Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Beginner Strength Training

I havent done much strength training and ive been looking around for some kind of plan but havent really found much. Any tips?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    2 I've heard of:

"Starting Strength"
    "New rules of lifting for women"

Both, especially the 2nd I've heard great things about :)
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Do exactly what's in Starting Strength and you'll see the best strength gains.
    I read the New Rules of Lifting (not the women's version but it should be similar) and it's mostly good info with some bad. Also, I found it very lacking in teaching proper form which is crucial to making progress and not hurting yourself.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    bump
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Great question - thanks for asking. I'm in the same boat.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    I started out with Chalene Extreme. I had never lifted at all before that and the program really made me love it.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    I started out with Chalene Extreme. I had never lifted at all before that and the program really made me love it.
    I am doing this now. I love it!
  • Where is the starting strength youre talking about?
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Starting Strength, New Rules for lifting or Stronglifts 5x5. Just google any one of them and you should find some info. I believe Stronglifts 5x5 is a free download and is very similiar to Strarting Strength. Both involve barbell training, so you will need a gym with olympic wts and a good bench/squat rack. I think you should download stronglifts 5x5 and read thru it. Then youtube some of the lifts to see how to perform them properly. Try to practice them at home without wts for a week just to get used to the movements. This will pay off down the road once you get to heavier wts.

http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5x5-report/
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I'm doing the program laid out in the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler and I love it. Other options are the book "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips. Or you can get free customized workouts from the site bodybuilding.com. I've also heard rave reviews about "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Good luck and start lifting!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    New Rules, baby!

Get it! Off to do me some right now...