eating more I start to exercise instead. I'll do crunches, jumping jacks, etc.. Good luck, it will just take some time for your body to get use to this!
  • PhoenyxRysyng
    PhoenyxRysyng Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Something else that might help, at least until your body begins to adjust to the new portion sizes, is to find a hobby or activity that you enjoy and that keeps your mind occupied. Ever wanted to learn watercolor painting, or play a musical instrument? These are exactly the types of things that will help to keep your mind off of the extra food you didn't put into your body.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Also, when you eat, try slowing down and chewing more. It takes your brain about 20 minutes to realize that you're full, so if you still feel hungry, just give it some time and see if you're still truly hungry after you've waited a bit.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The key is that you said you aren't hungry, you just aren't full. I think that's the problem with a lot of us is that we are conditioned to expect to be full. I realized that the balance between growling and full feels better and I feel lighter. I noticed after eating a heavier lunch one day that I was so sleepy and felt like lead, even though it was within my calories. I'm just learning not to want to be full all the time. But for certain days, it does feel good to be able to indulge and eat lightly most of the day so you can have one big meal and feel the full satisfaction. Adding the cruciferous vegetables like suggested is a good idea, too. I know healthy foods that take a long time to chew, really make me register that I ate. Sometimes I'm tired of eating just because chewing broccoli or even apples, takes more effort than a piece of cheese so you don't want to keep eating to get full.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I exercise more so I can eat more so I'm not hungry. I also make sure I have protein with every meal/snack and I don't do refined carbs which make you feel hungry.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    The reason I live on veggies!!!! I can have a whole cucumber for around 50 calories. I slice it really thin, so it takes a lot of time to eat it. I add low calorie vegetables to everything so it seems like I am eating more of "main course ". You can add sliced Zucchini to pasta, mushrooms, water chestnuts, shredded carrots are good fillers. Just examples.

In my fridge prepped right now are...

Cucumbers
    Bell peppers
    carrots
    celery (Great when you want something crunchy and salty)
    Cherry tomatoes
    apples and oranges
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    eat a bowl of low calorie soup, which is filling. Drink a cup of tea before you eat. Or after. The idea is to trick your tummy into feeling full.

I NEED carbs. I don't care what anyone says. When I go heavy on the protein I am still hungry. Last night I was starved after dinner. I waited an hour, had a bowl of plain oatmeal with some raspberries and finally felt full.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I find if i get moving and stay busy i don't concentrate on food as much, but when i'm sitting around like now i am hungry more often. I get the sloshy feeling i have it now. lol Plus just coming off the holidays and eating and drinking a lot i find that i am starving as well until my portions get under control again. In other words your not alone.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have an issue where...i know proper amount of food to eat..after i eat it..im not hungry anymore..But to me..since im use to eating alot..it feel like a appetizer...just enough to take the hunger down a notch....i feel liek im not satisfied unless im bursting fromt he seems and wanna go to sleep...make sense? How the heck do i control this? Besides drinking lots of water..i try that....it makes me feel sloshy
    You just need to work through it.
    There is no easy answer. Drinking water won't work, and neither will eating celery or whatever.
    It's painful, hard but worth it in the end.

I am just like that. People who don't understand what you're talking about are clueless.
    Again, you just have to punch your way through those cravings and it gets easier.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    That feeling goes away after you have been at this a while. What I did was to eat a gigantic pile of yummy greens with dinner. Things like rapini, mustard greens, brussels sprouts or green beans.
    After a while, it's easier to feel full.

^This^

I agree.....the feeling does go away after a while. Maybe look into a hobby of some sort to take your mind off of food will help?
  • fivetwo84
    Options
    I have a serious food addiction & what has helped me control myself are huge salads during the day. I fill a large bowl with fresh spinach, garbanzo & lima beans, sometimes tuna, & croutons. I always use Ken's dressing. Many of them are fat free & low calorie. The one I'm using currently is Raspberry Pecan & it's fat free & only 50 calories for 2 tablespoons - for a large salad I will use about 4 tablespoons & that's only 100 calories, & that's not bad at all.

I also find that eating oatmeal & greek yogurt in the morning helps to start the day off right - it keeps me pretty full for about 4 or 5 hours.

For dinner, try to fill your plate with mostly vegetables. I like to make a lot of broccoli & zucchini - these are pretty filling & you can eat a lot of them for very little calories. A lot of my dinners consist of one of those vegetables or carrots, with a cup of rice, & some baked chicken.

For snacks, I usually go for fruit or popcorn - with both, you can eat a pretty large amount for relatively few calories. I like cheese & nuts, too, but they are very high in calories, so I try to limit how often I eat them. Have you tried Laughing Cow Cheese? They are only 35 calories per wedge & you can spread them on crackers for a snack, & it's very good. For nuts I like to buy Emerald Breakfast on the Go; they are little packets with nuts, dried fruit, & granola for around 140-190 calories per pack.

Hope you find my suggestions helpful in your journey & good luck! :]