Dr. Oz’s Best Time of Day to Lose Weight Timetable

Options

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Does reality actually exist before 8:00am? I've never tested this out, but it seems scary :)

I believe that requires a cup of coffee.. I know my brain cells lack sufficient function....and its always needed when I get up at 5am...
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:

He has some very informative pieces on women sneaking more iron rich foods into your daily lives. Some very good stuff . However, 6:35 in the morning is bed time for me :) silly night shift!
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can do all but the early morning exercise-I just cannot wake up enough to do it. I do exercise at lunch or after work.*sigh*
  • sandra_stoddard
    sandra_stoddard Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like :drinker:
  • sahrak1
    sahrak1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I work rotating 12hr shifts , so I have great trouble sticking to a set schedule like that one.

But I do get the principle of it

^^^^^ This xx very interesting though xx
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you think one size fits all...more power to you, I hope it works for YOU. Maybe you are "latent?"

Hilarious... no latency here. I'm sure of that.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Saturday? Unless you work 7 days/week or need to go shopping every day...

I shop every day. How else will I get the freshest fish, meats, bread and produce?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Saturday? Unless you work 7 days/week or need to go shopping every day...

I shop every day. How else will I get the freshest fish, meats, bread and produce?

Yeah I definitely need to shop more than once a week.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    While in theory, this is a brilliant schedule, not everyone works during the day and therefore being up at 6am just isn't in the cards. I used to work nights and I would go to bed at 9am, get up and shower/breakfast/workout all by 2pm, go to my 1st job by 3:30pm, get off that at 10pm, and go work the graveyard at my 2nd job by 11pm and get off at 7am the next day. I really don't miss those days, but there are plenty of people out there that have a schedule this busy or worse! My heart goes out to them!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Yeah I definitely need to shop more than once a week.

I live the car-free, urban life and I just can't buy in bulk period. I mean, I suppose I could take a cab, and shop for the whole week..but that seems stupid. It's more convenient for me to hit the market on my way to the subway stop after work. Besides, it's just me and the hubbin, so I can't buy big quantities of anything, really.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Another thought for everyone - regardless of opinions on Dr. Oz (I think he's neither quack nor genius, and see him give some helpful information to people, but whatever) - there are definitely ideas that working out FIRST THING (...check out BODY FOR LIFE If you didn't already do that plan back in the 90s, for instance...) is a major metabolic booster - and the rare time's I've managed it, I have found that it's about as good as coffee for upping my energy early on. AND I have read some reports of new studies (just in fitness mags and stuff, but credible) that show that exercising at YOUR most alert and energetic time of day (for me, either late morning or late afternoon) is best with regard to coordination and calorie burn. This, however, is a different benefit, than the "stoke the fires" one of doing it first thing. I am categorically weaker in my earlier morning workouts than in later in the day ones, I know that much (I never workout immediately upon rising, but often 9:30ish after getting some work done, since I work from home).

The Oz plan does leave gaps of more than 4 hours for food and one assumes there would be snacks implied, but whatever.

So, very plainly, you could consider, say, steppign up and down on a step or getting on an exercise cycle for like 15 or 20 minutes immediately upon waking, zombie through as best you could, and almost definitely recognize a benefit all day, but you would probably NOT want to replace your full workout with this, and yeah, you might want to be doing that workout at a "stronger" time, when you'll be able to work your hardest.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Does reality actually exist before 8:00am? I've never tested this out, but it seems scary :)

LMAO
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the early schedule would be for those that work the day shift, and just adjust it to your schedule. If you work nights, then weigh at the beginning of your work day, and so forth.

This schedule is doable for me, except for exercising 1st thing in the morning. I already get up early just to eat breakfast, can't get motivated to get up even earlier just to exercise. Oh well. I do what I can.
  • mwright24skinny
    mwright24skinny Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    :tongue: I love me some Dr. Oz!!!
  • Coleyrole
    Options
    The best time of day to lose weight is toilet time.

hahahaha!
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    6:30 AM is not the best time for me...I don't work so I am usually asleep, but if I get up to do something (like a potty break) and get on the scale, it will be up at least 1 lb from my usual weigh in time of around 9:30. And no I do not sleep until 9:30, I am usually out of bed by 8.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Grocery Shop on Saturday or your day off at 10 AM. I think the point was that if you have to grocery shop or weigh in or exercise that those times of the day are more benefical to you....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find the video of the episode. But the reasoning behind his assertions seem scientifically valid. Here is the timeline for a given day.

6:30 AM: Weigh Yourself (this means you have to get up! Ughh!)

6:35 AM: Exercise

7:30 AM: Eat Breakfast

8:00 AM: Metabolism Boost (occurs because of previous)

10:00 AM: Grocery Shop (a safe time to shop so you don't buy crap)

12:00 PM: Lunch

6:15 PM: Fiber Supplement

6:30 PM: Dinner

He doesn't mention snacks in there but obviously we need them for the in between times.

I wish there was a clip out there on some of this... it really seemed to make sense.

You need to educate yourself if this seems scientifically valid. There is no metabolic advantage to increased meal frequency, so no need to eat breakast or snack in between meals

and who cares when you weigh yourself as scale weight is basically meaningless and tells little of overall body composition
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    There was another thread, which I didn't bookmark, about a study which suggested benefits to exercising before breakfast. The time frame was a bit short, but its still interesting.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    the schedule that work is the one you can fit in your life....period. Dr Oz always manage to piss me off