Exercises for flexibility, agility and balance

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
I'm too out of shape for yoga, but would like to regain some lost abilities. When did it happen that I stopped being able to touch my toes? Any ideas for home exercises geared to eventually do a yoga class?

Replies

• homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to go to the yoga class and just do what you can. As you go along you will gain more and more flexibility as time goes on. Worth a try... I'll go with you!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You are the BESTTT!!
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    With yoga you should be able to tailor it to your comfort level. Many classes and videos give you different options for different poses. I've been doing it for a while and still can't touch my toes easily. It's definately not a requirement. You may also want to try out water aerobics. It's easy on your joints but gets you moving and the water adds some nice resistance.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yoga studios often offer classes for a variety of fitness levels, have you tried looking for a "gentle yoga" class, or an adaptive yoga class? I started doing yoga back when I was 240 and had very little flexibility (I lost it do to a medical condition, it was bad). It wasn't even a special yoga class, but the instructor worked with me to do stuff like use blocks or straps when I needed. Try shopping around for a studio/class/video/group that will work for you.
  • WhitneyJerome
    WhitneyJerome Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqQZ6oHjIFc&feature=channel

try this link. This what I started yoga with and it got me the higher levels very quickly. She is a professional yoga instructor and out of everything I have tried she is my favorite =)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I started yoga this morning, if that won't get ya flexible nothing will, I didn't realize how tough this was gonna be haha...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Rodney Yee, "Yoga for Beginners" DVD----probably available from Amazon
    a good way to get started with yoga :bigsmile:
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    never too out of shape for yoga, just find a class that suits you right now. start off with gentle or level 1 or better yet a beginners class. any decent teacher will modify and accomodate for you so that you have an experience that works with your body.