Calorie Calculator

Options
My husband was curious how many calories he should eat to lose weight so I googled calorie calculator, found a calculator and came up with a figure. Out of curiosity I thought I'd put my information in to see what it said I needed... Computing my age, weight, height, etc...it recommends 1312 calories for me for Extreme Fat Loss.... I am questioning whether 1200 (as MFP recommends) is too few calories for me? Any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    well i have lost 4 lbs so far, my height is 5 feet exactly n mfp calculator gave me 1200 calories a day to eat but i found its too less for me so i increased it to 1300-1400 and whn i got used to it i lowered the calorie intake and i now eat 1200 calories a day
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and it said 1200 for me as well, I see a dietician and she told me to go no lower than 1500. EVER.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Any calorie calculation will be based on certain assumptions. MFP has a few, and I'm sure that the one you used has a few too. Without seeing the site, it's impossible to compare the two. Could you post it?
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here's the site that I used: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I'm thinking of increasing my calories to at least 1300...I just hate that it appears that I have failed for the day (not that that really matters). Is there any way to manually change the 1200 to 1300 at MFP?
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    My calorie counter shows 1191 and on here its 1200, so mines pretty on point
  • mammafrog
    mammafrog Posts: 176
    Options
    For fat loss it told me 1434 and for extreme it told me 1079...I will stick with my 1200
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Iv just been on here, it told me 1527 for fat loss and 1432 for extreme.... When i do well 1200 is more than enough but at the moment i feel like i need more, so this could be perfect.

are we going with MFP or this new site for this?

Help appreciated!! :)
  • I'm 5'7 and it said 1200 for me as well, I see a dietician and she told me to go no lower than 1500. EVER.

She's right. My Fiancee is a Personal Trainer and Nutritionist and he says the same thing - right now I'm at 1800 calories, WITH exercise, and feel great, I probably won't go into the 1500 category til I'm under 200 pounds, but I agree about not going under 1500 calories EVER
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Here's the site that I used: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I'm thinking of increasing my calories to at least 1300...I just hate that it appears that I have failed for the day (not that that really matters). Is there any way to manually change the 1200 to 1300 at MFP?
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Sorry, not good at doing the quotes. To manually change your calories you go to home, and then below it go to goals. At the bottom go to change goals, and then pick custom goals. I would up yours, I do 1300-1400 calories and I'm 5 foot 1, when I do the 1200 I plateau a lot. Hope this is right, I'm doing it from memory.
  • crudd12
    crudd12 Posts: 63
    Options
    I just had a question! I've been at 1500 and not losing! I lowered to 1200! Do you think that is a mistake? I've been on a plateau for time!
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    Options

If you change your goal on MFP to .5 lost a week or decrease your exercise goal it will let you eat more that way you won't feel like a failure for eating over the 1200.

I have heard it over and over that 1200 is too low, but it all depends on your goal, your age, your height and what you have to lose and your activity level. I just can't do 1200 at my current weight....I have been doing great at 1400-1500... I got a Bodybugg for Christmas and if I make a daily calorie burn of 2600-2800 I will up my calories accordingly. I am enjoying the journey so I am not super obsessed with losing more than 2 lbs a week.
  • karanmwk
    Options
    Thank you kaydensmom12! What you recommended worked and I changed mine to 1300. :)
  • karanmwk
    Options
    I just had a question! I've been at 1500 and not losing! I lowered to 1200! Do you think that is a mistake? I've been on a plateau for time!

Did you try the calculator that was mentioned earlier in this topic? If so, how many calories did it recommend?
  • karanmwk
    Options
    Iv just been on here, it told me 1527 for fat loss and 1432 for extreme.... When i do well 1200 is more than enough but at the moment i feel like i need more, so this could be perfect.

It looks to me like you ought to keep on doing what you've been doing! You're doing an excellent job and could probably teach us all a thing or two! :D Congrats on your loss!
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

It looks to me like you ought to keep on doing what you've been doing! You're doing an excellent job and could probably teach us all a thing or two! :D Congrats on your loss!

OMG thank you so much :) x
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Remember that MFP's recommendation is for NET calories and most other sites give a recommendation for TOTAL calories. Add your exercise calories to the MFP recommendation to get a total calorie recommendation: you might find it works out about the same as the total given by the other calculator (it does for me).
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP calorie counts are too low. I tried it with their count the first day on here (back in July). I was starving and irritable. There was no way I would have succeeded doing this for the long haul had I kept it at the number they gave. But that's me. I eat a lot. HAHA.

So, I scouted the web for other calorie counters and made adjustments accordingly.

I gave myself about 200 more than what MFP said...and then I workout almost everyday in order to eat my exercise calories. I'm sure if I didn't do that, I'd lose the weight faster, but I want to be able to sustain it...and not be grumpy or want to kill someone in the process. Seriously, I get SUPER grouchy when I'm hungry. HAHA. :)

I actually just re-set the calorie amount each time I change my weight and it adjusts it. I just adjust it back. HA. I hate when it turns red, too!

seems to work. I've lost almost 30 lbs since July. The loss is slowing down, but that's okay. I knew it was coming. :P
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    That site gave me 2360 which is about 500 more than mfp gave me. I already knew that 1800 was too low and I had adjusted mine to about 2060. Many days I go over by 200 and I'm not concerned. I've been losing steady so I think it's a good number for me. This is all without any exercise consideration.
  • wcsangel
    Options
    Mine says 1238 calories for fat loss - which is near enough!