How often to weigh yourself

Options

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but only because I am easily distracted, and seeing a number I dont like every morning reminds me to do something about it that day. x

I am like this! I don't get put off by the slight weight fluctuations as I know to expect them, but it gets me to stay on task if I weigh myself everyday.
  • MelissaJ20
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Monday. Originally, I weighed in everyday but it got very frustrating. Weight fluctuates daily and to really measure progress I find once a week is perfect. :)
  • endlessrunningh2o
    Options
    I am on the verge of cutting it out all together. Weight fluctuates so much depending on water, sodium, ect., and it can be discouraging. I am happy feeling my muscles toning and getting bigger:)

I definitely weigh myself every morning, sometimes during the night when I wake up to go to the bathroom and during the day if I have put in a long run or bike ride for this exact reason. I have an extremely rare kidney disease that requires me to consume a minimum of 2-3 gallons of liquid per day. So, if I keep an eye on my sodium consumption (goal is <1300mg's/day) and weight, I know that I am stable.
  • gingersd
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but only because I am easily distracted, and seeing a number I don't like every morning reminds me to do something about it that day. x

I am like this! I don't get put off by the slight weight fluctuations as I know to expect them, but it gets me to stay on task if I weigh myself everyday.

This is how I do it too. and I don't record weekly I only record a number i haven't seen in a while. I have been weighing in at 174 to 175 lately but I won't put that number in until i haven't seen it for a week or more
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    sometimes i weigh in once a week, sometimes everday or everyother day depends how bad/well i'm doing that week, i find it gives me a better opportunity of staying on track.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    sometimes i weigh in once a week, sometimes everday or everyother day depends how bad/well i'm doing that week, i find it gives me a better opportunity of staying on track.

Exactly what I do.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I hate that the scale taunts me everyday and I step on it. I officially weigh in and record on Saturday. But I get frustrated during the week if the scale goes up after Saturday. And for a lot of women our bodies respond to water, sodium and hormones that make our weigh flucuate dramatically. I am thinking about putting it away until Saturday so I am not tempted, but who am I kidding, I will go get it out of the cupboard and step on......

See I actually find that motivating. If I step on the scale not on a recording day, I make sure I'm extra careful and on program in the days following. I KNOW, my head and intelligence, tells me that the increase is due to all those crazy things, but I know my "official" day is coming up so I'm "extra good" so I can make sure that my Tuesday reading from the previous week is either the same or lower on the next Tuesday.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    Once a week, every monday morning after washing and shaving and cleaning my teeth.
    Well every little bit helps right??
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday and then email it to my parents and sisters to keep me honest. We're all working towards getting healthier so the weekly check-in gives us a reason to work hard. It's a tough thing to do on weeks when I've strayed but that's kind of the point, I guess.

I do check through the week sometimes out of curiosity. I've even done the entirely foolish late night weigh-in when I know I need to shock myself. The only one that really matters, though, is the Monday morning one.
  • bblomme
    Options
    I have been hopping on the scale each night and each morning and after reading some of these posts i think i should stop doing that and only do it once a week like a lot of people suggest. They say that stress can be a detriment when trying to loss weight an this seems to be a stress inducing factor for me and a lot of people. From now on I will continue to work on losing weight but will only check it once a week. Lets see how that goes for a while.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong answer here. It is totally a personal choice.

I weigh daily to keep myself more accountable, and record here a couple of times a week, gain or lose. Sometimes I wish it would show gains here -- that might give me the kick in the pants I need to get back on track more diligently.

Kaye
  • mmcorner
    mmcorner Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    everyday before breakfast
  • kware33
    kware33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I use to weigh myself everyday but would get discouraged if I had one bad day so I changed it to once a week.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in each morning after I wake up...just so I know where I'm at.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning, but I try to only look at weekly weigh-ins to track progress. I try not to get caught up in the daily fluctuations.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have read on some weight loss sites that you should weigh yourself once a week. Some say everyday. Some say once a month. How often do you weigh yourself and how does it benefit you?

I get on the scale daily...it's an obsession. But I only log it on Tuesdays. Getting on daily gives me accountability and motivation.

I weigh morning on my scale but only log tueday evening when I get weighed at weight watchers. Its a habbit thing x
  • gpacheco0768
    gpacheco0768 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself daily and losing weight; about early/mid November I took a "break" and gained 15 lbs back... knowing full well what I was doing but not caring, using the holidays as an excuse to make bad food decisions... As of 1/1, yesterday, back to daily weighing (I was thinking weekly, but why fix what isn't broken? daily worked before) and eating 1200 cal. If I don't lose day to day, or have a slight gain, I know it's because of water/etc. and I really look at the "mini" goals I set, which before was losing 10 lbs. at a time, however long that took me, but now I'm thinking I'll track my progress (on something else, like a calendar) either weekly or monthly, but use this tool for daily tracking/monitoring... it's been great to look at this last year and see what I weighed, and when... good guidance for this year's last final push to get to my goal weight!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i usually weight myself about once a month a week after my TOM. The scale is really the least usefull tool i use to know my progress.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about routine. Weigh-in once a week on Monday in the AM after going to the bathroom but before eating. In addition, always measure once a month (chest, waist, hips, thighs, calves, ankles, bicep and neck) I know it's a lot of places, but the body can be sneaky about what fat it burns, so I try to catch it in its most likely places.
  • julie20012
    Options
    Hi all,

I am new to My fitnesspal....... i have just bought some scale the another day and i have decided to weigh myself once a week.