need help from runners!

Options
Okay' so i know there are loads of you out there who run all the time, and even some of you who enjoy it :wink:
my problem is that i get sooo bored!

So, does anyone have any games i can play whilst im running?

Replies

• cxJvak
    cxJvak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So many options.
    First what kind of running do you do?
    Treadmill? Outside? On Trails? Around the Neighborhood? In place at home?
    Do you use any devices? Smart phone? Music Player?

I listen to podcasts, music, and/ or audiobooks if I'm in a learning mood.
    Sometimes I do math in my head or count.
    When I'm outside I try to learn and quiz myself on trees, plants or animals.
    If I'm in a neighborhood I try to imagine the inside of people's houses, or admire their landscaping.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I hate to love running. My advice is find a buddy! A lot of running stores have fun run groups that meet all different times through the week and ALL levels are welcome. Check that out online. There are also numerous websites dedicated for people to find running buddies.

Also, if I must run by myself I run with music and I run somewhere that has great scenery & other running people... you know, when you're running and you see other runners your stance become straighter and your speed magically speeds up! haha! I sign up for races... that keeps me motivated even if I am bored on my training runs. Knowing that I already paid money to run makes me HAVE to run.

I've been running actively for a year... I still don't like it unless I'm with someone. Motivation from others means so much to me!
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    Well, I can't stand the treadmill. Doesn't matter if I'm watching TV or listening to music, I just can't do it! So I have no help for you there.

If I'm running outside I go into my zone and sometimes actually lose track of time! I love to go running at dusk/night on the paved trail (no cars!) and just think about life. I've met several bunnies and deer on my night runs! Running in the dark is a really awesome sensation, but obviously take safety precautions like carrying a flashlight, phone, etc.

If all else fails, you could always spice up your workout with some tempo runs and speed work. That will keep you focused on your time and effort. Make sure you have good base milage before you do these though, or you will risk injuring yourself!

Edited to add: Agree with the previous post about group running! Every Saturday I do my long runs with my Marathon in Training (MIT) pace group. Makes those long runs go by a lot quicker!
  • jodieh06
    Options
    thanks for all the comments :) im an outdoor runner, about 20 minutes run from any rural area. Ive managed to get my run to just out there and back. I'll try and find a buddy, charge my mp3, and mix up my route and pace a bit! Thankyou kindly :happy:
  • claricep06
    Options
    jodie you should play the game we did walking where you have to guess how many steps you'll do between lamposts :) i just talk to my dog x
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    First let me say, if the photos in your profile are current, I'm greatly concerned that you want to lose 42 lbs to your goal weight? Maybe speaking with a dietician or medical professional may be a better start.

As far as "games" to play while running, I'm a little entertained by the question - as if you were really putting your 100% into focus on your run, you wouldn't want to play games.

If you get bored, do track repeats, fartleks, or intervals, something to mix it up and build speed. There is the PodRunner Application that I use for different BPM on running music, as opposed to my regular Ipod mix.

You may also want to do trail runs instead of regular road racing as it takes far more attention and concentration to the task to avoid injury.
  • jodieh06
    Options
    The weight loss would bring me down to 130, which im still not sure about, its more of an estimate, i'll stop when im happy :)

Im no pro at running, but have found the less i think about what im doing, the longer and further i run. Im sure i probably should be thinking about what im doing more, but that puts me off for next time..

I like the idea of trail runs, so will try and find some where close :)